Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:35:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] plugin for dd-wrt that allows selling internet connection to neighbors  (Read 5918 times)
uncaer9

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 07:45:51 PM

Great idea, I have bought my first open-source router recently. But I don't think any of my neighbours would use it.

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀                 ▀████▄
   ▄███▀
  ▄██▀
 ▄██▀   ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██▀    ████████▀▀   ▀▀████████
███     ██████▀  ██▄▄   ▀██████     ███
███     ██████   ██████  ██████     ███
███     ██████▄  ██▀▀   ▄██████     ███
▀██▄    ████████▄▄   ▄▄████████    ▄██▀
 ▀██▄   ▀█████████████████████▀   ▄██▀
  ▀██▄                           ▄██▀
   ▀███▄                       ▄███▀
     ▀████▄                 ▄████▀
       ▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
           ▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀
PUREVIDZ█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀
[][████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄               ▄█████▄   ▄▄
██▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄        ▄█████████████▀
▀█████▄▄     ████████████▀
 ▀██████████▄████████████
█████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████████
   ███████████████████
    ▀▀██████████████▀
     ▄▄███████████▀
▀███████████████▀
  ▀▀████████▀▀
]█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
█▄█████▄█
▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:24:52 PM

Great idea, I have bought my first open-source router recently. But I don't think any of my neighbours would use it.

Probably not, but it would be a great way to advertise bitcoin at least. And maybe if you would sell it really cheap, like 5 eur/month, then it would catch better the neighbours attention.

Getting my own internet hopefully tomorrow, and going to setup dd-wrt at some point...

MORA

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 11:08:49 AM

Hmm, how are people going to pay with bitcoin, if the network is blocked until they do so ? Smiley
(Assuming one does not have a mobile wallet with a few coins)
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:46:11 PM

Hmm, how are people going to pay with bitcoin, if the network is blocked until they do so ? Smiley

I can imagine two ways:
1. Seller allows free use of traffic that looks like Bitcoin for X hours/MAC (most people won't change their MAC address)
2. Buyer creates an offline signed transaction, sends to seller
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:08:43 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2012, 04:33:27 PM by kangasbros

I had mobile wallet with couple of coins, in addition I had a lousy 3g connection via my mobile phone. Mobile connections are common nowadays, however they are not that reliable and don't offer high bandwidth. In Finland you can get one even as low as 1 eur/month, in Germany where I currenöty reside mobile internet starts from 10 eur/month.

Edit: In addition, I think that almost all operators offer internet connection built in for something like 24 snt/megabyte. Of course it isn't cheap, but is enough to access your bitcoins and pay for the connection Smiley

MORA

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:27:54 PM

right, one could get online using the phone and broadcast a transaction, even without catching up first, as long as its not new coins.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 04:53:07 PM

I can imagine two ways:
1. Seller allows free use of traffic that looks like Bitcoin for X hours/MAC (most people won't change their MAC address)

there is an easier solution that avoids all that headaches

1. You allow any person to have bitcoin connectivity. The portal would allow only port 8333 connection to a bitcoind daemon until the client pays. It's safe for the bitcoind daemon because the portal establishes ssl/tls connections to make json-rpc requests and for the client too because he can update his block-chain and pay you the coins. The AP owner would be interested being on and serving the longest blockchain, the good one, because if not the coins he receives could be worthless and the client would not have to trust the AP owner because his client already includes some blockchain hashes including the entire genesis block. It's on the wiki Smiley

All this has a side effect... anyone could use the bitcoin infrastructure for free and that means you will never be left without connectivity when making a payment in a local store when 10 wifi networks are present.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:05:56 PM

I can imagine two ways:

there is an easier solution that avoids all that headaches

1. You allow any person to have bitcoin connectivity. The portal would allow only port 8333 connection to a bitcoind daemon until the client pays. It's safe for the bitcoind daemon because the portal establishes ssl/tls connections to make json-rpc requests and for the client too because he can update his block-chain and pay you the coins. The AP owner would be interested being on and serving the longest blockchain, the good one, because if not the coins he receives could be worthless and the client would not have to trust the AP owner because his client already includes some blockchain hashes including the entire genesis block. It's on the wiki Smiley

All this has a side effect... anyone could use the bitcoin infrastructure for free and that means you will never be left without connectivity when making a payment in a local store when 10 wifi networks are present.

Yeah, this would be optimal - perhaps sell a preconfigured router, which accepts connections on standard bitcoin port, and perhaps on Stratum, BCCAPI and Electrum ports too  - so anyone would be able to use their bitcoin wallet easily without hassles. This could also be useful for bitcoin accepting stores.

teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:55:23 AM

The problem of not having a connection to send coins is a non issue..

You make it available, and use a web based coin payment page.. 

If you look at captive portal and hot spot, they all work perfectly fine..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 07:21:39 AM

Lets assume you are connecting on your laptop.  You connect to the router and get redirected to a captive portal which gives you an address to pay to along with a text box to paste an offline transaction. You can either scan the address with your smartphone and pay that way or generate an offline transaction on your laptop and send it to the site directly.

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 02:08:56 PM

It's not quite that simple; typical captive portals require that you trust them with your credit card number, but you would never want to give a captive portal your private key.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 02:19:33 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2012, 10:28:42 AM by paraipan

It's not quite that simple; typical captive portals require that you trust them with your credit card number, but you would never want to give a captive portal your private key.

yep, with bitcoin every party is his own payment processor so the clients need bitcoin network connectivity or bad things may happen. Imagine a client having a shared wallet with another member of his family tries to pay you an hour of internet connectivity but the other person spent some coins on a new pair of shoes the shop next door.

His mobile wallet doesn't know it when creating the transaction so it will look like a double spend to you, but if you share that info with him, the wallet could redo the transaction using the correct coins. Now he happily browses the web searching to buy geeky things that cost the same amount as spent by the other family member Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 06:48:03 PM

Offline transactions. You don't have to give anyone a private key.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 01:31:05 AM

Most likely against the ISP's terms of use. Be careful how you tread or they will find you.

This... they will either fuck with your customers connections (html injections for one example), or filter you.  Also, many connections have monthly cap.  I'm talking about in the US, on Comcast's network to be clear.  Other jurisdictions and ISPs will vary, so check the terms of use.  They will find you.  Your statistics will be very different.

What if youre not using the regular net but instead using freenet as the network this supports ?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: