Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:27:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly RSI and PVT (go to FPGA mining)  (Read 2855 times)
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 01:23:24 PM

dont FPGA's hold high resell value?

If you can find a buyer. Some of the FPGA's made for mining may not be suitable for the other applications of them. You would either have to sell to a company which requires approved vendors to purchase equipment (you will not qualify), a student who could get a special deal on a brand new one anyways or a hacker who wants to break WPA protection. If the market were suddenly flooded with FPGAs you would be SOL for trying to sell it. If Bitcoin's encryption were to fail or if there were some fatal event then this is what would happen. I would rather be holding a graphics card than an FPGA long term.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinSpeculator

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 10:09:03 AM

Low prices support FPGA's long term.  Below about $2, no GPU miners are making any money.  3 year ROI is 33% a year.  Show me any other investment with that potential.  FPGA's are going to dominate mining growth from here on.

GPU mining will always be profitable for those in apartments who don't have to pay for electricity. The GPU is easily resold since it is also used for gaming. An FPGA is not so easy to resell and if Bitcoin tanks you are screwed on your invested.

A 3 year ROI is beyond what any business I have ever worked for is willing to risk. ROI is usually 2 or less for corporate investments.

... Free power from your apartment provider is not a sustainable strategy.  You are going to pay a lot more for your apartment, or they are going to kick you out eventually.

FPGA developments move a lot slower than GPU's, my 5830's are worth roughly half of what I bought them for a year ago.  Spartan 6 XL150's will be worth 90% of their current value a year from now.

And obviously you've never worked for a property management company.  ROI on apartment buildings is rarely less than 10 years.  Apple makes tons of technology investments that don't yield results for 10 years.  Ridiculous comment is ridiculous.  Our world is filled with investments with ROI's less than 50%.  The stock market has never yielded a return of 50%.

If you believe Bitcoins are here to stay, FPGA's are the way to go.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 10:12:37 AM

... Free power from your apartment provider is not a sustainable strategy.  You are going to pay a lot more for your apartment, or they are going to kick you out eventually.

FPGA developments move a lot slower than GPU's, my 5830's are worth roughly half of what I bought them for a year ago.  Spartan 6 XL150's will be worth 90% of their current value a year from now.

And obviously you've never worked for a property management company.  ROI on apartment buildings is rarely less than 10 years.  Apple makes tons of technology investments that don't yield results for 10 years.  Ridiculous comment is ridiculous.  Our world is filled with investments with ROI's less than 50%.  The stock market has never yielded a return of 50%.

The difference is those markets don't experience a doubling of efficiency every 18 months.  Also, one could argue that $ generated/MH is subject to high volatility.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bittenbob

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:12:44 PM

Low prices support FPGA's long term.  Below about $2, no GPU miners are making any money.  3 year ROI is 33% a year.  Show me any other investment with that potential.  FPGA's are going to dominate mining growth from here on.

GPU mining will always be profitable for those in apartments who don't have to pay for electricity. The GPU is easily resold since it is also used for gaming. An FPGA is not so easy to resell and if Bitcoin tanks you are screwed on your invested.

A 3 year ROI is beyond what any business I have ever worked for is willing to risk. ROI is usually 2 or less for corporate investments.

Its called the landlord tenant act. My landlord cannot increase my rent more than inflation (they have maxed that out even before I started mining). I also cannot be evicted unless I stop paying my rent. My rent went up 3% this year while my pay hasn't even gone up 1% in 4 years. My landlord is charging less to new tenants than existing ones so I do not feel bad at all about mining. My rig does not draw that much load but if I was running a mining farm that would be a different story.

My experience with 2 year ROI is with every company I have ever worked for and if you think Apple plans to take 10 years to get ROI then you are sorely mistaken. A 10 year ROI from a tech company would be considered an absolute failure. There are many things that have a longer ROI than 2 years but for the most part I can assure you it is not intentional. Property management is a whole different ballgame than mining because for years it was basically guaranteed that the value would increase every year (still has here in Canada). When every company I have worked for demands such a return and refuses to pay more it's no wonder I support the occupy movement. As the other guy said with Bitcoin there is too much volatility to correctly assess ROI on equipment.
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:21:51 PM

Don't forget about factoring in depreciation.  For electricity use, talk to some computer scientist or engineering grad students at a local university.  They may be willing to donate some electricity for use.  They are paying over 50% on their grants to the university anyway.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
CoinSpeculator

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:51:33 PM

Its called the landlord tenant act. My landlord cannot increase my rent more than inflation (they have maxed that out even before I started mining). I also cannot be evicted unless I stop paying my rent. My rent went up 3% this year while my pay hasn't even gone up 1% in 4 years. My landlord is charging less to new tenants than existing ones so I do not feel bad at all about mining. My rig does not draw that much load but if I was running a mining farm that would be a different story.

My experience with 2 year ROI is with every company I have ever worked for and if you think Apple plans to take 10 years to get ROI then you are sorely mistaken. A 10 year ROI from a tech company would be considered an absolute failure. There are many things that have a longer ROI than 2 years but for the most part I can assure you it is not intentional. Property management is a whole different ballgame than mining because for years it was basically guaranteed that the value would increase every year (still has here in Canada). When every company I have worked for demands such a return and refuses to pay more it's no wonder I support the occupy movement. As the other guy said with Bitcoin there is too much volatility to correctly assess ROI on equipment.

I promise, if you set up a server farm they can and will kick you out.  Casually running a few cards may not spark this, but that also means you are a trivial part of the network.

If you haven't gotten a raise in 4 years I don't really see why you have any qualifications to tell others about ROI, you are obviously not providing much value to your company and your opinions are null.  Apple started investing in technology for the Ipad many many years ago.  Their investment has clearly paid off today.
bittenbob

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 09:41:23 PM

I promise, if you set up a server farm they can and will kick you out.  Casually running a few cards may not spark this, but that also means you are a trivial part of the network.

If you haven't gotten a raise in 4 years I don't really see why you have any qualifications to tell others about ROI, you are obviously not providing much value to your company and your opinions are null.  Apple started investing in technology for the Ipad many many years ago.  Their investment has clearly paid off today.

I said if I were to start a server farm it would be different if you had bothered to read. I provide a lot of value to my company but they dont give a shit and wages have been frozen across the board to the "economy". It doesn't matter if I started a division of the company, made a lab and bring in 30k per month profit because they are greedy pricks. Venture capitalists are this way and that is all there is to it. They exploit everyone at every opportunity. You sure are making one hell of an ass out of yourself by trying to insinuate that I must be worthless somehow and that you are better than me. You must be very popular at parties.
CoinSpeculator

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 12:55:29 AM

I said if I were to start a server farm it would be different if you had bothered to read. I provide a lot of value to my company but they dont give a shit and wages have been frozen across the board to the "economy". It doesn't matter if I started a division of the company, made a lab and bring in 30k per month profit because they are greedy pricks. Venture capitalists are this way and that is all there is to it. They exploit everyone at every opportunity. You sure are making one hell of an ass out of yourself by trying to insinuate that I must be worthless somehow and that you are better than me. You must be very popular at parties.

Start your own company.  The world doesn't cater to your every whim.  Venture Capitalist are the only reason you live in a world as advanced as ours.

I wasn't aware that this forum is now called "how to be popular at parties."
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: