Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:34:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How far will it dip?
Staying above $400 (this IS the bottom) - 44 (41.1%)
$300 - $400 - 29 (27.1%)
$200 - $300 - 16 (15%)
$100 - $200 - 8 (7.5%)
Sub $100 (gasp, massive buy opportunity) - 10 (9.3%)
Total Voters: 107

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll] What are the predictions on the bottom? (should i sell and buy back in)  (Read 1473 times)
liexel (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:11:06 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 08:46:56 AM by liexel

Looks like the downtrend is continuing a little longer, whats the prediction on the bottom?

Sidenote: Ok i bought in on average at about $550, should i sell now and buy back in?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Arghhh

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:42:12 AM

I'd like to see the market visit sub-400 to shake out the weak hands, bring in new speculators, and more coins for me.
greatway

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:44:33 AM

i think we won't see sub-400 again.
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:45:41 AM

People said the same thing in March/early April...  Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 09:32:42 AM

if chinese exchanges stop deposits in chinese fiat for real, I expect 350, like the last bottom.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 09:52:55 AM

If it goes below $400 it will be quick and brief and if you have bids in place it will only hit them if they are small.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 02:53:08 PM

Looks like the downtrend is continuing a little longer, whats the prediction on the bottom?

Sidenote: Ok i bought in on average at about $550, should i sell now and buy back in?

I should advise you that the majority of voters in polls on this website are ALWAYS WRONG!

Always wrong and always overly optimistic.

Does this feel like a 'bottom' to you?

Grinding down on very low volume gradually working it's way lower and lower? Next time there is a spike in volume, is it more likely to be selling pressure smashing into BID walls or avid investors voraciously eating into Ask wall?

Hint: Look along the charts at the Feb/Mar and Mar/Apri period for a clue as to what comes next. Notice any similarities? Oooh, and wasn't the long term $380 support broken just 2-3 weeks ago?

I voted on $200-$300 range. In the meantime however, I think it is a pretty good bet that Bitcoin will need to test mid $300 again.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:15:42 PM

well you would have to sell lower (430) and hopefully buy lower.  Do the math and decide if it all makes sense.
Selling now at 430.  If sold at 430, then you take 120 loss per btc.  If you think it will go to 310 (which would be a break even point....if my math is correct) then consider doing so (remembering it was 339 ish a few weeks ago....might or might not break that)
liexel (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:26:38 PM

I should advise you that the majority of voters in polls on this website are ALWAYS WRONG!

Grinding down on very low volume gradually working it's way lower and lower? Next time there is a spike in volume, is it more likely to be selling pressure smashing into BID walls or avid investors voraciously eating into Ask wall?

Hint: Look along the charts at the Feb/Mar and Mar/Apri period for a clue as to what comes next. Notice any similarities? Oooh, and wasn't the long term $380 support broken just 2-3 weeks ago?

I voted on $200-$300 range. In the meantime however, I think it is a pretty good bet that Bitcoin will need to test mid $300 again.

at the moment it does seem at least that 60% of people think it's still bearish at the moment. so possibly theres some truth to the wisdom of crowds.

well you would have to sell lower (430) and hopefully buy lower.  Do the math and decide if it all makes sense.
Selling now at 430.  If sold at 430, then you take 120 loss per btc.  If you think it will go to 310 (which would be a break even point....if my math is correct) then consider doing so (remembering it was 339 ish a few weeks ago....might or might not break that)

if i invested $55,000 at $550, what i have at the moment is $43,000. so rather than holding it up till the price is $550 again, i could cash out out and buy again when it is $300, so it amounts to more than $55,000 when the price is back at $550.

well i hope i dont get burned.
bitcoinsrus

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:48:14 PM

at the moment it does seem at least that 60% of people think it's still bearish at the moment. so possibly theres some truth to the wisdom of crowds.

if i invested $55,000 at $550, what i have at the moment is $43,000. so rather than holding it up till the price is $550 again, i could cash out out and buy again when it is $300, so it amounts to more than $55,000 when the price is back at $550.

well i hope i dont get burned.

Do you think it can reach 300?  It went to 339 last time and hard large buy orders.  Many bought way above your original buy in.  IMO you probably should just call it a day.  But if you think it can go lower, then you can rebuy in lower
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:58:16 PM

57.1% of voters in this poll are bearish at this point in time.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Bazil240

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:08:36 PM

well you would have to sell lower (430) and hopefully buy lower.  Do the math and decide if it all makes sense.
Selling now at 430.  If sold at 430, then you take 120 loss per btc.  If you think it will go to 310 (which would be a break even point....if my math is correct) then consider doing so (remembering it was 339 ish a few weeks ago....might or might not break that)

Your math may be flawed. The price doesn't have to drop to 300 for him to break even.

For example, lets say he invested his 55k @ $550 (100 coins) with the hope of doubling his money. Easy if he holds; just wait unit the price hits $1100 and profit 55k.

However, he could sell now and take the 12k hit (ouch). And let's say he either gets impatient or he catches the bottom at $380. Doomed, right?

Well, not really. 43k @$380 nets him ~113 coins. If he sells at the same time as if he had held ($1100), he'll have 124k.

124 - 55 - 12 = 57k

If he "catches the knife" @ 300, then his profit will be 90k.

So whether or not it is a good idea to sell now depends on both when he buys back and when he sells. It is only riskier to sell now if you believe $430 is the bottom and your not willing to wait to sell when it does go back up (if he buys back in @ $400 for whatever reason he will have to wait all the way until $1150 instead of $1100 to "break even").

bitcoinsrus

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:19:36 PM

well you would have to sell lower (430) and hopefully buy lower.  Do the math and decide if it all makes sense.
Selling now at 430.  If sold at 430, then you take 120 loss per btc.  If you think it will go to 310 (which would be a break even point....if my math is correct) then consider doing so (remembering it was 339 ish a few weeks ago....might or might not break that)

Your math may be flawed. The price doesn't have to drop to 300 for him to break even.

For example, lets say he invested his 55k @ $550 (100 coins) with the hope of doubling his money. Easy if he holds; just wait unit the price hits $1100 and profit 55k.

However, he could sell now and take the 12k hit (ouch). And let's say he either gets impatient or he catches the bottom at $380. Doomed, right?

Well, not really. 43k @$380 nets him ~113 coins. If he sells at the same time as if he had held ($1100), he'll have 124k.

124 - 55 - 12 = 57k

If he "catches the knife" @ 300, then his profit will be 90k.

So whether or not it is a good idea to sell now depends on both when he buys back and when he sells. It is only riskier to sell now if you believe $430 is the bottom and your not willing to wait to sell when it does go back up (if he buys back in @ $400 for whatever reason he will have to wait all the way until $1150 instead of $1100 to "break even").

I think my math was probably flawed, so let me see again.  He bought at 550.  I said if he sold at 430, he would sell off 120 off each coin as a loss.  For him to make up that 120, he would have to buy back in at 120 lower than 430 which is 310.

I agree with what you said about it going back to 1100, which is why I was telling him that maybe he should not hope to catch lower and be greedy because it could stay here (and most likely go a little more down).

You are probably right or close when it comes to his future potential profit if it goes higher.  And I personally think its best to keep what you have, maybe miss out on several coins (rather than have it rally up because it might take time to liquidate the coins and then rebuy in etc).
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:26:44 PM

In that case by your own words we're not going below 400. But people are pretty divided, a 56.2% majority does not fall within a 95% confidence interval if you look at the number of voters. Then again this forum has a bullish bias, so a more representative poll will probably show a higher percentage of people who think we haven't seen the bottom yet.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:29:03 PM

It could hit sub 400 in a handful of minutes if the markets were in the mood for it. It may well be sideways or down but the opportunities for increasing holdings big time by selling and buying back must be getting weaker.

It's more of a period for swooping in and out with a percentage of your holdings than betting everything.

Selling up now when lows have been repeated on several occasions and the end of the Chinese torture is dawning, is a pretty meaty risk compared to other times.

You'd have to stay up 24/7 to scoop up any dramatic drops.

Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:19:54 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 07:32:39 PM by Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

What kind of weird logic is that? If he will be able to buy at the lower price that he sold he would always make profit (minus trading costs etc). Why does it have to go to $310 to make sense for him to sell at $430?

Btw, by the same logic people who buy at $930, could only sell at $430 if they expected bitcoin to fall to MINUS $70 Huh

EDIT: My point is, whether he should sell and buy back or not has *nothing* to do with his average buy-in price. It is about predicting future price of BTC and has nothing to do with his transaction history Wink
bitcoinsrus

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:34:00 PM

What kind of weird logic is that? If he will be able to buy at the lower price that he sold he would always make profit (minus trading costs etc). Why does it have to go to $310 to make sense for him to sell at $430?

Btw, by the same logic people who buy at $930, could only sell at $430 if they expected bitcoin to fall to MINUS $70 Huh

EDIT: My point is, whether he should sell and buy back or not has *nothing* to do with his average buy-in price. It is about predicting future price of BTC and has nothing to do with his transaction history Wink

He said he bought at 550.  So now its 430.  If he sold now, he takes a 120 dive.  In order to make up that 120, it needs to drop to 310 for him to buy back in. 
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 08:25:34 PM

People said the same thing in March/early April...  Cheesy

When it dipped below $400 for less than 8 hours............... Ya I wouldn't be to upset about that...
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 09:53:01 PM

High risk ...and a real novice move

What happens if you have a buy in @ 330 and it only hits 331 (this has happned to me on many occasions and to make a point I  missed getting filled  one time by 0.4 cents Sad )

SO now where are you ...locked in 12 k loss and by the time you scramble to figure out what is going on and IF (big IF ) you are awake or at a terminal when all of this happens you can get a new market order on

1) Locked in 12k loss
2) Misssed getting filled
3) Missed the movement
= HIGH Risk

I think you have a 1 in 3 of this working for you ...On the trade you are talking about it could easily end up costing you 20-25k

The market loves smashing people into the ground  Cool

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 10:35:40 PM

He said he bought at 550.  So now its 430.  If he sold now, he takes a 120 dive.  In order to make up that 120, it needs to drop to 310 for him to buy back in. 

This talk about "making up" losses does not make sense. This is faulty logic.  Whatever your buy-in price is is, if you are long now and bitcoin falls down next $50 or $150 you would be better off selling now and buying back. Period. (If you think we are very close to the bottom or if your holding is very small, trading cost may eat the potential gain. Still, nothing to do with the cost of buying bitcoins. 
Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 10:39:21 PM

What happens if you have a buy in @ 330 and it only hits 331

You set your buy-in order higher - like $335 Wink.

So you think btc will fall to $331 and still advise OP not to sell at $430? This is sort of an alternative logic that is very common in this forum. Still cannot understand such reasoning  Huh Perhaps because I have Ph.D. in mathematics, LOL.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 11:05:56 PM

High risk ...and a real novice move

What happens if you have a buy in @ 330 and it only hits 331 (this has happned to me on many occasions and to make a point I  missed getting filled  one time by 0.4 cents Sad )

I missed where the OP stated that he was buying back in entirely at $330.

Dont do that! Buy in in tranches FFS!

Back in March on the crash to $400, I had dreamt that Bitcoin would rebound off $380 a couple of weeks previously (I place a lot of faith in my dreams when I get them). Thus, I placed a 60 BTC order at $391.34 (every penny of spare capital that I had to throw at Bitcoin). I missed out on the bottom with my entire order by less than $10. By the time I got out my bed, Bitcoin was already back up over $500 and I had totally missed out on what might have been a 13K profit within 2 days, but due to my shit trading skills would have probably been just an 8K  USD profit. As it turns out, I got fuck all except 1K I took on 20 BTC from $490 to $545.

Always buy in tranches!

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 11:17:28 PM

What happens if you have a buy in @ 330 and it only hits 331

You set your buy-in order higher - like $335 Wink.

So you think btc will fall to $331 and still advise OP not to sell at $430? This is sort of an alternative logic that is very common in this forum. Still cannot understand such reasoning  Huh Perhaps because I have Ph.D. in mathematics, LOL.

You guys are on crack ....I was using it as an EXAMPLE !!!

I think IT wont go below 415 ...if it does it will be a flash crash that you will be lucky to catch

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: