Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:16:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Free BTC at MIT  (Read 5994 times)
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 04:11:51 AM

http://bitcoin.mit.edu/announcing-the-mit-bitcoin-project/

Wow $100 for free, like the students at MIT need more free money.  How about giving it to a homeless shelter instead?
Because charity is unethical - it only serves to legitimize the utterly repugnant system that is capitalism.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
factor280

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 04:27:03 AM

Very cool idea and hopefully something ingenious comes out of this!

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:22:30 PM

This is a great promotional as it will bring more young people to know and use Bitcoin.

I agree. Along those same lines I gave my young nephew a paper wallet loaded with a little bit of BTC for his birthday.
yes you can also use for greeting big days like Christmas. Halloween and so on. that's one way to introduce them to their bitcoin accustomed
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 05:03:08 PM

This is a great promotional as it will bring more young people to know and use Bitcoin.

I agree. Along those same lines I gave my young nephew a paper wallet loaded with a little bit of BTC for his birthday.
Doing this could end up teaching your nephew some bad lessions about security and keeping private keys safe.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BillyBobJoe

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:25:46 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2014, 06:38:15 PM by BillyBobJoe

Doing this could end up teaching your nephew some bad lessions about security and keeping private keys safe.

I wrote him a note explaining the basics and how he does not want to lose his "wallet". I closed the note by telling him to talk to me about what software to use and how to do it. Which he did, and he is good to go. He swept the wallet into our wallet of choice successfully. But you are correct, next I do need to make sure he has it backed up. He does live a distance from me, I can not hold his hand the whole time, and he does have parents who do understand the need to backup computer data.

Edit: And the value, while may be substantial to him at his age, is not a great deal if it is lost.

Regards,
meowdea

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:30:16 PM

And I couldn't have more respect for MIT, since bitcoin is often associated with drugs, and I could see negative media articles published about how MIT is "enabling" students to purchase illegal things...But they are smartly looking beyond that possibility.

You know I hear cash has been used a couple times to buy drugs.
STAyre

Activity: 62

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:52:09 PM

And I couldn't have more respect for MIT, since bitcoin is often associated with drugs, and I could see negative media articles published about how MIT is "enabling" students to purchase illegal things...But they are smartly looking beyond that possibility.

Are we really going to correct the guy who said that he is glad that for once people can see past the prejudice, by explaining to him how the prejudice, which he is glad people are seeing past, is wrong?
STAyre

Activity: 62

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:58:26 PM

Don't you think he knows that prejudice is wrong? Don't you think that's what he was referring to? Don't you think we are all smart enough to understand what he's saying?
montreal

Activity: 328
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 10:18:07 PM

Wow $100 for free, like the students at MIT need more free money.  How about giving it to a homeless shelter instead?

I think you misunderstood the situation. Giving the students $100 in btc was not a charitable donation. Most of these students don't need handouts.Instead they are trying to draw more bright young minds into BTC. A lot of valuable contributions, startups, and innovation could come from a select group like this.

DAEX ◄► RELIABLE CLEARING ECOSYSTEM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ANNWHITEPAPERBOUNTY 
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:40:27 AM

I think you misunderstood the situation. Giving the students $100 in btc was not a charitable donation. Most of these students don't need handouts.Instead they are trying to draw more bright young minds into BTC. A lot of valuable contributions, startups, and innovation could come from a select group like this.
A $100 "donation" to MIT students will likely go a lot further then giving $100 to a homeless person/shelter. The MIT student will likely eventually contribute to society in some way (hopefully this project will make some of them make their contribution somewhat bitcoin related). On the other hand the homeless simply drain from society
Harley997

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:43:23 AM

I wrote him a note explaining the basics and how he does not want to lose his "wallet". I closed the note by telling him to talk to me about what software to use and how to do it. Which he did, and he is good to go. He swept the wallet into our wallet of choice successfully. But you are correct, next I do need to make sure he has it backed up. He does live a distance from me, I can not hold his hand the whole time, and he does have parents who do understand the need to backup computer data.

Edit: And the value, while may be substantial to him at his age, is not a great deal if it is lost.

Regards,
I would be interested to know if the bitcoin is sold/traded for something or if it is just held

PRIMEDICE
BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:56:46 AM

I would be interested to know if the bitcoin is sold/traded for something or if it is just held

I wrote a brief paragraph pointing out the history of BTC values and what they may or may not do in the future.
hodap

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:57:55 AM

100 dollars is chunk change compare to the amount of tuition the students pay.
Harley997

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:43:05 AM

I wrote a brief paragraph pointing out the history of BTC values and what they may or may not do in the future.
It sounds like you got him a lot more then $250 worth of bitcoin. From what it sounds like you gave him a vast amount of knowledge regarding bitcoin.

If enough young people get interested in using bitcoin then many more merchants will likely start to accept bitcoin as many companies look to trends of the youth as they have a lot of discretionary income (be it either from their own earnings or from their parents). 

PRIMEDICE
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 03:48:05 AM

Where did they get 1/2 a million dollars?

Leina

Activity: 152

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 03:53:26 AM

It sounds like you got him a lot more then $250 worth of bitcoin. From what it sounds like you gave him a vast amount of knowledge regarding bitcoin.

If enough young people get interested in using bitcoin then many more merchants will likely start to accept bitcoin as many companies look to trends of the youth as they have a lot of discretionary income (be it either from their own earnings or from their parents). 

Young usually also mean gullible. And yes, if you enough gullible people join the currency revolution, it will happen.
JypsiCreme

Activity: 149

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:50:25 AM

also by MIT students
illymoka

Activity: 133

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:13:00 AM

also by MIT students

I misread that at first thinking you said people were buying MIT Students.
I've not slept for some time.
CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:50:25 PM

He said "a homeless shelter"

You completely changed the topic.

No, that doesn't change my message at all. Giving bitcoin to homeless shelters is not going to spur innovation either. MIT students are far more likely to start some sort of program for the homeless using bitcoin than some overworked shelter which barely has enough manpower to hand out soup and blankets.

You are living in a fantasy world. Give it to the students who will create the innovations in the network that will allow it to serve the homeless population well. Homeless shelters are not really known for technological innovation, in case your dumb ass didn't notice.

You think anymore than maybe 1% or 2%, if even that, on these boards are using it for innovation? No they are no even spening it. They are holding and bullshitting about how rich and eliet they will be someday.

You dumb ass.

When did I say we should give $100 worth of bitcoin to people on this board? You seem confused, in general.
BillyBobJoe

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:46:51 PM

When did I say we should give $100 worth of bitcoin to people on this board? You seem confused, in general.

I didn't say you did, DUMB ASS.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: