Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:43:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining is usefull ?  (Read 1814 times)
MarcelloM (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 08:28:12 AM

Just a newbie question. This "mining" process is just waste of electricity to extract codes or are we realling solving mathematical CPU intensive processes like finding prime numbers or scanning SETI data for intelligent radio signal or something like that?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 08:33:48 AM

In order for a transaction to be "unwritten" from the record an amount of work equal to all hashing done after the tx is recorded must be done.

So it's useful in the sense that you are making Bitcoin balances and transactions more secure. It is not useful for anything else.

The way to think about it is that it's more efficient than gaurds, guns, walls, vaults, etc.

There is a reason that 'useful' work can't be used, but I can't articulate it at the moment.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
zoro

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 08:42:06 AM

basically, we are transforming electricity to money  Grin

"killer app" of BTC = MasterCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.0Mastercoin(A new protocol layer on top of Bitcoin)
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 01:45:57 PM

Just a newbie question. This "mining" process is just waste of electricity to extract codes or are we realling solving mathematical CPU intensive processes like finding prime numbers or scanning SETI data for intelligent radio signal or something like that?

actually, the mining process is the act of using the hashing power of the entire network to crack the private keys of everyone who holds Bitcoin - in descending order of the magnitude of their holdings.

well... didn't you ever wonder about that?
KnuttyD

Activity: 109
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 02:26:02 PM

actually, the mining process is the act of using the hashing power of the entire network to crack the private keys of everyone who holds Bitcoin - in descending order of the magnitude of their holdings.

I dont have enough knowledge of the internal workings of Bitcoin to know if your joking or not, but I'll assume you are  Shocked

If I helped you in some way, and you feel obligated to do so, you can tip me some coin!
1KVadqbELY3KuJhkm9rDtcwxZknhRsfPHY
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 03:49:02 PM

wrong
mining is supposed to give an incentive NOT to use hashing power to crack keys.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 06:44:01 PM

We are really solving mathematical CPU intensive processes like protecting the future backbone of the world's financial system from sabotage.

I dont have enough knowledge of the internal workings of Bitcoin to know if your joking or not, but I'll assume you are  Shocked
He is, and if you ever feel the need to verify that, look at the source code.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 06:47:24 PM

wrong
sorry, but aren't hashing and key-cracking two totally unrelated problems?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 07:09:09 PM

wrong
sorry, but aren't hashing and key-cracking two totally unrelated problems?
Yes, but AFAIK they can both be solved on a GPU. So if you can use your GPU to mine, you won't use it for key-cracking.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
bitcoinharvester

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2011, 08:18:19 PM

No key cracking- mining is the way to go!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: