Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Havelock switch to bits? 1 BTC = 1,000,000 bits.  1 bit = 100 satoshi  (Voting closed: May 15, 2014, 01:58:26 PM)
Yes - 42 (51.2%)
No - 21 (25.6%)
Wait until it becomes the standard - 16 (19.5%)
Set the standard and switch - 3 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 82

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HAVELOCK - Switching to bits?  (Read 2812 times)
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:22:11 AM

+1

Bits seems like a counterintuitive solution to a non-problem. I'd rather stick to metric prefixes anyone can understand.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:35:18 AM

+1

Bits seems like a counterintuitive solution to a non-problem. I'd rather stick to metric prefixes anyone can understand.

The issue here is the vast majority of people dealing with cryptos don't know what micro and milli mean. I can't count the number of times people look at me dumbfounded because they can't convert between the amounts because they don't know basic conversion. Anyone who has been to elementary school should already know the meaning of micro/milli, but sadly that just isn't the case. "Bit" takes away this "difficulty" people often have with trying to figure out the values.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
jimmothy

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:43:49 AM

The issue here is the vast majority of people dealing with cryptos don't know what micro and milli mean. I can't count the number of times people look at me dumbfounded because they can't convert between the amounts because they don't know basic conversion. Anyone who has been to elementary school should already know the meaning of micro/milli, but sadly that just isn't the case. "Bit" takes away this "difficulty" people often have with trying to figure out the values.

Anyone who doesn't know metric prefixes will not know what a bit is. Why introduce an arbitrary definition when the metric system or satoshis work perfectly fine? Seems like adding difficulty to me.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:47:12 AM

Make both options available for users, some of us are quite comfortable with decimal numbers.
I agree would prefer to have multiple panels one that uses mbtc and one that uses BTC that way I can change between them depending on the asset.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:15:54 PM

Anyone who has been to elementary school should already know the meaning of micro/milli, but sadly that just isn't the case. "Bit" takes away this "difficulty" people often have with trying to figure out the values.

We must make Havelock accessible to people without elementary school education because not enough greater fools Cool
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:52:09 PM

Anyone who doesn't know metric prefixes will not know what a bit is. Why introduce an arbitrary definition when the metric system or satoshis work perfectly fine? Seems like adding difficulty to me.

Well, people like this idea of what is "easier." The fact that milli and micro are even PART of the word turns people away because it turns into science. At the end of the day we're not going to be able to cater to everyone. For me, I can simply remember that a "bit" is a uBTC. It's not a huge deal for me either way. It does bring up a question, though... would it be like:

Bit (uBTC)
Megabit (mBTC)
Gigabit (BTC)

Or what? *That* is where it gets confusing.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:21:16 PM

I have no problem with bits. Not because I can't figure out the value of the prefix but because I shouldn't fucking have to. mBTC and MBTC and uBTC and yourmotherBTC all have their place, but an exchange should be unconfusing for a trader at first look.
jimmothy

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:26:43 PM

I have no problem with bits. Not because I can't figure out the value of the prefix but because I shouldn't fucking have to. mBTC and MBTC and uBTC and yourmotherBTC all have their place, but an exchange should be unconfusing for a trader at first look.

How is introducing an arbitrary definition less confusing than a metric prefix?

Should we introduce other arbitrary units of measurements? What about bitpieces(100 bits) or bitscraps (25 bitpieces) or bitdust (1/100 bitpieces)?
scryptographer

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:37:21 PM

Well, people like this idea of what is "easier." The fact that milli and micro are even PART of the word turns people away because it turns into science. At the end of the day we're not going to be able to cater to everyone. For me, I can simply remember that a "bit" is a uBTC. It's not a huge deal for me either way. It does bring up a question, though... would it be like:

Bit (uBTC)
Megabit (mBTC)
Gigabit (BTC)

Looks to me like bits would be a wise move, when even long time forum members with 2k+ posts, don't know the metric system..

Bits (uBTC)
KiloBits (mBTC)
MegaBits (BTC)

would be the correct names Smiley

rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:46:21 PM

How is introducing an arbitrary definition less confusing than a metric prefix?

Should we introduce other arbitrary units of measurements? What about bitpieces(100 bits) or bitscraps (25 bitpieces) or bitdust (1/100 bitpieces)?

How about Jimmothies? It can be more or less equal to the amount of money you're worth, so we can peg it at 3 Satoshi to the Jimmothy and be done with it Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry

Bits are fine, nigga, they're no more arbitrary than `Dollars` and `Cents`
jimmothy

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:53:26 PM

How about Jimmothies? It can be more or less equal to the amount of money you're worth, so we can peg it at 3 Satoshi to the Jimmothy and be done with it Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry

Bits are fine, nigga, they're no more arbitrary than `Dollars` and `Cents`

Cent is arbitrary? Dollars is the name of the currency not a unit.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:41:50 AM

Bit (uBTC)
Megabit (mBTC)
Gigabit (BTC)

Looks to me like bits would be a wise move, when even long time forum members with 2k+ posts, don't know the metric system..

Bits (uBTC)
KiloBits (mBTC)
MegaBits (BTC)

would be the correct names Smiley

Good catch! For some reason I was thinking it'd be bits, then megabits would be million satoshi (and I have no idea how I came up with that being 0.001 BTC when it'd really be 0.01 BTC if we were talking about satoshi) and gigabit being billion satoshi (which would be 10 BTC if we were talking about satoshi instead of bits). This is what happens when you don't think!

I guess it does bring up a point: we need an easier to understand method to run these.

While I think an arbitrary naming system is somewhat bad, it does help in the sense that it gives a *different* name to each. mBTC, uBTC, etc. are all very much alike. Scraps vs Dust vs Starlight, for example, is clearly different.

Either way this is going to be a complex problem since people are on both sides.

Edit: FWIW, I'm from the US, too. We don't use metric here; we use imperial, :p. You should be happy I even know what metric means!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: