Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:43:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSAR is the holy grail of indicators  (Read 6130 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 10:42:30 PM

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:51:41 PM

Good find indeed
 Smiley
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:28:22 PM

Indicators stop indicating once they become known.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 02:41:43 PM

Note that PSAR is nothing magical. Most of time, it flips AFTER the change in sell/buy mood happens. At that time, it is obvious that rally/sellof started. But it looks nice when layed on historical data, though. ;-)

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:48:49 PM

+1; but something else to add

Relationships between indicators break down once underlying market conditions which led to these relationships change. Conditions are constantly changing, particularly for something as inchoate as bitcoin. Since you have no idea why the indicators showed a relationship in the first place, you will have no idea when this relationship will break down, or what the new relationship will look like.

Holy Grail is an appropriate metaphor as it draws an implicit analogy between what you are doing and a hopeless, futile pursuit.
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:50:54 PM

Relationships between indicators break down once underlying market conditions which led to these relationships change. Conditions are constantly changing, particularly for something as inchoate as bitcoin. Since you have no idea why the indicators showed a relationship in the first place, you will have no idea when this relationship will break down, or what the new relationship will look like.

Holy Grail is really an appropriate metaphor here as it draws the correct analogy between what you are doing here and a much more well-known example of a hopeless, futile pursuit.

The purpose of this post was to point out an interesting correlation between an indicator and market activity over the last few months.  "Holy Grail" was put there to draw people's attention, and nobody really believes that there is any "holy grail of indicators."

(BFL)^2 < 0
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:52:13 PM

Holy Grail is really an appropriate metaphor here as it draws the correct analogy between what you are doing here and a much more well-known example of a hopeless, futile pursuit.

The purpose of this post was to point out an interesting correlation between an indicator and market activity over the last few months.  "Holy Grail" was put there to draw people's attention, and nobody really believes that there is any "holy grail of indicators."

I would take issue with your claims that your post had a "purpose" or was "interesting." I'll let everything else stand, though.
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:36:07 PM

Note that PSAR is nothing magical. Most of time, it flips AFTER the change in sell/buy mood happens. At that time, it is obvious that rally/sellof started. But it looks nice when layed on historical data, though. ;-)

Agreed, I always found PSAR to be good for confirming what had already happened too late to act on it  Wink

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:38:24 PM

Agreed, I always found PSAR to be good for confirming what had already happened too late to act on it  Wink

Technical analysis is the practice of following trends.  If you want the PSAR or any other technical indicator to predict a reversal, good luck.

Though there were already downtrends before the PSAR flipped, it evidently served as a confirmation.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Dutch Merganser

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:11:03 PM

Technical analysis is the practice of following trends.  If you want the PSAR or any other technical indicator to predict a reversal, good luck.

Though there were already downtrends before the PSAR flipped, it evidently served as a confirmation.

I was speaking in much broader terms of the applicability of the PSAR. There are measures I have found helpful, particularly after adjusting the parameters, I find the usual fixed default values for things like MACD, Bollinger bands, etc on most canned chart packages ( e.g. Bitcoinica's charts ) are not very useful.

I base this on having done quite a bit of back testing on historical data with all manner of measures. For example I was using Bollinger bands years before John Bollinger put his name on them and I found them very useful for picking entry points for an enhanced dollar cost averaging savings approach for mutual funds/IRAs/401K plans/etc. OTOH I find them much less useful in application to individual stocks.

It's worth going through the exercise of analyzing these measures that get tossed around so frequently, for one thing it becomes evident that by adjusting the parameters one can construct quite different conclusions for both specific and general scenarios.

As far as reversals go, the simplest example of a useful indicator I can think of would be a triple top or bottom, and those don't always work out either.

I definitely believe there is a large aspect of self fulfilling prophecy resulting from the use of the same technical indicators by so many parties. That alone is reason enough to watch them, but I don't believe anything all the time.

- Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:19:47 PM

ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:26:18 PM

The truth is, many of the well-known indicators do work in practice, even though they're "known."  This is a common myth about technical analysis.  In fact, the fact that many people follow them makes them self-perpetuating, which serves to reinforce their usefulness.

One need only look at Goomboo's backtesting of the 10/21 EMA rule in order to see that simple and well-known things can still work. 

(BFL)^2 < 0
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:29:27 PM

The market is an interesting place, because market activity never repeats itself. It does rhyme though, like the Mark Twain quote.

One can curve fit any indicator or methodology to the past and claim a holy grail, but the future is a different matter entirely.
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:32:47 PM

The market is an interesting place, because market activity never repeats itself. It does rhyme though, like the Mark Twain quote.

One can curve fit any indicator or methodology to the past and claim a holy grail, but the future is a different matter entirely.

+1.  Exactly what I believe about indicators.

(BFL)^2 < 0
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:34:31 PM

The truth is, many of the well-known indicators do work in practice, even though they're "known."  This is a common myth about technical analysis.  In fact, the fact that many people follow them makes them self-perpetuating, which serves to reinforce their usefulness.

One need only look at Goomboo's backtesting of the 10/21 EMA rule in order to see that simple and well-known things can still work.

I guess "followed" would be a better way to put it.  If I write a bot that follows the 10/21 EMA rule today, I'll get clobbered, because now people are following it, and their act of following it will cause the indicator to not work any more.  Just because it is an old and well known indicator in the real world isn't really the problem, but now that it is a known indicator here it will no longer work here.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Dutch Merganser

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:38:58 PM

Combinations of moving averages of various types, sampling periods, and intervals can be used to fit a wide range of assertions to arbitrary data samples. I'm not dismissing Goomboo's results on that basis, I just know that to be true by virtue of having done it. In a small, mostly rigged game like bitcoin, I don't find technical analysis very meaningful at all. The best models for understanding bitcoin as it is can be found in the realm of pretty standard penny stock manipulations.

- Victor Stenger

StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:40:15 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2012, 05:13:19 PM by StewartJ

UserName,

Thanks for bringing this indicator to light, had never heard of it before.

Noticed you're chart had it in the context of 5 Month / Daily display.

Did some research on it and found this helpful info on babypips web site:

--------------------------------------------------------
How to Trade Using Parabolic SAR
The nice thing about the Parabolic SAR is that it is really simple to use. We mean REALLY simple.
Basically, when the dots are below the candles, it is a buy signal; and when the dots are
above the candles, it is a sell signal.

Simple? Yes, we thought so. This is probably the easiest indicator to interpret because it assumes
that the price is either going up or down. With that said, this tool is best used in markets that
are trending,
and that have long rallies and downturns. You DON'T want to use this tool in
a choppy market where the price movement is sideways.

Read more: http://www.babypips.com/school/parabolic-sar.html
--------------------------------------------------------
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:48:04 PM

It about using indicators to know what people think is going to happen and then find the spot where it will deviate.

StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:52:46 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2012, 05:16:40 PM by StewartJ

Added this indicator in conjunction with GoomBoo's 5 Day / Hourly chart (10/21 EMAs).

Might be helpful in finding exit points
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:09:29 PM

I guess "followed" would be a better way to put it.  If I write a bot that follows the 10/21 EMA rule today, I'll get clobbered, because now people are following it, and their act of following it will cause the indicator to not work any more.  Just because it is an old and well known indicator in the real world isn't really the problem, but now that it is a known indicator here it will no longer work here.
That doesn't make any sense.

If everyone used it, and everyone received a "Buy" signal, then everyone would buy, and the price would shoot up.

Similarly, if everyone used it, and everyone received a "Sell" signal, then everyone would sell, and the price would drop like a rock.

The only fools would be the ones NOT using it.  That's what ineed is talking about when he says it is self-perpetuating.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: