Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:55:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged Part 1 Opens Today  (Read 2482 times)
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 01:47:08 PM

So, I'm going to see Atlas Shrugged Part 1 in a few hours. I'm bracing myself for the inevitable shitstorm of "the book was better" comments and the backlash from the all randroids that forbid any questioning of their demigod. I love breaking the balls of anyone that follows people rather than ideas. It's the same criticism I have of the paulheads but I digress. I'll post a review of the movie production (rather than the ideas contained therein) when I return. I don't care if it's absolute garbage as long as it exposes more people to ideas of economic liberty.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 02:38:18 PM

I can't wait to see it either, but I've actually read the book, and I'd say that the movie is bound to be better.  T the book was okay, but I though it read like a screenplay anyway.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 03:59:16 PM

Atlas Shrugged was a real 'eye opener' for me; however it took about 2years to digest and 'move on/sort through' the concepts of objectivism.

I now believe Voluntaryism is the most moral philosophy.

I'm looking forward to the moive, I hope it is good.  While I don't agree with much of the ideology, if it at-least encourages people to think for themselves it is better than nothing.

One off NP-Hard.
Anonymous

April 15, 2011, 04:57:36 PM

The movie is a giant ad for  train travel apparently.

Report back here and tell everyone how many images of trains are in it.

Theres a massive push by warren buffet whose company invested in railways to get the government to build them under the shadow of needing it for transporting humans when in reality its about transporting goods on trains.  http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2010-03-25-buffett23_CV_N.htm

Its a propaganda piece so the worlds largest investor can reap the rewards of getting free infrastructure built.

Have you noticed the amount of politicians and public figures touting building trains as the way forward?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hill--knowlton-appointed-as-agency-of-record-for-the-us-high-speed-rail-association-86003872.html is the reason.

Atlas shrugged indeed.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 05:18:07 PM

Theres a massive push by warren buffet whose company invested in railways to get the government to build them under the shadow of needing it for transporting humans when in reality its about transporting goods on trains.  http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2010-03-25-buffett23_CV_N.htm

Its a propaganda piece so the worlds largest investor can reap the rewards of getting free infrastructure built.

Have you noticed the amount of politicians and public figures touting building trains as the way forward?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hill--knowlton-appointed-as-agency-of-record-for-the-us-high-speed-rail-association-86003872.html is the reason.

Atlas shrugged indeed.

Interesting choice of movie to use to promote railroads, considering they all fall apart and people die. That is if it follows the book at all.
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 07:29:10 PM

I just got back. This movie was part 1 of 2 so they didn't get that far. It got up to the point where they found the advanced engine and started looking for who made it. There weren't that many shots of trains in it.

Now, on to the review...

The pacing was way too fast. The characters weren't developed enough. The main protagonists weren't sympathetic. The politicians weren't slimy enough. The acting was good except for two scenes, one is shown in the trailer where the guy is yelling, a slight case of overacting. The production values were good. It didn't have that made-for-tv feel that some people were complaining about. Overall, I would recommend it as entertainment but it's pretty much devoid of any deep message.

By the way, if you want to get the same message as Atlas Shrugged in less than 50 pages then just read this book.

If you're too lazy to do so, here's an old lady that will read it to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj_0k2QqRNA
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 07:47:58 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2011, 08:11:36 PM by bitcoin2cash

The pacing was way too fast. The characters weren't developed enough. The main protagonists weren't sympathetic. The politicians weren't slimy enough. The acting was good except for two scenes, one is shown in the trailer where the guy is yelling, a slight case of overacting. The production values were good. It didn't have that made-for-tv feel that some people were complaining about. Overall, I would recommend it as entertainment but it's pretty much devoid of any deep message.

Should be perfect for the attention-span and cultural depth of neo-conservatives.

True but unfortunately the message doesn't make it through and it's the liberals trying to create a permenant welfare state that really need to understand Atlas Shrugged.

I forgot to mention that the average age was about 60 at the theater I was at. Though, it was a matinée.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:09:46 PM

Going to see the late showing of this tonight. I'll report back.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 05:31:31 PM

imma pirate it!
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 06:12:48 PM

I doubt this movie will ever hit Europe >_>

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 07:25:18 PM

OK, it was all right, but the ending was completely wrong. L2 character development.

I had to go to Massachusetts to see it, which is almost as bad.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 07:53:56 PM

OK, it was all right, but the ending was completely wrong. L2 character development.

I had to go to Massachusetts to see it, which is almost as bad.

HA! There's that smile in my face right there, thank you! Smiley

(I'm in Europe, not Massachusetts, btw, but I guess it is funny either way)
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2011, 10:47:53 PM

The book was ok, as a story meh. The characters in the book are too 1dimensional. All the men that Ms. Taggart admires are all copies of each other. All the bad people are the same etc.

However, this wasn't meant to be a great novel, but Rands Magnum Opus for her philosophy.

There should be someone along here any minute to tell you  about a turd finally dropping from the ass.

With regards Rand herself, from what I've read she was so uncompromising that by the end of her life she had almost no friends. She stuck to her philosophy but it cost her.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 11:05:03 PM

She stuck to her philosophy but it cost her.

Except for the bit where she went on government assistance...

It was never a violation of objectivism to take advantage of the system that exists.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 12:25:28 PM

I'm looking forward to watching it.
The trailer made me a bit hopeful.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 08:00:09 PM

It was never a violation of objectivism to take advantage of the system that exists.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Really?

I guess she didn't *ask*, but if someone is offering another man's life, she'll take it.

Note:  I don't have a problem with taking advantage of a system up to the point I was stolen from.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 09:12:03 PM

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Really?

I guess she didn't *ask*, but if someone is offering another man's life, she'll take it.

Note:  I don't have a problem with taking advantage of a system up to the point I was stolen from.

I can't say for sure, as it's been years since I've read either book, but I might be getting Objectivism confused with Agorism in this manner.  Nonetheless, the is certainly no way that Ayn Rand ever got back from SS as much as she was compelled to contribute.  Getting back as much or more (adjusted for inflation) involves either an exceptionally long life, permanent disability by mid-life, or some other statisticly unlikely scenario.

Anonymous

April 19, 2011, 10:26:16 PM

Atlas shrugged indeed.

Interesting choice of movie to use to promote railroads, considering they all fall apart and people die. That is if it follows the book at all.

Dagny=Warren Buffett
Anonymous

April 19, 2011, 10:27:03 PM

imma pirate it!

http://www.lmptfy.com/?q=atlas+shrugged

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: