Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:50:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you have a facebook account?
Of course, and I also applied for a RFID chip under my skin - 5 (16.7%)
I have plenty of accounts, all with fake names and photos - 7 (23.3%)
Yeah, it's a nice website and after all, everybody uses it, so why not me? - 9 (30%)
No, I just don't.  I hate this stuff. - 9 (30%)
Isn't facebook an other name for internet? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 1275 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:22:04 PM

Just curious about your opinion about this website.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2011, 09:45:38 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2011, 02:22:56 AM by bitcoin2cash

I don't think it's really useful to treat all Facebook accounts as equal. There's a difference between having a profile set to "friends only" with only your family and a few close friends able to view it and a profile with everything public or having 1,000 strangers added as friends or letting every fly-by-night game company have full access. Having a Facebook account tells you almost nothing about how much privacy is being lost or what kind of person someone is. As with most things in life, it's a subtle issue and your poll doesn't reflect that very well.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 09:50:16 PM

I don't think it's really useful to treat all Facebook accounts as equal. There's a difference between having a profile set to "friends only" with only your family and a few close friends able to view it and a profile with everything public or having 1,000 strangers added as friends or letting every fly-by-night game company have full access. Having a Facebook account tells you absolutely nothing about how much privacy is being lost or what kind of person they are. As with most things in life, it's a subtle issue.
Absolutely. I voted for the "plenty of accounts, fake names and photos" option (though I only have the one account, it's the fake name and photo that I voted for). The reason I have the account is solely to follow other accounts (organisations, mostly, but a few individuals - most of my family and friends are Facebook-phobic).

It does never cease to amaze me the degree to which many (most...) Facebook users are prepared to give up their privacy. But that doesn't negate the value for me, or mean that all Facebook users are so naive.

This space intentionally left blank.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 12:15:16 AM

Seems to me like such a large percentage of the population routing their communications, and storing personal info such as network of friends etc. through facebook's servers is the equivalent of a large percentage of the population storing their money in one bank. 

"All power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 02:14:14 AM

I have two Facebook accounts. One is pretty extreme with the privacy settings. The other is a developer test account.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 02:56:46 AM

It's funny you ask with the poll about the RFID implant, as I just most recently posted a joke photo to my own Facebook profile where I am holding a real RFID pet chip syringe to someone's bared arms at a trade show where such things were for sale.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 03:07:20 AM

One is pretty extreme with the privacy settings.

Question remains: private to who?
As far as I can see it, FB employees with access to the database still can overcome any privacy settings you may have for general public...

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 03:41:56 AM

One is pretty extreme with the privacy settings.

Question remains: private to who?
As far as I can see it, FB employees with access to the database still can overcome any privacy settings you may have for general public...

Oh, I'm aware of that. I never said that any of the information was correct.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: