Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:12:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the biggestest threats to Bitcoin?  (Read 6895 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:00:36 PM

The biggest threat to Bitcoin so far has come from the people using and promoting it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:11:58 PM

Bitcoin mining pools' concentration is #1 threat imho. Now it takes just to control the 2 biggest pools for a 51% attack.
https://blockchain.info/pools

even the decreasing trend in full nodes seems like bad news:
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/dashboard/chart/?days=60
CADguy

Activity: 330
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 08:05:30 PM

The biggest threat to Bitcoin so far has come from the people using and promoting it.

agreed +1
coindozer7

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 08:26:57 PM

There will be always bugs and threats so it's hard to state what's the biggest threat to Bitcoin.
It's our duty to make a secured haven for the Bitcoin
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 09:23:52 PM

Quantum computers? Bugs in the code? Centralized mining?

Is there anything that can't potentially be overcome that is a threat to Bitcoin? Anything I didn't mention?

Thanks in advanced.

The greatest threats to Bitcoin are the many idiots involved.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 09:33:12 PM

Quantum computers? Bugs in the code? Centralized mining?

Is there anything that can't potentially be overcome that is a threat to Bitcoin? Anything I didn't mention?

Thanks in advanced.

The greatest threats to Bitcoin are the many idiots involved.

Agreed.  We look kind of foolish if one takes the time to really research the people involved.  I do like the progression of US exchanges evolving (not all).  I think Coinbase is doing a really great job keeping it simple and user friendly.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 10:21:33 PM

Assholes who so willingly spread unconfrimed rumors as FUD like this jerk.

Folks who don't respect anyone's privacy, or who think deviant sexual behavior is at all relevant to the health of Bitcoin.

Innocent until proven guilty. Until there's a conviction, you are slandering people.

Sex negativity hurts everyone.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 10:24:50 PM

There is a magazine called Goat Quarterly? 
ThePurplePlanet

Activity: 144

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 11:39:20 PM

The amount of dumb money involved buying any coin hyped (including ripple like coins, proof of stake coins that anyone with little common sense can grasp why they cannot be a decentralized consensus mechanism)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 01:27:08 AM

There is a magazine called Goat Quarterly? 

I see what you did there!
Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:30:24 AM

Federal reserve and another central bank
i think they hate BTC
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:50:05 AM

My feeling is that the above statement is correct. If people had used Bitcoin quietly, it might have slowly become big without all the problems that it has had. And there wouldn't be so many banks and governments out to shut it down. It's all in the greed of the people who have tried to milk Bitcoin for all it's is worth that is the biggest danger to it.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:57:02 AM

I"d have to say the the biggest threat to BTC at this time is bad press.  For example the bad press of Gox being hacked people losing their money and China banning Bitcoin all caused some damage.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 05:10:54 AM

Assholes who so willingly spread unconfrimed rumors as FUD like this jerk.

Folks who don't respect anyone's privacy, or who think deviant sexual behavior is at all relevant to the health of Bitcoin.

Innocent until proven guilty. Until there's a conviction, you are slandering people.

Sex negativity hurts everyone.

If my info wasn't so relevant, then sure as hell the mainstream press wouldn't have expanded on it.

I haven't even begone to show, thus prove, the hundreds of millions of dollars being pumped into Bitcoin by shady characters like Brock Pierce going down a black hole with NO CHANCE of an ROI.

BTW, I am not making plans to commit suicide, especially via jumping off the 25th floor of a high-rise building in Singapore and crashing on the concrete landing slab above a garbage bin two blocks from GoCoin's office at 7 AM on a Wednesday because I'm depress over the post I just quoted.

But, if I change my mind, a handful of sick flowers, shown below, would suffice, placed where my body landed, for paying homage to me.

firstlast

Activity: 159

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:36:34 AM

The 1 MB block limit threatens Bitcoin's ability to function as the global reserve currency. It should eventually be changed to 10 GB per block to handle tens of billions of transactions per week.

Future scenario:

Paychecks are sent to billions of people in the form of bitcoins twice a month. People fund online accounts with bitcoin transfers once a week to do a majority of their transactions off the blockchain. No one runs a full node anymore, it's just too expensive. Instead everyone uses a SPV client and countries keep copies of the full blockchain to keep each other honest. Each country's government mines bitcoins and uses the transaction fees to fund government projects.

Fees per KB are around 20 satoshi or 2 USD, so peer to peer transfers are affordable, but rarely initiated because the opportunity cost of spending old bitcoins is just too damn high. The floating transaction fee formula everyone has agreed on effectively limits the average number of transactions to 6 per person per month. Because of this, everyone divides their bitcoin balance into thousands of addresses to accrue confirmations in case their bitcoins need to be quickly spent. Around 50M transactions are included in each block, giving a block reward of 100M USD from fees alone.  Governments are smaller and more cost-effective with their spending so the 100M is just enough.

The price of a bitcoin is 10M USD and fiat is nonexistent.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 07:02:05 AM

The biggest threat to Bitcoin?

The high percentage of scumbags involved. More than half the exchanges have gone bust, most through "take the money and run" operators. The "Bitcoin stock exchanges" had few, if any, real companies that did anything behind them. The "Bitcoin Ponzis" were even worse. Most of the ASIC system vendors can't reliably deliver ordered products. Some of the Bitcoin Foundation leaders turned out to be crooks.

This is pathetic. It doesn't seem to be getting better, either. Look at the crowd behind Sunlot.
isidore

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:45:54 AM

The biggest threat to Bitcoin is people not using it. Many have it as a store of value, but few trade in it. Merchant adoption has been hopeful but aside from the initial buying boost, purchases in bitcoin go down after. I always make it a point to pay in Bitcoin at as many places I can, e.g. Namecheap, Tigerdirect, local restaurants.
muxxxamed

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 08:38:24 AM

In Russia the biggest threat is government. And in China too...
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:07:35 AM

Bitcoin mining pools' concentration is #1 threat imho. Now it takes just to control the 2 biggest pools for a 51% attack.
https://blockchain.info/pools

even the decreasing trend in full nodes seems like bad news:
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/dashboard/chart/?days=60

Hmm that is interesting as I've been thinking bitcoin was just to big for an attack like this to take place.  I also read a posts on this forum I believe or maybe a video that that said something similar effect.  I guess that is simply not the full story however.  Thanks adding this in to the mix.
pickering7

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:22:01 AM

hackers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: