Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:22:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I must be doing something wrong  (Read 849 times)
static_cat (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:53:18 PM

I'm on a Mac Pro; quad core Intel Xeon, dual 6GB ATI D700s, 16 GB RAM, running Windows 8 on Bootcamp, and decided to see what the cryptocoin mining thing was all about. I downloaded cgminer 3.7.2 and used this as my batch script:

cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://us-west.multipool.us:7777 -u
name.1  -p xxxxxx

and this is my cgminer.conf file:

Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://us-west2.multipool.us:7777",
"user" : "name.1",
"pass" : "x"
},
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://us-east.multipool.us:7777",
},
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://us-west.multipool.us:7777",
}
]

"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"api-listen" : true,

"intensity" : "13",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "8192",
"shaders" : "2048,",
"gpu-engine" : "0-0",
"gpu-fan" : "0",
"gpu-memclock" : "0",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "75",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "65",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"scrypt" : true,
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

I use CGWatcher with the proper cgminer files selected in my CGWatcher profile, but I run into a few issues. Firstly, is CGWatcher just really really slow? It only responds to my clicks after several (upwards of 45) seconds, and on a machine like this I feel like that shouldn't happen. Secondly, I keep getting an issue that cgminer's API never starts up or is never able to be reached by CGWatcher. When I try executing the batch independently, I get a console window that flashes some text in it, then goes completely black and doesn't print anything again, although a few moments later I hear the fans in my computer turn up really high.

I have the ATI OpenCL SDK installed, and when I'm not home or on the computer, I'd like to have both graphics cards working on the mining process.

Ultimately, I just want to use CGWatcher to connect to Multipool's multi-coin-mining URL and try some coin mining, but I've been screwing around with batch and config files while wrestling with a glitchy CGWatcher and various mining tutorials for two days now. Anybody have any tips? A donation to whomever helps me get this to work  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:58:57 PM

You're most likely using your CPU for mining, that's why it gets completely slow. Also, don't even bother trying to mine with GPUs anymore. It's not feasible. You need ASICs, just google for Bitcoin ASICs. They're chips especially designed to mine bitcoin. And they're faster than even the fastest GPU. And not like a bit faster, but rather 100x faster at least. While they consume much less energy than your graphics card.
If you want to buy an ASIC miner, please research companies that don't deliver (on time): Butterfly Labs (BFL), KNC, HashFast. And don't do pre-orders. Seriously.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
static_cat (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:10:03 PM

Yeah, I've decided against BTC mining, but figured I'd try altcoins like lite or doge. Multipool supposedly auto-switches your miners to mine whatever's most profitable at the moment, but the setup is supposed to be the same as setting up to mine one specified coin type.

Also, I have a GPU profiler that says the GPUs are bearing the load while my CPU stays around 5%, so I don't know that my problem lies there... but thanks for your input!
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:13:48 PM

Yeah, I've decided against BTC mining, but figured I'd try altcoins like lite or doge. Multipool supposedly auto-switches your miners to mine whatever's most profitable at the moment, but the setup is supposed to be the same as setting up to mine one specified coin type.

Also, I have a GPU profiler that says the GPUs are bearing the load while my CPU stays around 5%, so I don't know that my problem lies there... but thanks for your input!

Yeah alts are an option. Keep in mind though that it wears out your cards to put them under constant stress. But it's worse with notebook computers. A Mac Pro could handle it I guess. But keep it in mind. If your CPU is at 5% it isn't doing any hashing, yeah that seems to be OK then. A CPU would be even more worthless for mining Bitcoin, it's completely hopeless. Like... 10 cent a year at best unprofitable.

static_cat (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:21:59 PM

I'd read that if the temp doesn't get too hot then it won't really wear the cards out, is that true?

Also, any idea why the API wouldn't be working?
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 04:30:13 PM

I'd read that if the temp doesn't get too hot then it won't really wear the cards out, is that true?

Also, any idea why the API wouldn't be working?

Temperature definitely is the number 1 killer for hardware what this is concerned. It gets even worse when it comes to notebook computers. Many suffer from breaking solderings of the GPU due to repeated cycles of heating up and cooling down subsequently, which essentially renders the computer dead.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: