Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:15:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED]***Spondoolies Tech SP10 - 1.4-1.45Th/s - $2,795 + shipping***  (Read 32176 times)
Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:28:33 PM

Huh, mine is in that timeframe, but maybe hosting orders will take longer, as they have to be set up first.

Anyway, they seem to be going through their preorders fast, so soon it will take less than a week from ordering to production.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 04:19:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to notify you of some deviations we found in the current SP10 batch.

The early May batch ASICs we got are of a slow-slow corner ASIC.
We've discovered it on Saturday and we're working hard to adapt our firmware.

We've added an overclocking feature to the firmware. Zvi will describe its use in our technical blog.

The measured performance of the SP10 units built with these ASICs is 1.45 - 1.46 THs at 20C temperature. To achieve these numbers, some tweaking of the new settings is recommended:

Increase the initial operational voltage to ~0.69
Increase the max current to 1260W.
It will also be possible to control the fan speed and find the optimal compromise between performance and noise.

Users that don't use overclocking
Expect around 20 minutes of ramp-up time for the system to achieve its full hashing rate. The hash rate will start at 1.3 TH/s and rise to around 1.44 TH/s after 20 minutes.

Compared with SP10 units that were built with typical corner ASICs running in turbo mode, the W/GHs ratio will be about 4% higher. Note however that both machines will enjoy the same W/GH ratio in the quiet mode.

Both Group Buy and non Group Buy miners are built with those ASICs.
Group Buy customers interested in additional SP10 will get 5% coupon.

Guy

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 04:28:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

We've added an overclocking feature to the firmware. Zvi will describe its use in our technical blog.

The measured performance of the SP10 units built with these ASICs is 1.45 - 1.46 THs at 20C temperature. To achieve these numbers, some tweaking of the new settings is recommended:

It will also be possible to control the fan speed and find the optimal compromise between performance and noise.

Expect around 20 minutes of ramp-up time for the system to achieve its full hashing rate. The hash rate will start at 1.3 TH/s and rise to around 1.44 TH/s after 20 minutes.

Compared with SP10 units that were built with typical corner ASICs running in turbo mode, the W/GHs ratio will be about 4% higher. Note however that both machines will enjoy the same W/GH ratio in the quiet mode.

Guy

Guy, I appreciate your honesty. While this is not the best news it shows your commitment to transparency and keeping customers updated.

I noticed this "corner ASIC" being discussed once before.

Can you briefly, in layman's terms, describe the difference between a "corner ASIC" and a "non-corner ASIC"?
Collider

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:36:16 PM

There are five types of corners: fast-fast, slow-slow, slow-fast, fast-slow and normal-normal.

It refers to the MOSFET and PMOS corner on a chip.

Basically, you want typical-typical corners, as this would be the optimal design.

However, all even corners will typically not damage the logic of the chip, i.e. fast-fast, slow-slow, typical-typical.
The chip might run faster, slower and/or less power efficient though, if it is not typical-typical.

The problem is, you dont really know which exact process will yield which corners, therefore there is a slight deviation the manufacturer of the chips makes, in order to find out the optimal structure.
(Basically trial and error)

Typically this is done at the very start of chip production and then evaluated, to later on only build optimal chips. Which circumstance has lead spondoolies to receive slow-slow chips in a later batch i dont know.
(Sometimes this can be caused by involuntary, small changes in the fabrication environmen of the chip)

Will the 5% be credited for every sp10 customer of the May batch?
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 04:38:46 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 04:51:56 PM by Spondoolies-Tech

Hi Everyone,

Guy

Guy, I appreciate your honesty. While this is not the best news it shows your commitment to transparency and keeping customers updated.

I noticed this "corner ASIC" being discussed once before.

Can you briefly, in layman's terms, describe the difference between a "corner ASIC" and a "non-corner ASIC"?

Disclaimer: My background is software.

There are manufacturing variants between each wafers lots. It's classic bell shape distribution.
Most of the ASICs wafers falls in typical corner.
Some falls under "slow" (less leakage, lower frequency at a given voltage).
Some falls under "fast" (leakier, higher frequency at a give voltage).

To compensate for the "slow slow" corner, we had to increase the voltage supplied to the ASICs by the DC2DC. Zvi can elaborate on it.

This is why we quote +- 10% when giving performance numbers.

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 04:43:40 PM

Typically this is done at the very start of chip production and then evaluated, to later on only build optimal chips. Which circumstance has lead spondoolies to receive slow-slow chips in a later batch i dont know.

We're going over the production WAT report to find out.
The system was designed to work with all the ASICs corners, except fast-fast. The production test remove fast-fast ASICs.
Some SP10 will be a bit better, some will be a bit worse than the average.

Will the 5% be credited for every sp10 customer of the May batch?

Yes, I think it's fair.
Next week systems might have better numbers, we really don't know yet.

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:15:41 PM

Yesterday I got two Antminer S2 (Batch 4) Ordered from different accounts.

Invoice 1) and 2)

1)Unit value 1200 USD
2)Unit value 2199 USD

1)Total Invoice Amount 1350,00 USD
2)Total Invoice Amount 2264,00 USD

1) Declared Value 1713,86 USD
2) Declared Value 2300,38 USD
Description of goods G2 Computer Game Gateway (Antminer)

Customs cost difference 132 EUR

I hope it gets better with SP10  and the Invoice is not too high.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:57:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

Guy
A 5% discount for Bitcointalk members sitting on the fence may spur sales especially if BTC goes up a bit.
gallery2000

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:52:47 AM

A 5% discount for Bitcointalk members sitting on the fence may spur sales especially if BTC goes up a bit.

You will get to 500 really quick if you give a 50% discount (better than 5%).  What do you think about my genius idea?

Collider

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:51:48 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 07:16:48 AM by Collider

50 % seems excessive, however AMC are currently shipping (from stock!) 750 GH/s +/-20% boards for 850$.

Add 100$ for PSU and 100$ for cooling and you are at 1.4 to 1.75$ / GH.

That does seem a better deal at the moment :/

Power efficiency seems to be roughly similar, i dont know about warranty though.
tzortz

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:48:37 AM

Its VMC and not AMC.

Also, how you know power consumption is similar???

It is their Prospector product but over-over clocked. They named it Gold Rush.
Is overpushed , overclocked chip making 1.3~1.4w/ghs at the wall.

Also, it is just a usb board. You need a host computer.
Many sold, also did not work.

Do your research.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Collider

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:10:13 AM

VMC is a subsidiary of AMC, so basically both are correct.

Power consumption is in the same ballpark, +/-20%.
If you clock at 600 you will roughtly have 0.9-1W/GH at the wall, and 1.75$ per GH.

It is the same chip as in the prospector, ie the hashfast chip which has been demonstrated to work with 750GH/s.
The board is adapted for higher power supply (better dc/dc).

I own more than one RPi and it would easily handle 5 of these boards, that is just nitpicking. Add 5$ per board for controlling if u want, but it will not change the atleast 1,75$/GH much.

I dont think they are actually shipping nonfunctioning boards, as they are factory tested, and also tested by hand before shipping.

While i dont like hashfast, everybody likes a good bang for your buck.
tzortz

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:20:12 AM

Prospector uses the same chip and is 500gh/s.
It consumes around 620w at the wall, making 1.22w/ghs.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=591368.msg6610600#msg6610600

You think that overclocking that would stay at same level. Definetely go at least 1.4w/ghs.

As about non-functioning blades.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560034.msg6476230#msg6476230

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 08:22:00 AM

I couldn't resist. What about Karma ? Those ASICs were sold twice. Pre-orders customers and VMC.

Collider

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:25:29 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 10:05:20 AM by Collider

I couldn't resist. What about Karma ? Those ASICs were sold twice. Pre-orders customers and VMC.
Hashfast gets the bad karma - and the lawsuits - technically they sold assembled machines and not chips.

If anything i get the "good" karma as i am trying to "save" hashfast by buying their chips, although they probably are beyond saving.

At the moment they only own chips and dont have enough cashflow for assembly,
and apparenlty dont plan on building the machines anymore, instead giving everybody chips.

I dont know the exact power consumption, only the claimed one which at some clock speed seems to be 0.75W/GH (at board level)
Hashfast measurements suggest under 0,7W/GH at chip level at 600GH/s , accounting for dc/dc loss that would translate to 0,86W/GH at board level and around 1W/GH at the wall, if they don´t build their board with wood dc/dc (and hashfast measurements are accurate)

I am not actually going to buy anything from them. Just pointing out their price  Grin

Edit: it seems like they arrive with a good probability of being DOA, so get your hot doorstops now!

How come most US mining companies are total desasters?
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:18:15 AM

Hashfast gets the bad karma - and the lawsuits - technically they sold assembled machines and not chips.

If anything i get the "good" karma as i am trying to "save" hashfast by buying their chips, although they probably are beyond saving.

At the moment they only own chips and dont have enough cashflow for assembly,
and apparenlty dont plan on building the machines anymore, instead giving everybody chips.

I dont know the exact power consumption, only the claimed one which at some clock speed seems to be 0.75W/GH (at board level)
Hashfast measurements suggest under 0,7W/GH at chip level at 600GH/s , accounting for dc/dc loss that would translate to 0,86W/GH at board level and around 1W/GH at the wall, if they don´t build their board with wood dc/dc (and hashfast measurements are accurate)

I am not actually going to buy anything from them. Just pointing out their price  Grin

Edit: it seems like they arrive with a good probability of being DOA, so get your hot doorstops now!

How come most US mining companies are total desasters?

Simple, just because they have the marketing does in no way mean that they have the engineering to see it through. Look at Spondoolies as an example, no-one knew anything about their work until they had a product ready to go - marketing vs engineering Smiley

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Collider

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:21:25 AM

Well, if you advertise a product you will not be able to deliver within advertised specs and in a timely fashion, you are committing consumer fraud.

You have to be pretty stupid to not realize that your house of cards (and lies) will at some point be falling down, probably burying you under it.
JakeTri

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:03:40 PM

Hi Everyone,

Guy

The discount coupon are only for customers who ordered SP10 as part of this group buy before May 13 ?
... or it is also valid for any group buy customers that want to place more SP10 orders even if his first group buy order was after May 13 ?
How and when do you plan distribute the discount coupons for early group buy customers ?

Thanks,
Jake

BTC donations always welcome: 1JakeTriwbahMYp1rSfJbTn7Afd1w62p2q
RoadStress (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:31:29 PM

The discount coupon are only for customers who ordered SP10 as part of this group buy before May 13 ?
... or it is also valid for any group buy customers that want to place more SP10 orders even if his first group buy order was after May 13 ?
How and when do you plan distribute the discount coupons for early group buy customers ?

Thanks,
Jake

The coupon is valid for the customers that ordered SP10 before May 13.

Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 12:33:26 PM

RoadStress will PM the customers. Alternatively, we'll reply to customers emailing sales@spondoolies-tech.com

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: