Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:02:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth addresses?  (Read 699 times)
testconpastas2 (OP)

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:22:09 PM

Now, the pretty cool darkwallet has just been released.

Are stealth addresses going to be included in our favorite wallet any time soon?

Regards.

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:02:08 AM

You can see the roadmap here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=427617.0

Stealth addresses are not on the roadmap. AFAIK the stealth address specs haven't been finalized yet and that is stopping people from implementing them. This is a long journey. BIP38, multisig etc. have still not gotten widespread support after many years. HD wallets are just beginning to come out.
testconpastas2 (OP)

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:55:20 AM

You can see the roadmap here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=427617.0

Stealth addresses are not on the roadmap. AFAIK the stealth address specs haven't been finalized yet and that is stopping people from implementing them. This is a long journey. BIP38, multisig etc. have still not gotten widespread support after many years. HD wallets are just beginning to come out.

Thank you.

sorry to hear it Sad 

multisign and stealh addr, are IMHO two of the most important security features since BIP38 and HD wallets.

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 12:20:51 PM

multisign and stealh addr, are IMHO two of the most important security features since BIP38 and HD wallets.

Stealth Addresses would be difficult at this stage to implement, as the implementation of DW is not finalized and has yet to be accepted as a standard format.

Until Stealth Addresses as they exist in Dark Wallet, are accepted as a BIP, I wouldn't think taking the time to include them would be worth it.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

However, I think one problem of the current implementation of stealth addresses in DW is the way they handle multisig P2SH. The stealth address would have to include the spend_pubkey of each of N addresses in it, so as you extrapolate it to 5 of 9, 17 of 33 etc etc... the stealth address will be unwieldy large.

I think if they would just keep the format as strictly P2KH...

Not to mention that implementing Stealth Addresses as they exist in DW would require storing a separate table on the Electrum servers to look up for the OP_RETURNS in order to create the addresses. (otherwise they would not be able to be restored by seed)

tl;dr: It's not finalized on their end, and until a BIP is approved for the "Dual-key Stealth Address which includes P2SH ability" it should not be included anywhere else but Dark Wallet.

Edit: Links for further study. (#1 and #2 are revolutionary and make stealth usable to normal people. #3 is a little ambitious but I would like to see it happen)

1. Database format for OP_RETURN storage and easy lookup.
https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Stealth#Database_file_format

2. Dual-key Stealth, and how it works.
https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Stealth#Dual-key_stealth

3. How the Stealth Address can be used to create shared secret multisigs.
https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Stealth#Multisig_stealth

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:46:53 AM

I just got sending to stealth addresses working on 1.9.8... but to be honest, DW is talking about changing format, and I don't have the time to put in all the checks necessary to make it solid.

Not to mention the current master head on github did a complete overhaul of the Transactions class, which is what I did heavy work on...

My opinion is: wait for it. It'll come eventually once stealth addresses are set in stone (in a BIP)

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
BSIG

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Vintage4X4

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:40:35 PM

I just got sending to stealth addresses working on 1.9.8... but to be honest, DW is talking about changing format, and I don't have the time to put in all the checks necessary to make it solid.

Not to mention the current master head on github did a complete overhaul of the Transactions class, which is what I did heavy work on...

My opinion is: wait for it. It'll come eventually once stealth addresses are set in stone (in a BIP)

Good to hear it, Thanks.

Smiley

Vintage4X4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: