Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:07:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens to bitcoins that are abandoned on exchanges and pools  (Read 810 times)
bitcoin_n00b (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 02:38:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about what happens to coins that are abandoned on exchanges and pools. For example, if I left a fraction of a namecoin behind on btc-e because they never reached the withdraw limit, can anyone tell me what might eventually happen it? Or if I joined a pool to mine bitcoin and moved on without taking the btc with me? Are those coins out of circulation or will the exchange or pool eventually capture them?

Thanks!

n00b
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 02:48:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about what happens to coins that are abandoned on exchanges and pools. For example, if I left a fraction of a namecoin behind on btc-e because they never reached the withdraw limit, can anyone tell me what might eventually happen it? Or if I joined a pool to mine bitcoin and moved on without taking the btc with me? Are those coins out of circulation or will the exchange or pool eventually capture them?

Thanks!

n00b

Coins on an exchange or pool don't belong to you - they belong to the website.

If you don't request they send you coins you have earned - they will simply keep them.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 04:03:21 AM

If you don't request they send you coins you have earned - they will simply keep them.

In that case, I have a question. Are they allowed to sell these coins? Or are they legally obliged to keep them secure, in case at some point in the future the original owner asks them to return those coins?
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 04:21:03 AM

In that case, I have a question. Are they allowed to sell these coins? Or are they legally obliged to keep them secure, in case at some point in the future the original owner asks them to return those coins?
They do what they want with the coins, from what I know.

No laws related to bitcoin? Taxes or otherwise? Free reign over what you do with all the coins you get.
activebiz

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:53:27 AM

They should remain in ur account as long as the exchange is in business

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 08:09:25 AM

No laws related to bitcoin? Taxes or otherwise? Free reign over what you do with all the coins you get.

Just because bitcoin is new does not imply that there are no rules. In germany bitcoin is considered a unit of account and thus there are laws. I imagine other countries have similar laws. Its not like bitcoin is the first kind of currency besides the official currency of a country. There are several other examples.

On the other hand the exchange can just declare bankrupcy like Gox.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:53:04 AM

The xchanges and pools pocket these coins
In the end there is always beneficial ownership with somebody

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:25:59 AM

They are out of circulation for now. Some exchanges have a dead account policy, if you don't use it in xx months they charge a fee... which would probably eat a small balance first shot, and then the account would be closed. Some others, it could possibly just sit there for a couple of years until the place is dead or you log back in and claim it somehow. I think it will probably still be there in a year on BTC-e.

One way to claim some of the value may be to buy TRC or FTC and send that out. The withdrawal limits are somewhat based on that particular blockchains tx fees. (Sometimes what they were months ago, because they didn't change it)

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:50:21 AM

They are lost forever, presumably

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:51:34 AM

They are out of circulation for now. Some exchanges have a dead account policy, if you don't use it in xx months they charge a fee... which would probably eat a small balance first shot, and then the account would be closed. Some others, it could possibly just sit there for a couple of years until the place is dead or you log back in and claim it somehow. I think it will probably still be there in a year on BTC-e.

With bigger exchanges such as Bitstamp and BTC-E they might be OK. But smaller exchanges usually closes down within 6 to 12 months. The coins in them will be gone for ever.
PerrythePlatypus

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:30:55 PM

They are lost forever, presumably
Not lost but rather given to the pool/ exchange owner.
marife01

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 03:41:30 PM

I think those BTC left on abandoned accounts will remain there as long as it was not hacked. Also as long as BTC  is still online.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: