Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:30:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For cloud mining, VPS or Dedicated Server, differences?  (Read 2414 times)
JohnnyPierce (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:35:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, for cloud mining purposes, what are the differences between VPS's and Dedicated Servers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kickbit

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

In Blockchain We Trust!

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 09:56:53 AM

Just out of curiosity, for cloud mining purposes, what are the differences between VPS's and Dedicated Servers?

VPS's and Dedicated Servers for cloud mining? What are you talking about?
Do you know what is VPS, Dedicated Server and Cloud Mining? Smiley

BitMedia.IO - Advertise Your Bitcoin Project!

Realtime Bitcoin Price! Search - "Bitcoin price for Chrome" in Chrome App Store!
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 01:21:46 PM

Trying to keep it as simple as possible...

VPS is what pretty much every service out there offers you.  You get a virtualized machine with superuser access allowing you to install whatever you want on it.  Sign up at Digital Ocean, AWS, etc, you get a VPS.

A dedicated server is bare metal.  You get the entire processing power of that box to yourself.  Unless you own your own data center, or rent space in one, chances are exceptionally slim you'll get an entire server to yourself, or if you do you're going to pay a fortune for the privilege.

Cloud mining means that somebody is hosting miners in a facility and is selling you hashing power on those machines.  If I were to relate this to VPS and dedicated servers, I would do so as follows:

VPS - services like cex.io, pbmining, etc offer you the ability to buy hashing contracts
Dedicated - You buy your own mining hardware and someone hosts it in their data center for you.  Effectively, you'd pay rent (hosting fees) for your machine using up their space/electricity.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 06:02:59 AM

Cloud mining - Selling hashing power to mine coins, like cex.io, scrypt.cc, cloudhashing.com

Dedicated server - a full server to host your website or anything that server can do. Service like hetzner.de

VPS or Virtual Private Server is the chunk of a server, so it's cheaper than dedicated server  - like chunkhost.com, DigitalOcean.com
PeterReid

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:05:12 PM

Get yourself on ebay and buy some asics of your own and learn some new things.
popok

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:32:53 PM

VPS is only able to allocate less resources, efficiency is very low.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: