Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:25:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: House of Windsor - Commonwealth of Nations - Who decides?  (Read 2283 times)
RockHound (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:25:51 AM

Sorry for the title - Been watching too much Game of Thrones  Cheesy

I remember when the EUR was introduced, at the time sparked many debates here in the UK about whether we should change our GBP to EUR, along with gradual acceptance from France, Spain, Northern Ireland to name but a few. But who (which group) actually gave the go-ahead to change their fiat currency to EUR? Certainly wasn't put to public vote.

Queen Elizabeth II is head of state for her sovereignty, known as the Commonwealth realm.

I think this includes 16 Countries and her face is printed on something like 20+ different fiat currencies. So my point is, if we get her in a room and make her watch The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin, will she have the power to make BTC the currency of the Commonwealth?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:47:37 AM

or Doge, whatever..

Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:33:37 PM

No. She has a lot of influence, but not a lot of power.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:46:40 PM

I remember when the EUR was introduced, at the time sparked many debates here in the UK about whether we should change our GBP to EUR, along with gradual acceptance from France, Spain, Northern Ireland to name but a few. But who (which group) actually gave the go-ahead to change their fiat currency to EUR? Certainly wasn't put to public vote.

Queen Elizabeth II is head of state for her sovereignty, known as the Commonwealth realm.

I think this includes 16 Countries and her face is printed on something like 20+ different fiat currencies. So my point is, if we get her in a room and make her watch The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin, will she have the power to make BTC the currency of the Commonwealth?

apparently is was up for Vote in Croatia recently. They had a 51% pro and 49% against EUR vote so it was decided that they adapt the EURO and now soon they will get it.

Such a close Vote... and they just do it... wtf...

thats what I heard from someone when I was their for holiday last fall.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 01:51:05 PM

You could try to teach her sons about Bitcoin so they can influence the rest of the world

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 03:33:22 PM

The Commonwealth includes countries like India where the Queen isn't Head of State, and even countries like Mozambique which have never been ruled by a UK monarch. That aside, probably not - in theory the Queen is Head of State and has executive power (which she does sometimes use); in practice most executive power rests with the governments.

Put another way -  can you imagine how please Canadians would be if the Queen told them they had to drop the Canadian dollar in favour of... well, anything!

This space intentionally left blank.
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:17:12 PM

apparently is was up for Vote in Croatia recently. They had a 51% pro and 49% against EUR vote so it was decided that they adapt the EURO and now soon they will get it.

Such a close Vote... and they just do it... wtf...

thats what I heard from someone when I was their for holiday last fall.

Cheers Aswan, good it's left to public vote in Croatia. Part of me still thinks it's ultimately decided by banking groups + government partnership
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:29:02 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2014, 01:24:22 AM by RockHound

The Commonwealth includes countries like India where the Queen isn't Head of State, and even countries like Mozambique which have never been ruled by a UK monarch. That aside, probably not - in theory the Queen is Head of State and has executive power (which she does sometimes use); in practice most executive power rests with the governments.

Put another way -  can you imagine how please Canadians would be if the Queen told them they had to drop the Canadian dollar in favour of... well, anything!

Cheers for the info, Yeah I don't believe Canadians would be too happy at first, UK, likewise.

So, most likely to be a non-sovereign state/country that will declare bitcoin as their nations currency/legal tender.

Honestly, don't think we will see that happen within our lifetime? Bitcoin is likely to be something allied to fiat for another 2 generations??
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 06:31:04 PM

Nigel Farange fan detected.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
RockHound (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:01:05 PM

Nah dude, he's against Euro integration. So would likely be against switching from GBP to BTC.

Sort of agree with him about bailouts, raw deal for the respective citizens there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: