Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:17:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 Millibitcoin = 1 Millibit, 1 Bitcoin = 1 Bit, How could that be wrong?  (Read 2223 times)
klabaki (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:50:42 AM

you also realise that a game called dragon's tales has been using the term bitmills for 4 years to reference 0.0001btc.. yet its not common across the world.
so purely because bitcoinity RECENTLY moved to a temporary name. does not mean its internationally recognised and commonly used.

It's not common across the world, but it's common across bitcoinland, and that's the audience that would be most affected by a switch.

EDIT: And about "recently" moving to millibits: It's true that the default unit was switched only recently; however, millibits were offered as an option since a long time ago.

hell ill start up a website and call a bitcoin a "puzzlecoin" or a rabbitcoin.. and then people can shout to the world that its common purely because they seen it somewhere.

millibit is not common. and people IF YOU READ, will realise that making it common by consensus, changing all services to use mbtc measure, is pointless.. due to it being a temporary measure

Bitcoinity is more than purely a website, it's also a userbase.

Your "puzzlecoin" website would be purely a website, nothing else. There'd be no years-old userbase.

Ƶ = µBTC

Wer den Satoshi nicht ehrt, der ist den Ƶibcoin nicht wert.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:57:25 AM

your links to those sites are ones that only in the last few weeks been using mbtc... even with a reach of thousands of users.. still does not make it common. my rabbit coin example was to point out that just mentioning a word does not make it instantly recognised. it takes time.

and again mbtc is only temporary so why are you even fighting that mbtc should be made common, you have to realise that by the time all sites adopt it and had a few months to get used to it. that it will be replaced again.. making it a pointless chore

this is why there are many many many threads where the consensus is saying to got to sats and bits, due to the fact that in the few months/years for something becomes universally accepted and understood. it will still be around.... unlike mbtc

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
klabaki (OP)

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:19:08 AM

and again mbtc is only temporary so why are you even fighting that mbtc should be made common, you have to realise that by the time all sites adopt it and had a few months to get used to it. that it will be replaced again.. making it a pointless chore

this is why there are many many many threads where the consensus is saying to got to sats and bits, due to the fact that in the few months/years for something becomes universally accepted and understood. it will still be around.... unlike mbtc

This "millibit is only temporary" doesn't prove anything. Here's why:

Any written document will last for a while.
It takes time until documents are updated and some documents are never updated because they have historic value, or are in some kind of archive (i.e. like web.archive.org).

It's never possible to update all documents at once, there has to be a smooth transition.

So, from this point of view, "millibit" is already permanent in that it is mentioned in many documents that won't be updated.

Just to get the record staight:
I'd don't like millibits at all. It's an ugly word. I'd like to switch as well.

However, I've realised that it can't be ignored and there needs to be a transition without inconsistencies, i.e. without things like "kilobit = millibit".
We need to have a consistent transition plan without risk of ambiguities.

That's what I'm promoting:
1 zib = 100 satoshis

Ƶ = µBTC

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:33:17 AM

" there needs to be a transition without inconsistencies"

after 5 years people still ask "what is a bitcoin"

imagine the next 5 years

trying to transition to mbtc (knowing it will take 5 years to fully transition)

yet before the 5th year people will be transitioning to bits(100sats)

which is not going to help the consistency

so no one should be trying to promote mbtc or talk about the advantages of mbtc as its old before its new and useless before its useful. much easier and much more consistent long term to just transition straight to 100sat measurements

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
klabaki (OP)

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:46:04 AM

imagine the next 5 years

trying to transition to mbtc (knowing it will take 5 years to fully transition)

yet before the 5th year people will be transitioning to bits(100sats)

which is not going to help the consistency

so no one should be trying to promote mbtc or talk about the advantages of mbtc as its old before its new and useless before its useful. much easier and much more consistent long term to just transition straight to 100sat measurements

Well, hopefully the transition won't take 5 years because I don't like millibits, just like you (did I already mention this?).

And I agree, we definitely should transition to 100 satoshi measurements.

However, even if the transition takes only one year, there shouldn't be any ambiguous terms during the transition.
There's just to much money at risk to have any ambiguities about units.

And yes: The idea of millibit = 1k bit will definitely create ambiguities. And that's why I don't want to say "bits".

The word "zib" is unambiguous.

Ƶ = µBTC

BunsenBurner

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:06:39 AM

Your proposal wouldn't have anything to do with wanting to scam people into buying 'zibs' would it? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=522958.20

1BTC = 1 000 000 bits. Nice try but no one wants zibs

Scamming people into buying Zibs?
AFAIK, the so-called Zibs OP "created" is exactly bitcoin with just a different base unit and name. Or am I understanding it wrong?

klabaki (OP)

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:13:58 AM

Scamming people into buying Zibs?
AFAIK, the so-called Zibs OP "created" is exactly bitcoin with just a different base unit and name. Or am I understanding it wrong?

You are right:

1 zib = 100 satoshis
1 000 000 zibs = 1 bitcoin

It's really just a new unit for bitcoin, and not an altcoin!

Edit:

Also, the thread is placed in the "technical discussion / alternate clients" section, just to make clear that there's nothing to buy, it's just a new word.

I did never try to scam anyone!!! I just want to make Bitcoin more usable.

Bitcoin for everyone, that's the slogan.

Ƶ = µBTC

klabaki (OP)

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:24:01 PM

Going back to the topic, I see that these redditors also realised the problem:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/24m3nb/disliking_the_word_bits_does_not_mean_favouring/ch8gkyj

That is EXACTLY the problem. Example:

dollars -vs- cents

Notice how these don't share a similar root at all? There's a very good reason for that. For bits vs bitcoin, many people would confuse "bits" as an shortened or slang word for "bitcoin". They wouldn't realize that they're different things!

Just imagine the old non-technical people that call Firefox "Foxfire" or who can Internet Explorer "the Internet". People mess up names all the time for technical words, although they often get the basic root correct.

Bit vs Bitcoin -- BAD, they should not share the same root.

My point still holds that 1 bitcoin = 1 bit, everything else would be confusing.

And about µBTC, we will need to pick a new word for it. It has to sound sufficiently different, yet familiar.

Ƶ = µBTC

frente

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:29:47 AM

1 bitcoin = 1M bit[coin]s. Do we need both units as currency/symbol? If not, then there's no problem.
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:44:11 AM

and as for the millibit, mBTC, uBTC... arguments. will everyone please read the other threads.. the consensus so far is to not use mBTC, uBTC as they are only temporary and will need to be replaced with smaller denominations. thus moving straight to sats and bits is the higher voted choice by many.
Yet you propose keeping the denomination uBTC (renamed). Lol

The point that you miss is that "millibit" is already popular, because it reached dollar parity.
To clarify, millibitcoin (or mBTC) is a little popular, not millibit.

Bitcoinity.org even switched to millibits as the default unit.
Again misleading. I see no mention of 'millibit' there; only mBTC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: