Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:19:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Pre-ANN] 'Landmarks' IPO (Location Based Faucets) (LND)  (Read 2748 times)
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:09:02 AM

Nice to see you are going ahead with this. The issue with how faucet owners will fund their faucets is one problem, as has been mentioned. You could have a premine set aside for this, to start with ... but that leads to other problems regarding trust.

One way to possibly fund this a little bit, outside of an ipo, is charge people for it as an app. Or go with the ad based app for free, small fee for the ad-free version. So you'd get funding, but there wlll be no guarantee of funds nor how much you will bring in. Each purchased app comes with a set amount of coin to play with, ability to set up a faucet (within reasonable areas), and any extras you want to throw in. But to do that you'd need to do a big premine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Land Marks (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:37:48 AM

I have decided to not concern myself with 'fairness of the faucets' because the point of the coin is not fair distribution but rather an incentive for people to get out.

Some people will just happen to be near landmarks.  Some will not. 

Ideally we will put a very serious effort into development so that all regions of the globe are covered.

One part of the project will be going through and identifying all notable landmarks across the globe, and then making an icon and then landmark faucet for each.

It will be a way of appreciating the earth, moving attention outwards rather than in. We need this balance, which is why I want to advocate faucets that get people out into the world so they can appreciate it.
Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:26:01 AM

To fund development there will be an IPO.

Each IPO investor will get a custom made landmark that they will be able to place where they choose that will show up on the map.

Further landmarks will can be purchased through an easy web form, which will be added to the map.
Scorial

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:28:34 AM

looking forward to launch
Thunderson

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:32:30 AM

brilliant idea.
ill keep an eye on this.

Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:40:23 AM

Edited the OP, made it look a little nicer.  I am a chaotic, but good person, so I generally let projects evolve a bit spontaneously.

I have a long task list, which is why I am projecting for the beginning of Summer.  I have some prototypes working which is why I am doing the Pre-Ann announcement.

It will take a little while to switch to POS since I am using the standard BitcoinJ code.  I want things to be well tested. After that it is just some gruntwork getting things in place
Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:46:49 AM

Business model:

All investors will be able to get a unique Landmark with their investment.

After this 'Landmark Faucets' can be purchased based on the current market value of the coin.

Merchants can set up a faucet easily using our web service to attract people to their area.

In this the coin will have utility.  Also we will be able to use this to continue funding 'Landmarks' as a real product.
Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 03:16:14 PM

It would be nice to find a list of landmarks with GPS coordinates so I can automate the faucet development, otherwise I will have to spend a bit of time doing research. Smiley
I do have a list of cities so I can build city based faucets automatically.

I will have to make it an open ended process where people can petition to have a landmark opened in case we miss any during development.
qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 03:32:11 PM

HAHA I am in Richmond at the moment but we thinking of moving. This is a really novel idea and a good way to attract lay peeps into Crypto. Smiley
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 03:34:48 PM

To fund development there will be an IPO.

Each IPO investor will get a custom made landmark that they will be able to place where they choose that will show up on the map.

Further landmarks will can be purchased through an easy web form, which will be added to the map.

If going with an IPO, maybe look at doing something like XBC did with poloniex. It removes the trust problem of people getting their coins, no need for escrow ... people can just buy the coin directly and immediately at IPO prices. I'm not sure if Poloniex plans to do more of those, but it may be worth considering.
Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 03:35:47 PM

HAHA I am in Richmond at the moment but we thinking of moving. This is a really novel idea and a good way to attract lay peeps into Crypto. Smiley

Don't worry qiwoman, that was just a mockup my graphics artist made.  Every city will have a faucet as well as landmarks around the world.  Smiley  We just happen to live in the Pacific NW so that is a good place to start.
micryon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 03:51:29 PM

Interesting project.

VTC: Vi5NxyF6FPCCEQDrsDcA34P8pXe1Yck21y
PDR: PP3EQsV3oX9bBkjpsnESguMHz3tfMqHXhy PlanetDollar
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 08:03:32 PM

Good luck!

As for the security aspect, I think a first iteration with low-value faucets [but with high brag value!] would be a great idea to iron out any security bugs. You can think of it as a real-world 'testnet' for field testing and the faucets' contents as bounties.

Once you're assured that the bugs are ironed out, you could run one helluva scavenger hunt with one - only one - high-value faucet! If you love dropping hinties and clues, that's be a great publicity generator. And once you've got the publicity...

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:24:08 PM

After talking with some members of the community I have decided to push back this project.  I want to finish therapy (DBT) first and work on my graduate thesis (joke detection).  I will convert this project to a smaller project and continue developing it - making location based faucets for a coin that has already been developed.  The 'Landmark' project is one I want developed into a real product so I want to be able to work on it when I am more effective and have time.

I want this project to continue as it is a good idea, so if anyone want to take over I will gladly hand over the thread and concept art to whoever thinks this is a good idea.

There is the chance to build a real business model out of this coin and it would be fun just as it is.  I can imagine people will drive around to different cities and visit landmarks in their area just to get free coins.

Smiley
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:26:54 PM

IPO for free coins?
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:25:47 PM

After talking with some members of the community I have decided to push back this project.  I want to finish therapy (DBT) first and work on my graduate thesis (joke detection).  I will convert this project to a smaller project and continue developing it - making location based faucets for a coin that has already been developed.  The 'Landmark' project is one I want developed into a real product so I want to be able to work on it when I am more effective and have time.

I want this project to continue as it is a good idea, so if anyone want to take over I will gladly hand over the thread and concept art to whoever thinks this is a good idea.

There is the chance to build a real business model out of this coin and it would be fun just as it is.  I can imagine people will drive around to different cities and visit landmarks in their area just to get free coins.

Smiley

That is disappointing. It’s such a great idea. However, I do understand that the successful execution of this project by itself is a huge challenge.

I am one of the cofounders of DNotes and Cryptomoms. We may be just the partners you need to help turn your brilliant idea into a real product. Check us out and feel free to contact us if there is an interest to explore various possibilities.

http://cryptomoms.com/forum/index.php

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=470155.1300

http://www.dnotescoin.com/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bringing-cryptocurrency-women-worldwide-cryptomoms-011500357.html
Land Marks (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:16:59 PM

Another development team is working on a similar concept so I have been helping them brainstorm.

They will be releasing a pre-ann when they are ready, and have been doing a bit of development already as they are also working on something to promote people to travel.

I will be helping them with brainstorming, and will also try to get my graphics designer in contact.

I have been contacted by someone who wants to do marketing, so I will get them in touch.

Dyna:  I have told them to contact you.

Thank you all, I am glad I was able to get my idea out so it has a chance of becoming a reality.
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 05:44:45 AM

Another development team is working on a similar concept so I have been helping them brainstorm.

They will be releasing a pre-ann when they are ready, and have been doing a bit of development already as they are also working on something to promote people to travel.

I will be helping them with brainstorming, and will also try to get my graphics designer in contact.

I have been contacted by someone who wants to do marketing, so I will get them in touch.

Dyna:  I have told them to contact you.

Thank you all, I am glad I was able to get my idea out so it has a chance of becoming a reality.

Thanks, Land Marks. All the best to you.
oneng

Activity: 43

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:14:41 AM

Very great idea, if it can be realized it would be great.
SuperKing

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:21:11 AM

Looks like need more work.
Good luck.

Get Daily Free SignatureCoins. T4RUpqFJdQ627N4HJSXxUqDn4qCveZ4Qs5
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: