Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:56:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of Bitcoin? "Here Comes the National Internet"  (Read 1855 times)
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 12:06:15 AM

Here Comes the National Internet

It's happening in Iran and the U.S. is only a few steps behind.

I first heard about the concept of a national Internet over a decade ago while visiting the offices of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and discussing threats to the Internet. It was apparent then and it is apparent now that most countries, including the U.S., will eventually shut down the "World Wide" Web and instead use the technologies developed by the Internet community to cocoon itself. It solves endless political problems with the Web that plague almost every country.

[...]

--- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398527,00.asp

They're getting desperate aren't they.  Cry

Notable comment:

This reminds me of a theory I bolted together around 20 years ago.

That for protocols like this to become endemic, it takes around 75 years to become completely pervasive in the mindset of the affected society.

The First generation don't want or appreciate any overwhelming need for radical change and resist - even if only in a passive way.

Second generation it's all they've known as a lifestyle option, but remember their parents reminiscing about their past freedom or the 'good old days'.  Minor pockets of resistance easily averted to support the 'greater good'.

The Third generation are amost completely dissociated from the 'old' concepts - and as such, only know what the status-quo is. Sheeple and compliance. 75 years from hero to zero.

* herzmeister is angry  Angry

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 01:59:22 AM

Disgusting.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 08:54:17 AM

Will not happen.

I still can't believe SOPA and PIPA will pass (god I hope I'm right).
Call me a silly optimistic, but I believe the world is moving towards a better, more free place.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:52:19 AM

well there are telephone lines and crytographic means of exchanging info- have these been broken? how do you declare war, bribe, agree a price to exchange goods, exchange goods from a cocoon?  I am having some difficulty imagining how this new world will function- maybe hundreds of noth Korea's might be possible? what do you think? . reg.
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 12:31:14 PM

what makes me angry about the "notable comment" is that things like this have already happened, god knows how many times, last time when they introduced the FED.

I posted this here in this section with the sensationalist title "Death of Bitcoin?" because I do have hope that this time, there is more incentive for a more active resistance.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
DoubleIcaras

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 12:39:19 PM

I doubt this law will ever pass, but that doesn't mean that we should sit on our ass and do nothing either.

I'm really happy with major companies doing an internet blackout and I hope more will follow. Smiley

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 12:48:05 PM

I doubt this law will ever pass, but that doesn't mean that we should sit on our ass and do nothing either.

I'm really happy with major companies doing an internet blackout and I hope more will follow. Smiley

I blogged about it on my own humble personal blog.
I would "blackout my blog" if I thought anyone in the world cared, especially SOPA supporters Smiley

PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 02:48:11 PM

I would "blackout my blog" if I thought anyone in the world cared, especially SOPA supporters Smiley

Ripper- may I have permission to use this content (possibly uncredited) on my sites (editthis.info and cueflash.com). I will most likely tweak it, but I need a good explanation as to why sopa is dangerous to the users of my sites.

Thanks,
Rob

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 03:03:01 PM

Ripper- may I have permission to use this content (possibly uncredited) on my sites (editthis.info and cueflash.com). I will most likely tweak it, but I need a good explanation as to why sopa is dangerous to the users of my sites.

Thanks,
Rob

Well, if you copy-paste large chunks of it, I'll appreciate a reference/link to the original post.
You have "permission" to use it - meaning, I won't persecute you or anything, it's public domain.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 03:26:40 PM

It takes a lot before Craigslist puts anything on their home page, but this must have struck a nerve:

STOP SOPA & PIPA
HR3261 & S968 are
threatening CL and
the rest of your
Internet. Most of
the web sites you use
strongly oppose these
bills. Find out why, and
how you can help put
a stop to this madness
before it's too late!
DoubleIcaras

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 03:57:37 PM

I think every site, no matter how small is making a statement by blacking it out. Smiley
Good for you if you do it!

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 04:06:41 PM

Will not happen.

Call me a silly optimistic, but I believe the world is moving towards a better, more free place.

SOPA just needs better formulation and due process established.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 07:54:46 PM

SOPA just needs better formulation and due process established.

SOPA is designed from the start to circumvent due process. Why do you think the revised version exempts domestic websites? Foreign websites typically don't have to follow US law because they are not located in the United States.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:11:55 PM

Will not happen.

It's fun to stay at Gitmo Hooray!
I got a free ticket in because of NDAA

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: