Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:11:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah, it's about the Bitcoin symbol.  (Read 1258 times)
khalv (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 01:59:38 AM

read this http://bitcoinsymbol.tumblr.com/ if you like the interface better, expect updates if this can spark some renewed discussion. thanks.

So I've been searching the web, these forums, and many wiki entries all relating to bitcoin for some time now and have seen almost exclusively the symbolic representation of bitcoin being a B. In fact here it is: BTC It’s a natural conclusion really. But I think we should explore other options. I know it's been said before, I know the threads are long, but I'm hoping this can revjunate discussion instead of repeating it.  There’s a big divide between how people want the Bitcoin symbol to look, with the existing Bhat being the cause of much discussion, and the other symbols not quite working on whatever level. So I want to kill the B all together.

Look at this: $. That’s the symbol for the dollar. Logically, I want to know where that S comes from because I don’t find it in the word ‘dollar’. It’s believed to have originated from the Spanish Peso. Take the initial letters of both of those words and you have S and P. Naturally, as language does, the S and P evolved and were placed together, on top of each other, so that there was a stroke down the middle of the S. Given enough time, it simplified itself further by total removal of the bowl of the P, leaving one standing stroke through the S.

Whether this is how it went down or not, it provides us with a good conceit for designing the Bitcoin symbol, so let’s take the same approach used above: region + unit/name of currency. We clearly have the unit: It’s a bitcoin. That’s not changing. We also have the currency code: BTC. Some argue that the code is enough, despite that it’s not official and America has the USD and it still uses the $ symbol. I like BTC, and I think it should stay, if anything, to maintain the association of that B everyone wants, so here’s the compromise: keep the code, keep the b. But let’s find a new SYMBOL and leave the B behind. It seems logical to use the B but we have it in the code and I think that’s enough to go on with the branding and identity that will inevitably use it as it currently is.

So this brings me to my second point: the region. If the region of the bitcoin is… everywhere, than we have a few decisions to make. This service is only possible with the internet, true, but it’s not strictly for digital purchasing, so it’s equally international as it is apart of the web. I’m not the first to use this term, and I don’t know if it’ll catch on, but let’s all say it outloud: interNETional. Language is meant to change and take on different shapes and this word encompasses what the bitcoin is very clearly. Of course, this isn’t as crucial, but it helps.

Now about that B. The respective choices to replace B might be presented as such: I (International, Internet), G (Global), or U (Universal, Ubiquitous). Lastly, which has been proposed a lot but has never found its symbol or unicode to quite catch on, there’s the 10/01(self-explanatory, I hope). Today, Bitcoin is missing the important aspect of any one of these terms in its symbolism. These choices are distinct because they’re 1) digital and 2) global. Many other distinctions lie within but these are the primary ones.

So! …Can we please examine these options? The I lends itself to binary immediately, and adding the 0 in the shape of a coin in some manner is a win-win from my perspective. The U is nice as well, providing something along the lines of : UBTC. Imagine the strokes where you may, as that can be determined and isn’t too hard to picture. The G is perhaps the least appealing of the options but it’s not hard to imagine it, either. Really, anything is better than the B at this point. I’ll sketch some of these out and I encourage everyone else too so we can properly visualize these choices.

Some currently known existing UNICODE options:
UNICODE 0140:  ŀ  / Latin lower letter L with middle dot
u037c: ͼ   /  Greek Lunata symbol

A SUGGESTIVE GUIDE:
( I realize the I with the horizontal strokes ended up resembling a cross here but in reality the strokes would have sufficient leading between them)

https://31.media.tumblr.com/7d314316f06c3238fc4546082a1ac63b/tumblr_inline_n4z4os2EX91sn3ecz.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:29:33 AM

cool thoughts!

somehow I think we're stuck with the "B" though, at least for now

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3042

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 03:37:59 AM

The US dollar symbol has two lines through it.

It comes from the U and the S laid over top each other.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:38:06 AM

that symbols is pretty bad, B is best
khalv (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:52:32 AM

It was to my knowledge that the creation of the $ hasn't been verified. One way or another, the concept used from my example was what was important, regardless of the origin of the $. REGION + UNIT makes for a pretty damn decent approach to finding a symbol, in my opinion, but thanks for offering yours. I guess I should include a TL;DR for some people.

I'm just trying to initiate a discussion. These are mock-ups, not finished designs. They're a jumping off point. I'm pretty well aware that people love the B and it's basically ubiquitous, but Bitcoin is still growing and all of these options are still on the table. That's what I'm saying. So if someone happens to find this some time from now, when this discussion is more lively or the position of the symbol for Bitcoin is needed to be made official and permanent, I imagine we're not going to just jump right for the B, despite its wide-use. I'm trying to suggest in favor or ideas that haven't been pitched or haven't been pitched correctly.

I think binary is a good route, in some way, shape or form. We must acknowledge the basis for the Bitcoin. And I think combining the internet and international aspects is a must.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:55:46 AM

What about the vertical line in the B, being the 1 and the two round parts being little zeros, so you have some binary bits there....

khalv (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:21:48 AM

What about the vertical line in the B, being the 1 and the two round parts being little zeros, so you have some binary bits there....

I guess there is that. I came to that conclusion, too, I guess I just thought we shouldn't limit ourselves to the letter B. Other currencies don't limit themselves in that way, why should we?
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:11:01 AM

I get your arguments for the other symbols you suggested, and like the them, but don't really get why you're against using the BTC.
BunsenBurner

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:20:28 AM

To be honest, I am pretty happy with the current symbol BTC.

klabaki

Activity: 224

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 06:34:57 AM

I'd like to suggest the symbol Ƶ for "100 satoshis".

Let me give two reasons:

1.: Ƶ (unlike BTC) has an unicode representation.

2.: Ƶ looks cool! Grin

Ƶ = µBTC

Wer den Satoshi nicht ehrt, der ist den Ƶibcoin nicht wert.
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:02:46 AM

Three reasons, please!

3.: Think about the future, think about science-fiction! What's the currency symbol used most often in science-fiction??

Yes, it's a Ƶ.

And that's why we'll be using Ƶ for "100 satoshis", the Bitcoin unit of the future.

Ƶ = µBTC

ArnoldChippy

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 08:36:49 AM

Our English pound symbol (£) is the letter 'L', and before decimalisation we had Pounds, Shillings and Pence, which were denoted as L.s.d or (£sd).

So, Lound, Shilling, Dence - nice and easy eh?

I feel the bitcoin symbol does look a little like someone has just added a pair of eyelashes to a bold uppercase B.

▄▄▄▄
▐████▌
▀██▀
▐▌
▄██▄
▄▄▄▄ ▐████▌ ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▐████▌
████  ▄▄▄▄  ████
▐████▌
▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌      ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀
▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌
▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄
▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀
ivy|..FACILITATING SECURE, TRANSPARENT...........
BUSINESS PAYMENTS ON A GLOBAL SCALE....

..─────────  ❱❱  WHITEPAPER  ❰❰  ─────────..
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|.JOIN US NOW!.|
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 08:50:58 AM

The US dollar symbol has two lines through it.

It comes from the U and the S laid over top each other.

The symbol predates the adoption of the dollar by the US: http://www.moneyfactory.gov/faqlibrary.html. The linked article from the US Bureau of Engraving doesn't provide a definitive explanation, but suggests the symbol is an "S" (Spanish) and a "P" (pesos) overlaid.

This space intentionally left blank.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 12:17:50 PM

I'd like to suggest the symbol Ƶ for "100 satoshis"

Z?

Seems you have some agenda with your zibcoin?

klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 12:24:09 PM

Z?

The idea of Ƶcoin is simply too good not to share it.

You call it agenda, I call it enthusiasm. Wink

Ƶ = µBTC

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 12:27:26 PM

Z?

It's not an alt-coin, it's a proposed name for 100 Satoshis. (Of all the BTC renaming proposals it's actually one of the better ones, because some thought has gone into what would need to be done, etc).

This space intentionally left blank.
rgm108

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 01:59:34 PM

Already a discussion about using Ƀ because it's already available in Unicode.

Source:
http://www.coindesk.com/industry-website-advocate-bitcoins-unicode-symbol/

SPECTRE                ▄▄███▄▄
            ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀ ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄
████▄▄  ▀▀▀ ▄▄███████████▄▄ ▀▀▀  ▄▄████
  ▀▀████▄    ▀▀█████████▀▀    ▄████▀▀
 ██▄▄ ▀██ █▄▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█ ██▀ ▄▄██
 ▀▀███ ██ █████▄       ▄█████ ██ ███▀▀
     ██ ███████▄   ▄███████ ██
       ██ ████████   ████████ ██
       ██▄▄ ▀▀████   ████▀▀ ▄▄██
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
            │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │    ███
███  │    ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
TWITTER     SLACK     MEDIUM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
klabaki

Ƶ = µBTC

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 11:51:43 PM

Already a discussion about using Ƀ because it's already available in Unicode.

Source:
http://www.coindesk.com/industry-website-advocate-bitcoins-unicode-symbol/

I've already seen this symbol on some trading site.

I can confirm that it is recognised as meaning "bitcoin".
It's definitely a good option if unicode compliance is needed.

It looks ugly though.

Ƶ = µBTC

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:34:32 AM

I think at this stage in the game, changing the bitcoin symbol would be poor marketing. Keep the BTC! What's wrong with it?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: