Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:06:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Version 0.6.2 available  (Read 8330 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:30:46 PM

I think it would be more useful, for people like me who don't keep the client running all the time, to display the date and time for when transactions are added to the blockchain and not when my client happens to catch up and notices those transactions. 

For instance I might do several transactions over the week but when I start my client up at the end of the week - today for example - it makes it appear all those transactions happened just today. 

I know I could investigate using blockchain.info to find this information but it would more convenient if the client could display proper transaction times. 

For people who do keep the client running all the time they wouldn't even notice a change if this was implemented. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:45:00 PM

From the client's perspective, there isn't any way to tell except with the block timestamps which I doubt it will trust.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 10:58:29 PM

When sending coins from one of your addresses to another one of your addresses, the client only displays an entry saying "transaction to yourself" without listing the amount or the from/to address.
While this isn't a bug, it makes keeping track of your coins difficult. Blockchain.info for example lists the transaction just like every other one; I suggest that the client should do the same.

You should perhaps create an issue ticket directly on Github.

Dia
I don't have an account there, maybe someone could push it to github?

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 12:03:57 AM

In the freebsd port tree (/usr/ports/net-p2p/bitcoin) there is still the v0.4.0 version.
Does any of you guys have the skills or know who we can ask to bring this port up to 0.6.2?
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 12:06:43 AM

In the freebsd port tree (/usr/ports/net-p2p/bitcoin) there is still the v0.4.0 version.
Does any of you guys have the skills or know who we can ask to bring this port up to 0.6.2?

Looks like the committer is shaun at freebsd dot org. Strangely he updated the Makefile two days ago.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Onichan

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:41:30 AM

From the client's perspective, there isn't any way to tell except with the block timestamps which I doubt it will trust.
I thought I read the other day that the blocks are timestamped with the current epoch time according to whoever solved it, using unsigned integer?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:43:41 AM

I thought I read the other day that the blocks are timestamped with the current epoch time according to whoever solved it, using unsigned integer?
Yeah well the "according to who solved it" is what I was thinking about. But I don't know enough about that part of the system to say a whole lot about it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Bitsky

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 01:57:06 PM

Ran into another bug:

I sent some coins (using coincontrol) from one of my addresses (A) to another person (B) and decided to send the leftover amount (essentially the change) to one of my addresses (C).
The transaction to the other user just shows up fine in the transactions tab, however the one to myself is missing in the list.
Since the involved balances are all correct (A to B is ok, change went to C, A is empty), I assume it's just not displayed in the transaction list.

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 02:03:24 PM

Ran into another bug:

I sent some coins (using coincontrol) from one of my addresses (A) to another person (B) and decided to send the leftover amount (essentially the change) to one of my addresses (C).
The transaction to the other user just shows up fine in the transactions tab, however the one to myself is missing in the list.
Since the involved balances are all correct (A to B is ok, change went to C, A is empty), I assume it's just not displayed in the transaction list.

This is not a bug, it's a feature. It's not shown since, conceptually, it "never really left your wallet." (Which glosses over all the technical details which you are 100% familiar with, but our target audience will not be.)

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Bitsky

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 02:56:09 PM

This is not a bug, it's a feature. It's not shown since, conceptually, it "never really left your wallet." (Which glosses over all the technical details which you are 100% familiar with, but our target audience will not be.)
Then it's a bug that all others transactions to myself show up? I've been using coincontrol to move around a few of my coins from one address to another (yeah, I shouldn't care about that, but sometimes I'm just like that) and each of those gets listed. Without the sending/receiving address and the amount though, see my bug report a few posts earlier here (well, the amount shows up, but only if you double click a transaction). I understand that automatic coin-change transactions don't need to be displayed, but when I manually create the transaction, I expect it to be listed.

As for coin-change in general: it would be nice if the change would go to the address from which coins are send. Or if there was an option to display all transactions, even automatic change transfers.

Quote from: Rich Kulawiec
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
Grin

Diapolo

Activity: 769

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 03:02:51 PM

Then it's a bug that all others transactions to myself show up? I've been using coincontrol to move around a few of my coins from one address to another (yeah, I shouldn't care about that, but sometimes I'm just like that) and each of those gets listed. Without the sending/receiving address and the amount though, see my bug report a few posts earlier here (well, the amount shows up, but only if you double click a transaction). I understand that automatic coin-change transactions don't need to be displayed, but when I manually create the transaction, I expect it to be listed.

As for coin-change in general: it would be nice if the change would go to the address from which coins are send. Or if there was an option to display all transactions, even automatic change transfers.

Quote from: Rich Kulawiec
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
Grin

To get full developer attention you need to open a ticket for such things on Github Smiley.

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
GroundRod

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 03:47:05 AM

Had the power go out this afternoon, been running the client for the last week 24/7, no problems there.   Now I was lucky today, because had just shut the client down a few hours before the power flicked out, so not asking because of an emergency, just want to be prepared...

What should one do if the client is running (WinXP) when the power fails? 

Not asking about basic computer problems/solutions here, such as lost/bad clusters that might result, strictly asking about recommendations pertaining to the client software and the integrity of it's file system.  Assume no transaction was in progress when the power failed, it was simply open and active at the time. 

1) Should some files in the app data folder be deleted before restarting?

2) Lets say upon restart, the balance remains correct and no errors show up while re-sync, are we good to go?  Should some form of validation be preformed?

3) Are there various errors that might appear, and/or recommendations on how they should be repaired, if encountered?

Thanks much, 6.2 has been working great for me...

GR
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: