Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:38:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember remember the thread of the year, and what greed can do  (Read 1741 times)
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 06:02:13 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=59969.0

Let's remember the dangers of greed and leveraging 10:1 and not paying attention: you can lose  alot of money  Shocked

And let's remember that epic thread, it's original name was " +200% profits on bitcoinica in 1 day"; then it attack bitcoinica with "fraud on bitcoinica, who got margin calls point in point too ?" and, noticing the epic fail (because it's NOT bitcoinica fault), he locks it and rename it to "."

But... i think we should remember it  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 06:17:49 PM

I'll bump this

amazing thread

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 06:34:16 PM

Well, one thing we learned from that - post screenies after cashing out.  Grin
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:15:55 PM

Well, one thing we learned from that - post screenies after cashing out.  Grin
heh +1

http://youtu.be/JTEMHeZ0MQE

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:22:32 PM

The smartest people are the ones you never know.
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 03:47:32 AM

This was just a warm up round, I expect to see far worse train wrecks still lying ahead. By way of comparison, since the 9/11 attacks people barely even remember the World Trade Center bombing of 1993. We have yet to see the bitcoin 9/11.

I think talking about greed at all is an attempt to impose some sort of moral or ethical context where one simply doesn't apply because it simply isn't relevant. From a pragmatic point of view, the only mistakes our "greedy" subject made were tipping his hand and perhaps being a bit of a pig in the sense of the old saying, "Bulls win, bears win, and hogs get slaughtered".

Oh, and he relied on Bitcoinica to actually work the way it was presented to work. Whoopsie  Wink

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 07:17:49 AM

This was just a warm up round, I expect to see far worse train wrecks still lying ahead. By way of comparison, since the 9/11 attacks people barely even remember the World Trade Center bombing of 1993. We have yet to see the bitcoin 9/11.

1993 - my first house ($91k) - had a party and it was the CNN lead story.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 11:58:48 PM

in Singapore peeps live on the edge

... hey cool, the moment I previewed that the jessi alarms started to holla bull roars *goes to check if I'm now in the black again

& yes, it's so - actually I was a little while back as I'd over compensated for Khou's spreads ~ nice

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 12:02:15 AM

in Singapore they live on the edge

... hey cool, the moment I previewed that the jessi alarms started to holla bull roars *goes to check if I'm now in the black again

& yes, it's so - actually I was a little while back as I'd over compensated for Khou's spreads ~ nice

That is a really cool pool. Is there any like that in north america? If I am ever in Singapore I will have to check it out.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 12:08:50 AM

That is a really cool pool. Is there any like that in north america? If I am ever in Singapore I will have to check it out.

There was one at a hotel in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_San_Lucas

It looked out over the ocean though instead of a cityscape.

Less contrast, more infinity.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 12:26:40 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2012, 01:07:13 AM by Otoh

hmmmm

nice & all that, but perhaps more for the retiring old miners to contemplate their upcoming melding with & enjoying the infinite, rather than enterprising teens like Zhou where they're be looking out over their potential new future IPO's demesne of potential infiniteness too

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 03:46:37 AM

The original thread reminds me a little of playing texas hold'em poker and having fantastic starting cards.  The player is so excited he's already counting his winnings before the hand has finished and shows other players what he has.  They take note and use the information to relieve him of his entire stack after the 5th card hits the table.

Always treat your trading position as secret, unless you wish to manipulate other players in the game into making a trade or mistake to your advantage.  Paper profits are not yours until the trade is complete and the money is in your account.  The subject of the original thread learned a painful lesson.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 03:50:07 AM

The original thread reminds me a little of playing texas hold'em poker and having fantastic starting cards.  The player is so excited he's already counting his winnings before the hand has finished and shows other players what he has.  They take note and use the information to relieve him of his entire stack after the 5th card hits the table.

Always treat your trading position as secret, unless you wish to manipulate other players in the game into making a trade or mistake to your advantage.  Paper profits are not yours until the trade is complete and the money is in your account.  The subject of the original thread learned a painful lesson.

Never count your money when you're sitting at the table.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fMyr4aXE5Y

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: