Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:32:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will google trends show a bump starting Jan 15th?
yes, a big bump - 35 (31.3%)
yes, a little bump - 54 (48.2%)
no - 23 (20.5%)
Total Voters: 111

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Good Wife episode cause a noticeable bump in Google Trends? [edit:yes!]  (Read 5313 times)
old_engineer (OP)

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2012, 10:09:27 PM by old_engineer

The "Bitcoin for Dummies" episode airs tomorrow, and the youtube preview has 20k views!  Will there be an obvious bump in bitcoin searches after it airs?

In the past, I think all bitcoin publicity hype has been just that - hype, with no effect on bitcoin usage.  Even if people stopped by the bitpay CES booth every minute, that would come to about 2k people over the whole CES.

A secondary measure might be the "what is bitcoin?" video, which has 884,257 views right now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

After or even during the episode the price will drop as people wonder where the pop is and panic sell.  Swing traders will continue to cash in.  Many days later the price will slowly rise due to the mildly increased exposure.  I personally believe the rise will be greater then the fall. 

SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:01:01 PM

people watch these shows for the limbic system hack:
they get their emotions driven!

Notice they do not watch it for financial advice.

I personally have never googled anything after a series except the series wiki perhaps.

don't let me make you question your assumptions
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:18:49 PM

I personally have never googled anything after a series except the series wiki perhaps.

No offense, but your not the norm, try watching something engaging, something educational.. and then maybe you will google things after..

Watching the Simpsons isnt exactly engaging..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 08:36:22 PM

No offense, but your not the norm, try watching something engaging, something educational.. and then maybe you will google things after..

While unfortunately, I do think he is "the norm" I do also believe there are enough people who will google it and talk about it over the "water cooler" to increase bitcoin awareness.

Buy some bitcoins now before they're all gone!  haha

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
teflone

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:49:55 PM

While unfortunately, I do think he is "the norm" I do also believe there are enough people who will google it and talk about it over the "water cooler" to increase bitcoin awareness.

Buy some bitcoins now before they're all gone!  haha

Im Canadian, we have inquiring minds...   it might not translate to others.. Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:12:37 PM

Buy some bitcoins now before they're all gone!  haha

I talk about it around the coffee machine (water cooler so to speak) at work. This is actually how i learned of it and am up to about 18 BTC. I now hold more BTC than the person who introduced me and I have introduced a few others. Its very easy to see how Bitcoins could go viral.

Also telflone I am Canadian too. GO CANUCKS!
bittenbob

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:13:09 PM

in Canada...TV watches you

Im sure if our current leader had his way they would.
teflone

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:16:38 PM

Ehhhhh!

I have some respect for Harper, Canada has done wonders in the last 4 years..

But I do see what your saying..  

In Canada, Film Board Pays YOU!

I watched an episode of the littlest hobo the other day...  havent saw that show in 25 years!

Bittenbob, where abouts are ya ?

bittenbob

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:34:56 PM

Ehhhhh!

I watched an episode of the littlest hobo the other day...  havent saw that show in 25 years!

Toronto. I give Harper 0 credit because he gets credit for all of Martin's fiscal policies. If it were not for his banking regulations that Harper would have done away with given the chance then we would have been right in the shitter with the USA/ The intrusions into privacy and his stupid dumb on crime omni bus crime bill are going to set this country back generations. He wants to lock up small time pot growers longer than child rapists (MMS for pot will be higher than rape). It is truly a dark period in our countries history.
teflone

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:55:38 PM

Ehhhhh!

Toronto. I give Harper 0 credit because he gets credit for all of Martin's fiscal policies. If it were not for his banking regulations that Harper would have done away with given the chance then we would have been right in the shitter with the USA/ The intrusions into privacy and his stupid dumb on crime omni bus crime bill are going to set this country back generations. He wants to lock up small time pot growers longer than child rapists (MMS for pot will be higher than rape). It is truly a dark period in our countries history.

I whole heartedly agree with you on that, the war on drugs is stupid, specially with pot. But personally I think he has a LOT of pressure to tighten up the drug laws from big brother down south.. Locking up pot growers and smokers is hilariously dumb, and infringes on our basic rights. It should be treated like Alcohol or tobacco.  And how about Mcsquinty, raising tax on booze, like we dont pay enough already...

PS. Steeltown here Smiley

bittenbob

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 10:06:05 PM

Yeah the booze tax is silly but that is the law. The law mandates that minimum alcohol prices must rise with inflation. At least in the case of that the money goes into ontario's coffers which pays for health care. Ultimately it is a voluntary tax buying booze which fundamentally I don't have a problem with.

Another stupid thing is the LGR. You have to register your cat, dog and car but not your guns now. The outright destruction of this information is what is truly wasting money because if we decide in the future to reinstate it the cost would be outrageous. And don't get me wrong I love to shoot guns but you can never be too careful when it comes to firearms.

Any progress Canada has made over the past 4 years is thanks to the people and not any government.
teflone

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 10:25:42 PM

Yeah the booze tax is silly but that is the law. The law mandates that minimum alcohol prices must rise with inflation. At least in the case of that the money goes into ontario's coffers which pays for health care. Ultimately it is a voluntary tax buying booze which fundamentally I don't have a problem with.

Another stupid thing is the LGR. You have to register your cat, dog and car but not your guns now. The outright destruction of this information is what is truly wasting money because if we decide in the future to reinstate it the cost would be outrageous. And don't get me wrong I love to shoot guns but you can never be too careful when it comes to firearms.

Any progress Canada has made over the past 4 years is thanks to the people and not any government.

Well we will have to agree to disagree! Smiley

I have an issue with the LGR, but its too late now, and yes, since it was instated, we certainly shouldnt stop or destroy the info now that its recorded.  I still say they were concentrating on the issue the wrong way, the old saying, outlaws will be the only ones with guns argument..

The law about raising taxes in unison with inflation is fine, but my paycheck isnt raising fast enough to keep up with the "Immediate change in gas prices" so to speak, if you get what Im saying.. An analogy, gas is just an example of a thought process Im trying convey.

bittenbob

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 10:40:32 PM

Inflation sucks and my wages also havent gone up at all in the past 4 years. As for gas, well when I moved to the big city I had to get rid of my cars because I apparently live in the most expensive part of the country for insurance. As for the old argument on guns, it wasnt illegal to own guns as long as you are properly licensed so that saying is false. What it does provide is incentive to lock up your guns and to make them not easily accessible (for thieves).

On the opposite end of the spectrum I have seen crazy shit with guns in the states. People driving around with AK-47s and enough ammo to start a war every day. In detroit its just crazy how many gunfights there are every day and how many shootings go on. Like I said I love shooting guns but definitely feel safer with the regulation.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 10:44:43 PM

Inflation sucks and my wages also havent gone up at all in the past 4 years. As for gas, well when I moved to the big city I had to get rid of my cars because I apparently live in the most expensive part of the country for insurance. As for the old argument on guns, it wasnt illegal to own guns as long as you are properly licensed so that saying is false. What it does provide is incentive to lock up your guns and to make them not easily accessible (for thieves).

On the opposite end of the spectrum I have seen crazy shit with guns in the states. People driving around with AK-47s and enough ammo to start a war every day. In detroit its just crazy how many gunfights there are every day and how many shootings go on. Like I said I love shooting guns but definitely feel safer with the regulation.

We're not all nuts down here.  In West Virginia, we all have guns and use them frequently.  Very rarely does a human get injured by a firearm.  But wild animals are infinitely tastier than store-bought meat, not to mention much cheaper.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
teflone

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:08:20 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2012, 11:24:29 PM by teflone

Well, we wont get into the ol' americans and their guns speech! lol Smiley

They must be regulated, and it should not be your god given birth right to bare arms.

I work intimately with armed guards nearly everyday, and have taken my courses every year as required by my job and I wouldnt have it any other way. Yet I own no restricted guns, I dont feel a need to personally defend myself with a handgun, let alone a monster ar14 or ak74/47 those are simply ridiculous hunting or otherwise.

Thats what my guards are for.

Would I be this way if living in the US?..  No way, I would pack absolutely. But thats because of the job I have.

One of a million reasons I love Canada..

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:35:07 PM

I see guns and the internet as two very similar things in regards to regulation.  Any effort will be futile. Technology will always prevail.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/20/is-printing-a-gun-the-same-as-buying-a-gun/
teflone

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:38:53 PM

I see guns and the internet as two very similar things in regards to regulation.  Any effort will be futile. Technology will always prevail.

Awesome article, Im actually in the process of making a 3d printer...

Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:40:49 PM

Awesome article, Im actually in the process of making a 3d printer...

Which printer?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:40:53 PM

Yep... You just force people to hide their actions with regulations.  Better to live in small communities where you feel welcome and aren't afraid of your neighbors if you ask me.  People cause violence against each other out of a feeling of isolation, not because you allow them access to weapons.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: