Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:41:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of GPU  (Read 1933 times)
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 01:29:09 PM

I'm quite certain Scrypt ASICs cannot mine Scrypt-N coins, whoever said that earlier.

Scrypt-N looks promising, but I think the future of mining cards will be NVIDIA - look at their performance with all the algorithms offered in CCMiner, many cards perform better than AMD for these algorithms.
scrypt-N looks like dying... (gpuc dead, exe not doing so good in the exchange, etc...)  and with summer approaching it might become a nice way to kill the cards too (too hot, excessive VRM temp which is not always possible to monitor).

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stacksmasher

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:31:54 PM

I have seen it with my own eyes, the guy wanted 10 BTC for the software (modified cgminer)

I'm quite certain Scrypt ASICs cannot mine Scrypt-N coins, whoever said that earlier.

Scrypt-N looks promising, but I think the future of mining cards will be NVIDIA - look at their performance with all the algorithms offered in CCMiner, many cards perform better than AMD for these algorithms.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:54:19 PM

scrypt-N looks like dying... (gpuc dead, exe not doing so good in the exchange, etc...)  and with summer approaching it might become a nice way to kill the cards too (too hot, excessive VRM temp which is not always possible to monitor).

My 2 cards went kaput while mining Scrypt-N , now i am mining x11 coins. Any coin which could implement the algorithm which could remain asic resistant for long time and does not overheat GPUs could be the future of GPU mining.
Bombadil

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Honestly? GPU mining will die out, *probably*. Why?
- The big ASIC's for scrypt are arriving, Scrypt-N is not popular enough, and there are rumours about X11 FPGA's. Sidenote: GPU's are adaptable. If for some reason, the next popular coin, like LTC/DOGE, arrives with a new algo that is cool in both ways, a gpu miner will be able to switch to it instantly (well, as fast as a dev can work and release their work Tongue )
- Mining isn't as popular as it used to be, but this could change if BTC has another big pump. Sidenote: Some miners will profit from the much lower hashrates, but it is volatile: as soon as it becomes really profitable again, all those sleeping rigs will be awakened again. I guess there are loads of people with GPU's they cannot sell.
- Pure PoS is running rampant these days, lead by BlackCoin, so no more mining required. Sidenote: Most pure PoS still have a few days to weeks with classic PoW for initial redistribution, so I guess some miners will stick to the game of mining every new coin Wink
- Mining with PoW isn't eco-friendly at all. In our age of global warming, isn't this something we should think about?

So, GPU mining, in my view, will die out, except for the hobbyists, like it was before they/we ever heard of a BTC/USD exchange Tongue
grosminer

Activity: 718

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 05:41:09 PM

Yes, hashing X11 algorithm means half the power consumption, up to 15°C cooler gpus and cca. triple megahash/s. At least for me.

Same here! And i guess X11 is really Asic resistant for now
DMacleod

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:07:15 PM

Yes, hashing X11 algorithm means half the power consumption, up to 15°C cooler gpus and cca. triple megahash/s. At least for me.

Same here! And i guess X11 is really Asic resistant for now

But it is not profitable to mine any existing x11 coin Sad
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 11:18:09 PM

I have seen it with my own eyes, the guy wanted 10 BTC for the software (modified cgminer)

Do you have a link for that? I'm very interested.
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 02:12:44 AM

Same here, I am sick of AMD for a reason. if Nvidia is as good as AMD I would choose Nvidia!!

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:11:51 AM

Same here, I am sick of AMD for a reason. if Nvidia is as good as AMD I would choose Nvidia!!

they are better at consumption, but for now without big cards, maxwell is not worth it imho

density is important, with 3x the rigs needed to accomplish the same hash, is not that efficient in the end

295x2 consume only 500watt if they weren't so damn expensive, they probably can be classified as the best card right now
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 04:54:01 PM

Sorry guys, I meant does stacksmasher have a link to the guy selling the modified CGMiner that allows ASICs on Scrypt-N for 10BTC.

Anyway, if you want to see how NVIDIA is catching up / passing AMD with certain algorithms, look at the 750 Ti's performance with algorithms included with CCMiner - it gets amazing efficiency for many algorithms included with CCMiner compared to AMD cards.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: