Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:29:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Government Is Turning Seized Silk Road Bitcoins Into Cash  (Read 1792 times)
jinjuro

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:42:43 PM

I think they cannot sell it until the trial is done. That could take 2 years.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:49:17 PM

Hypothetically, couldn't the buyer of the BTC just get access/control to the coins, but decide not to move them?

That would be stupid for them to do. They have no proof that the private key wont be used in the future.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:03:00 PM

back in the day when illigally gained money was boxed up and then incinerated, to ensure no one profited from the proceeds of crime.

but this topic today proves that authorities profit from crime.

it would have been much better to dump the coins into an address without a known privkey.. and let it become part of the lost bitcoins pile.

i would love to know who has the dollars and how they will be spent.

so remember next time you get a parking/speeding ticket, the cops are not there for road safety, they are there to get their monthly bonus

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:04:14 PM

great.  now the govt. has infinite money  Roll Eyes

i am here.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:06:41 PM

Likely the truth here.
Either way we need more BTC, there is not enough in the world.  Smiley
I understand it's "divisible", but many people will want to own at least one BTC.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:09:44 PM

Likely the truth here.
I understand it's "divisible", but many people will want to own at least one BTC.

most people would also want to own a tonne of gold. but there is only 170,000 tonnes of gold in the world.. so grams and ounces have to suffice, much like microbitcoins and satoshi's will have to suffice

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:56:57 AM

most people would also want to own a tonne of gold. but there is only 170,000 tonnes of gold in the world.. so grams and ounces have to suffice, much like microbitcoins and satoshi's will have to suffice

Most people measure the gold in either ounces or grams. So if we calculate based on that, then there are some 5,465,500,000 ounces of gold, or some 170,000,000,000 grams of gold. That is almost 25 grams for every human being on this earth.  Grin

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:04:17 AM

This type of FUD has been being spread sense day one.  I anxiously await some facts but until then I'm putting on my fudblokers  Cool
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:39:49 AM

The nice thing about bitcoin is that you can just check for yourself:

http://blockchain.info/address/1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX?offset=0&filter=0

None of the Silk Road seized coins have been moved.

Hypothetically, couldn't the buyer of the BTC just get access/control to the coins, but decide not to move them?

Uhhh…I suppose hypothetically someone could be stupid enough to purchase $13 million dollars of bitcoins and not move them to an address under their sole control.  That same hypothetical person could also withdraw $13 million in cash from Citibank and leave it for safe keeping in the bank's lunch room.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:01:43 AM

Likely the truth here.

Most of the people just want more BTC.
If they get 0.01 btc, they want to own 1 btc. If they own 10 btc, the want to own 100 btc. Smiley

mktrader

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Hello World!!!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:07:26 AM

No way. They cannot legally sell those coins unless there is a final court verdict on this case - and that can take a long time.

Price Poll: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555609
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:14:34 AM

No way. They cannot legally sell those coins unless there is a final court verdict on this case - and that can take a long time.

A final court verdict can include multiple appeals if one side is determined enough to reverse the original result.
...and that can take a much longer time.

BitcoinUK

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 08:26:58 AM

Most people measure the gold in either ounces or grams. So if we calculate based on that, then there are some 5,465,500,000 ounces of gold, or some 170,000,000,000 grams of gold. That is almost 25 grams for every human being on this earth.  Grin

and there's:
2,100,000,000,000,000 satoshi's. that is almost enough for 30000 satoshi's for every human being on this planet.

so lets put it into context.
in america the average life savings is $40-$50k (obviously averaged out from the super rich to the super poor)
in england the average life savings is £50-£60k (obviously averaged out from the super rich to the super poor)
in scotland  the average life savings is £30-£40k (obviously averaged out from the super rich to the super poor)

there are many other rich countries above 30000, and many countries below 30000 units of their local value

all in all on average it strangely shows that each person (based on units of value of their native country) is also proportionate to the 30000 satoshi / person. but remember within each community there will be some that have atleast double to 10000x the wealth of others meaning that some will have over a few btc(the wealthy), where others will be working minimum wage and only putting a couple satoshi's aside each paycheck for their "rainy day fund"
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 08:46:43 AM

The article I read was about a Silk Road vendor from the UK that was busted and his bitcoins were sold.

Not the huge FBI seized coins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 09:30:16 AM

The article I read was about a Silk Road vendor from the UK that was busted and his bitcoins were sold.

Not the huge FBI seized coins.

i heard that slomp was from the netherlands... and busted in miami

kind of funny how fast 'chinese whispers' can easily turn him into a UK resident, even with the link in the OP and then the department of justice link inside the article..

Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:36:09 AM

Government-seized property is usually sold via auctions.

Selling on the exchanges is a kind of auction.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: