Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:09:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Low Premiums on LocalBitcoins for UK GBP customers  (Read 2304 times)
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:38:55 PM

Premiums for UK customers on LocalBitcoins at the moment are around 3%, with some vendors offering as low as 2%. Now considering that most UK punters would incur a premium of at least 4% just to get GBP transferred to Euros, onto Bitstamp, and then into Bitcoin; these vendors are selling their coins at damn low rates.

In the past I have often found that the LocalBitcoin GBP premiums have proven to be a good barometer of what is around the corner for Bitcoin. During the November run-up, I spent long periods on the sidelines waiting almost two weeks to get set up on Bitstamp, refusing to pay the sometimes 25% premiums that were standard on LocalBitcoins at the time, and ultimately was financially worse of for not doing so. Obviously, the demand the vendors were experiencing combined with collective market expectations were setting the extortionately high prices on LocalBitcoins during the run-up.

Likewise, when vendors have a glut of coins that they want/need to get shifted, the premiums hit the floor whilst the Bitcoin spot price often follows suite a couple of days later.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:15:05 PM

LocalBitcoin GBP premiums have proven to be a good barometer of what is around the corner for Bitcoin.

That is really a very poor indicator and from your perspective it amounts to a gut instinct and that's piss poor mate.
There is too much information missing. For a start, do you know the volume on local bitcoin? Do you know how many sellers there are and how much stock they hold and are able to process?

During the bubble in which you were attempting to buy Bitcoins, vendors were pricing in potentials gains in the Bitcoin price to protect themselves from the upward swings, this is expected given Bitcoins volatility. If you sell 1 BTC for $500 and in 12hrs it's worth $600, well you've just missed out big time and given that there is delays in buying and exchanging Bitcoin it's fucking obvious that sellers will put a premium on.

Also we had a supply squeeze, people like you were desperately waiting days/weeks to get approved at an exchange which drove up the OTC prices which contributed to the premium.

So what's happening now? First we have had a very stable period and secondly demand has dropped massively. Both these things mean vendors are comfortable reducing their premium and also with demand dropping they are being forced to remain competitive.

MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:43:51 PM

That is really a very poor indicator and from your perspective it amounts to a gut instinct and that's piss poor mate.
There is too much information missing. For a start, do you know the volume on local bitcoin? Do you know how many sellers there are and how much stock they hold and are able to process?

During the bubble in which you were attempting to buy Bitcoins, vendors were pricing in potentials gains in the Bitcoin price to protect themselves from the upward swings, this is expected given Bitcoins volatility. If you sell 1 BTC for $500 and in 12hrs it's worth $600, well you've just missed out big time and given that there is delays in buying and exchanging Bitcoin it's fucking obvious that sellers will put a premium on.

Also we had a supply squeeze, people like you were desperately waiting days/weeks to get approved at an exchange which drove up the OTC prices which contributed to the premium.

So what's happening now? First we have had a very stable period and secondly demand has dropped massively. Both these things mean vendors are comfortable reducing their premium and also with demand dropping they are being forced to remain competitive.

I have traded on LocalBitcoins myself, indeed getting myself a slice of the 25%-30% action. I however charged a 'mere' 20% premium undercutting my nearest competitors massively. In this environment, I would do about 10K GBP worth of trade in about 20 minutes. Fkn hectic, but also highly lucrative. Then around the time of the double top, premiums reduced dramatically, but worthwhile doing nontheless. However, when I started undercutting the other vendors at what proved to be a tipping point in the market, I would find myself getting sabotaged by some glovepuppet account ordering 5K worth of btc, and then having 'bank problems' resulting in my coins being held up in Escrow for 48 hours or whatever, thus putting me out of action until the transaction was inevitably cancelled. This happened to me twice. Both times in a low premium environment, and both times preceding a brutal correction. Both times, I also felt compelled to liquidate Bitstamp btc positions in order to cover myself for worse case scenario as the price plummeted seemingly unabated. I haven't been arsed to trade there since.

I would suggest that there are LocalBitcoin whales who have been making a handsome living trading on that site for quite a long time, who are very astute at reading what is around the corner with regards to Bitcoin, as well as being not adverse to employing underhand tactics to deal with 'tiddlers' who are interfering with their business.

What the vendors are doing on LocalBitcoins is no concrete yardstick for what is actually going to happen, but I will also mention that during the recent run up from the $600 range, that premiums were 10%. Just another instance of the LocalBitcoin vendors calling the market correctly in advance.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
adz7

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:15:49 PM

Hi all,

If anyone is looking to buy a large amount of bitcoins using GBP Currency (anywhere from 10-100 Bitcoins) and is comfortable using Local Bit Coins as an escrow, please PM me.

Rgds,
Adz
RyanMilligan1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:49:43 PM

Hi all,

If anyone is looking to buy a large amount of bitcoins using GBP Currency (anywhere from 10-100 Bitcoins) and is comfortable using Local Bit Coins as an escrow, please PM me.

Rgds,
Adz

PM me a price
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: