Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:47:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you think the Bitcoin debit card will affect prices?  (Read 1881 times)
doolittle

Activity: 340
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:46:04 AM

These Bitcoin Debit cards are an interesting phenomenon. There have been tons of news on Cryptex, Xapo and others recently.
Fundamentaly bitcoin debit cards represent just another offramp. They are interesting to those who really want to use bitcoin.
Why should you want to use bitcoin?

1) because it is cheaper
2) because you need bitcoin to buy what you want
3) because you are an early adopter sitting on a lot of BTC

Argument 1) is a bit dubious from the customer side, especially if a lot of intermediaries want to make a cut as well
Argument 2) refers to dogecointipping and silkroad
Argument 3) is a valid one

To me better off-ramps are especially interesting for early adopters. Unless you can really get some monetary advantage of using BTC over cash.
Same goes for Bitcoin gift cards and similar stuff
Your opinions?

Historically Bitcoin has been a better store of value than government currency. Over time that means that immediately converting your paycheck to bitcoins and spending as you currently do will make you better off in the long run. Until Bitcoin is accepted everywhere, this means that you still have to keep government money in the bank to buy things.

Keeping your money in the bank sucks, they literally own your money once you make a deposit. It is just as safe as putting your bitcoins on a third party server. You wouldn't do it with your bitcoins so why do it with your government money.

As things get worse, the first two points become much more apparent. Hyperinflation and things like Cyprus have no affect on the bitcoin user (other than less buying power per paycheck).

What has a bitcoin debit card to do with the way you store your fiat money? If you are concerned about the security of banks and you do not want to change to btc or you need some fiat for purchases you can take the cash and put it in a vault at your place.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 12:14:05 PM

What has a bitcoin debit card to do with the way you store your fiat money? If you are concerned about the security of banks and you do not want to change to btc or you need some fiat for purchases you can take the cash and put it in a vault at your place.

Holding government currency ensures that you lose purchasing power over the long run.

Converting immediately to bitcoins is best, and holding your money in bitcoin as long as possible is even better.

The fact that this Mastercard converts to government currency only at the point of sale means that you can hold your money in bitcoins for the longest possible time, just as long as making a purchase using bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
doolittle

Activity: 340
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:21:24 PM

@Elwar: Ok, I can see your point. If you are very bullish on btc you will want to minimize the fiat money holding
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:28:31 PM

I asked Coinbase about a card and they said, "Sooner rather than later."  I think I trust Coinbase a lot more than Xapo, so I may wait if it's not too long.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 05:01:03 AM

I asked Coinbase about a card and they said, "Sooner rather than later."  I think I trust Coinbase a lot more than Xapo, so I may wait if it's not too long.

I agree, if Coinbase comes out with one I would go with it.

They are the only online wallet I have bitcoins on (only because I have not gotten around to transferring them to cold storage). I feel fairly secure with them there.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 10:50:01 PM

these cards will not last.
they allow people to completely bypass the fraudulent banking system by converting your paycheck immediately to bitcoin and paying anywhere using the card.
the banksters can not allow this to happen as their power depends on their ability to control the issuance of money.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: