Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:59:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Development] StorNode - Start of a StorJ Implementation and a Bitcoin Agent  (Read 8531 times)
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 11:57:31 PM

If you are unfamiliar with Bitcoin agents I would take a look at these resources:

Anyways here is my rough mock-up of the index page. Just trying to solicit some feedback as a work this little project.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 11:58:02 PM

Reserved.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:39:05 AM

If you are unfamiliar with Bitcoin agents I would take a look at these resources:

Anyways here is my rough mock-up of the index page. Just trying to solicit some feedback as a work this little project.

So how will this work?

If I'm a human being can I sell storage space to StorJ and get paid in proportionate amount when StorJ is ready to upgrade? If that is the case it could have as much space available as necessary to meet the demand simply by paying users to supply to meet the demand. And if anyone needs to store anything they could pay the price as well.

Seems to be very efficient and could easily put Dropbox and Mega out of business.
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 04:07:39 AM

Well in this early stage you would probably just run one or more StorJ nodes, rather than sell space to StorJ. It would kinda work like Bitcoin mining. Bitcoin mining supports the network, and the miners get a percentage of the fees and new coins. For a StorJ node you would get paid the fees for hosting a file or file(s).

I doubt this would replace Dropbox or Megaupload anytime soon, but in its full implementation it would allow you to store your files for very very cheap. Although you are making me think maybe this should be a more of a desktop app. You can make Bitcoin by utilizing a GPU that otherwise might be idle, but instead utilizing your hard drive space that might be empty.

I mean look at the Dropbox model. They charge $99 a year for 100 GB of space. Lets just call it an even $1/GB. Which means if I charged Dropbox prices for a $100 Seagate Barracuda 2TB off Newegg that's fully loaded, I could get <$2,000 a year. That's a better reward that Bitcoin mining. Of course I'm omitting stuff like redundancy, but still there is a huge profit margin in there.

tldr; Back of the napkin calculations make this highly optimistic.

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:05:36 AM

Well in this early stage you would probably just run one or more StorJ nodes, rather than sell space to StorJ. It would kinda work like Bitcoin mining. Bitcoin mining supports the network, and the miners get a percentage of the fees and new coins. For a StorJ node you would get paid the fees for hosting a file or file(s).

I doubt this would replace Dropbox or Megaupload anytime soon, but in its full implementation it would allow you to store your files for very very cheap. Although you are making me think maybe this should be a more of a desktop app. You can make Bitcoin by utilizing a GPU that otherwise might be idle, but instead utilizing your hard drive space that might be empty.

I mean look at the Dropbox model. They charge $99 a year for 100 GB of space. Lets just call it an even $1/GB. Which means if I charged Dropbox prices for a $100 Seagate Barracuda 2TB off Newegg that's fully loaded, I could get <$2,000 a year. That's a better reward that Bitcoin mining. Of course I'm omitting stuff like redundancy, but still there is a huge profit margin in there.

Proof of Storage right? I think this idea can work.
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 06:47:49 PM

Proof of Storage right? I think this idea can work.
Basically Proof of Storage. Working on the concept and protocol, but basically the way you would verify this is with a challenge–response authentication.

super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 09:35:46 PM

Since this is ranked pretty high on the Google results for Storj. I would add that this project is currently in active development. See more information at Storj.io

U

Activity: 503
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:11:08 AM

Want to know,when I have selled space for Storj,but now I want to return my space,what will happen?

Bitcoin Ethereum TERA
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 03:53:25 AM

Want to know,when I have selled space for Storj,but now I want to return my space,what will happen?
Just turn it off or just the settings. Software will take care of the rest.

U

Activity: 503
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:45:52 AM

Just turn it off or just the settings. Software will take care of the rest.
So what about the content stored on my space? cant visited?

Bitcoin Ethereum TERA
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:19:22 AM

The index looks great, maybe you can look towards adding more features in the future?
+

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 03:39:40 AM

adding some button will be much better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: