Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:08:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IRS's new guidelines for taxing crypto-currencies  (Read 1894 times)
Geremia (OP)

Activity: 502
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 09:00:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ktAjHo_CPc

BTC tip jar | my BTC wiki, BTC StackExchange | Tox ID: 65C3E8810738AD9D175234808FCB317A1103632903436203D45411AE97C03F54C34861AB6663
Join Kraken. | The best, free book on Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin
Nos cum prole pia benedicat Virgo Maria.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
q119108

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:03:08 PM

Jeff Deist explains some of the compliance burdens of the IRS's latest guidelines for cryptocurrency and other electronic media of exchange.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 07:31:09 PM

And how exactly will the IRS enforce capital gains tax? Good luck with that. They won't be able to do it, not easily at least. Sure, they can track when you exchanged the bitcoins, but it will be impossible to determine the exact value it was traded it. Different exchanges have different rates, and they also cannot prove what the rate was for private trades. You can claim you had your own custom exchange, or traded with someone for $1 cash per bitcoin.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 07:37:04 PM

This is great news. If the IRS can figure out a way to tax the shit out of Bitcoin it will be around forever. Hell, they'll probably promote it on the IRS website. Cigarettes are a massive killer of citizens every year but do they legislate it away, hell no. You can't get rid of that much tax revenue; the government would shut down.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 07:40:29 PM

This is great news. If the IRS can figure out a way to tax the shit out of Bitcoin it will be around forever. Hell, they'll probably promote it on the IRS website. Cigarettes are a massive killer of citizens every year but do they legislate it away, hell no. You can't get rid of that much tax revenue; the rich assholes with all the power would shut down the government out of spite.

FTFY. Remember kids, it's a big club. And you and I, are not in the club.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 09:17:45 PM

Ever heard of Civil Obedience? The idea is that one complies with a questionable law to the letter, in order to force a change in the law. In this case the market can develop the appropriate software to generate the appropriate IRS forms and then let IRS deal with the paperwork burden of tracking millions of small capital gains and losses.

As far as I can see this is a perfect case for Civil Obedience. 

PS: One should also include Bitcoin network transaction fees in order to accurately determine the tax cost basis to the last satoshi.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 09:44:33 PM

Ever heard of Civil Obedience?...

Actually no, I've always paid more attention to the other side.  Cheesy
Civil Obedience?
At least I learned something new today.

With the help of computers, will BTC Civil Obedience actually burden the IRS enough to make a difference?

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 10:42:32 PM

Ever heard of Civil Obedience? The idea is that one complies with a questionable law to the letter, in order to force a change in the law. In this case the market can develop the appropriate software to generate the appropriate IRS forms and then let IRS deal with the paperwork burden of tracking millions of small capital gains and losses.

As far as I can see this is a perfect case for Civil Obedience. 

PS: One should also include Bitcoin network transaction fees in order to accurately determine the tax cost basis to the last satoshi.

They will just use your tax dollars to hire more employees to do the job. They have a lot more to do lately anyway because they are now monitoring the Obamacare registrations. Next years tax review will include a check to see if you have the mandatory insurance and a fine if you don't.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:10:17 AM

Actually no, I've always paid more attention to the other side.  Cheesy
Civil Obedience?

With the help of computers, will BTC Civil Obedience actually burden the IRS enough to make a difference?

This will depend on how popular BTC becomes. If a significant number of Americans each submit a few hundred or even thousand capital gains transactions each for relatively small amounts it will have an impact. Contrary to popular assumptions tax agencies do not have unlimited funds and their mandate is to raise money for the state not spend it. If the paperwork burden gets bad enough where there is no significant return in taxes collected, they will change the rules to something more sensible where there is a threshold below which transactions are not reportable as is the case with foreign currency.

By the way I live in Canada and the CRA is doing a similar thing. They will learn just give them some time. It is interesting to see some tax agencies in Europe backtrack on VAT and BTC. The UK comes to mind here. In the meantime I am for tracking every satoshi and do not forget to claim those BTC network fees.  Wink

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 12:33:47 AM

...In the meantime I am for tracking every satoshi and do not forget to claim those BTC network fees.  Wink

I need to learn to enjoy the "game" of tracking/claiming every possible deduction and legally paying much less taxes; I know at least a couple people who are able to have high income and shockingly low income taxes.
For me it's also seemed such a hassle to save receipts and account for everything (both big and small)

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 06:49:40 AM

...In the meantime I am for tracking every satoshi and do not forget to claim those BTC network fees.  Wink

I need to learn to enjoy the "game" of tracking/claiming every possible deduction and legally paying much less taxes; I know at least a couple people who are able to have high income and shockingly low income taxes.
For me it's also seemed such a hassle to save receipts and account for everything (both big and small)

Flat tax is the way to go. No tracking needed because everyone pays a set percentage.

skooter

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 08:18:37 AM

Actually no, I've always paid more attention to the other side.  Cheesy
Civil Obedience?

This will depend on how popular BTC becomes. If a significant number of Americans each submit a few hundred or even thousand capital gains transactions each for relatively small amounts it will have an impact. Contrary to popular assumptions tax agencies do not have unlimited funds and their mandate is to raise money for the state not spend it. If the paperwork burden gets bad enough where there is no significant return in taxes collected, they will change the rules to something more sensible where there is a threshold below which transactions are not reportable as is the case with foreign currency.

By the way I live in Canada and the CRA is doing a similar thing. They will learn just give them some time. It is interesting to see some tax agencies in Europe backtrack on VAT and BTC. The UK comes to mind here. In the meantime I am for tracking every satoshi and do not forget to claim those BTC network fees.  Wink

It's no different then Schedule D for stock buys/sales.

There's people who submit Schedule D forms THOUSANDS of pages long. Nobody actually looks at the individual lines unless they suspect something's wrong with it.

I've personally submitted a schedule D form 10+ pages long. It was auto generated by my broker. The IRS doesn't look at each line, they only look at the total (which I'm responsible for calculating).
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 03:33:36 PM

Civil Obedience?

By the way I live in Canada and the CRA is doing a similar thing. They will learn just give them some time. It is interesting to see some tax agencies in Europe backtrack on VAT and BTC. The UK comes to mind here. In the meantime I am for tracking every satoshi and do not forget to claim those BTC network fees.  Wink

There's people who submit Schedule D forms THOUSANDS of pages long. Nobody actually looks at the individual lines unless they suspect something's wrong with it.

I've personally submitted a schedule D form 10+ pages long. It was auto generated by my broker. The IRS doesn't look at each line, they only look at the total (which I'm responsible for calculating).

That's right. I guess no one here actually realizes that auditing is a very small percentage of what the IRS does. I think it's like 5-7% of the returns are audited. If you fill out these ridiculously long forms hoping that a human is going to read it then you're killing a tree for no reason.

They added a bunch more employees to transition the Obamacare program and when that's running smooth they can start digging into auditing Bitcoin returns with those extra employees. If they don't find anything irregular within the first few years then no one will ever read those Bitcoin returns again. They will just accept the bottom line you entered and file it away. You will be the only one inconvenienced by the extra work.

skooter

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 06:05:16 PM

Civil Obedience?

That's right. I guess no one here actually realizes that auditing is a very small percentage of what the IRS does. I think it's like 5-7% of the returns are audited. If you fill out these ridiculously long forms hoping that a human is going to read it then you're killing a tree for no reason.

They added a bunch more employees to transition the Obamacare program and when that's running smooth they can start digging into auditing Bitcoin returns with those extra employees. If they don't find anything irregular within the first few years then no one will ever read those Bitcoin returns again. They will just accept the bottom line you entered and file it away. You will be the only one inconvenienced by the extra work.

Yeah, it's more like

"Yep, the required paperwork is here" *checks it off the list*

If you DON'T file the required paperwork, there's a high chance you get flagged for audit as a result, THEN they'll start looking at individual line items.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:57:12 AM

And how exactly will the IRS enforce capital gains tax? Good luck with that. They won't be able to do it, not easily at least. Sure, they can track when you exchanged the bitcoins, but it will be impossible to determine the exact value it was traded it. Different exchanges have different rates, and they also cannot prove what the rate was for private trades. You can claim you had your own custom exchange, or traded with someone for $1 cash per bitcoin.

The way they'll most likely enforce it, is if they feel you are not being fully forthcoming with your capital gains, or if you have large deposits into your bank account that are not declared, they will audit you. Then you will have to be able to produce receipts for everything, pay back taxes, penalties, and then late fees on the whole liability.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:35:30 PM

Has anyone come out with a wallet or piece of software yet that actually does the accounting for you?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:20:13 PM

Has anyone come out with a wallet or piece of software yet that actually does the accounting for you?

That's a really good idea. Someone should send an email to Intuit and see if they can develop a Quickbooks Bitcoin edition.

msc_de

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:26:29 PM

accounting maybe a problem  Grin
UNV - JAPAN

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:28:02 PM

That's a really good idea. Someone should send an email to Intuit and see if they can develop a Quickbooks Bitcoin edition.

No, please, not Intuit.
QB is junk.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:52:34 AM

No, please, not Intuit.
QB is junk.

Intuit also owns Turbo Tax, the most widely used tax software in the US.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: