Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:15:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where would you prefer the VRC/VRM exchange pair be?
Bittrex
Poloniex
Both
Other

Pages: « 1 ... 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 ... 961 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VRC] VeriCoin Proof of Stake-Time Currency | New Roadmap Released  (Read 1355397 times)
leckey

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:33:19 PM

I stand corrected, veribit and verisend are ran from a Windows server which is even more troublesome running Microsoft-IIS/8.0.

Could probably be explained by the fact that one of the devs is a programmer at Microsoft......

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ringsting

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:33:46 PM

Your centralized services on vericoin.info are woefully insecure.

The debian 6 server running the site has not been hardened, you can login as root over ssh. There are many many more problems but I don't want to divulge too much as it could hurt a lot of people. The developer can send me a message if they want to talk about this in private.

Yea... ok. VeriBit/VeriSend are hosted on a Windows server.

They are not hosted on a windows server, that is not what I said. They are clearly hosted on debian running a legacy version of apache. I would be even more worried if they were actually on a windows server.

Edit: I'm not trying to spread FUD here, this is a very serious concern with how much money is being pumped into this economy. I'm worried about the alt-currency community more than the price of any individual coin. You can see that from my post history.

This is part of the reason I don't understand quite understand the hype around veribit.  People are saying it makes things so much easier, but does it really?  And at what cost?  The cost of security?  As far as I understand, all veribit does is exchange VRC for BTC, like any other altcoin can already do on any exchange.  Except, with veribit, we are trusting VRC's dev team to handle security on their centralized servers.  I am not saying VRC dev's are untrustworthy at all, but I do question whether they are qualified to keep these services secure.  As for me, I would far more trust services like Mintpal to securely hold and exchange my altcoins for BTC to then use and make purchases.

The VeriBit servers don't "hold" your coins for more than 5 minutes. After they receive them and get 4 confirms, they send you your BTC. So the user will never lose. If we have a security flaw (which we are getting audited right now), our pot of BTC could be lost. But I don't think that's a concern since the developer running the server works for the cloud computing division of one of the top software companies in the world... and knows his security.

Saying he works somewhere and saying he knows his security when this is obviously untrue makes me even more skeptical.

There is no reason root login should be enabled on the server, there is no reason password authentication should even be enabled. You should be logging in through keys. I shouldn't have to say this to someone who "knows their security".

Dude, you are embarrassing yourself.  It's obvious that you have a little bit of knowledge but not much.  

You're saying the website is hosted on a nix box that isn't secure.  He is saying the apps aren't hosted on that box, even if the Linux box isn't secure the services aren't even hosted on that machine.
yourstruly

Activity: 308

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 01:34:28 PM

I stand corrected, veribit and verisend are ran from a Windows server which is even more troublesome running Microsoft-IIS/8.0.

Could probably be explained by the fact that one of the devs is a programmer at Microsoft......

Are you saying this like that is a good thing? Because most programmers who know anything would be embarrassed to admit that.

Excoin - Innovative Cryptocurrency Exchange - https://exco.in
pratico

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:34:34 PM

What's up
The hype is not over?
Why the price go up?
Verisend yes Veribit yes but what's coming now?

Hype? What's happening with VRC has not happened ever in Crypto...

If so, reply to this post and name the coin(s).

1. Veribit
2. Verisend
3. Buying BTC via VRC with USD (Soon with a Credit Card) - no more waiting on Coinbase for a week
4. Veribank
5. Awesome, respectable Dev team
6. PR Firm

What coins are you following? We are all ears...

1. All veribit does is exchange VRC for BTC, with a 1 btc cap.  ANY altcoin can currently be exchanged for BTC on ANY exchange, with NO cap.  Also, it is centralized and we are trusting vrc dev team to handle security... this is extremely sketchy.

2. Verisend is centralized and trusted (as opposed to decentralized and trustless).  Anyone using verisend can have no hope to remain anonymous.

3. Buying VRC with a credit card - this option will be provided by a 3rd party vendor that is NOT, I repeat, NOT VRC exclusive.  They will offer the same service for other altcoins.
P0PFrag

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:34:40 PM

Windows servers are exceptionally secure.  Linux has its perks but your average Joe will only run a Linux server for the 1 key point of free.  I manage enterprise windows servers for a living.  You set proper measures and your just as secure if not more secure then any linux box.   The ONLY thing a Linux server has over windows is stability over longevity of up time.
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:35:31 PM

Its analogous to McDonalds in the sense that the pictures on the outside don't represent what is actually being fed to the people on the inside.

. . . . .and there was the exact point your mask slipped.

Now you're just clearly FUDing.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
leckey

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:36:00 PM

Are you saying this like that is a good thing? Because most programmers who know anything would be embarrassed to admit that.

No they wouldn't. Don't be so naive.

yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 01:36:41 PM

Your centralized services on vericoin.info are woefully insecure.

The debian 6 server running the site has not been hardened, you can login as root over ssh. There are many many more problems but I don't want to divulge too much as it could hurt a lot of people. The developer can send me a message if they want to talk about this in private.

Yea... ok. VeriBit/VeriSend are hosted on a Windows server.

They are not hosted on a windows server, that is not what I said. They are clearly hosted on debian running a legacy version of apache. I would be even more worried if they were actually on a windows server.

Edit: I'm not trying to spread FUD here, this is a very serious concern with how much money is being pumped into this economy. I'm worried about the alt-currency community more than the price of any individual coin. You can see that from my post history.

This is part of the reason I don't understand quite understand the hype around veribit.  People are saying it makes things so much easier, but does it really?  And at what cost?  The cost of security?  As far as I understand, all veribit does is exchange VRC for BTC, like any other altcoin can already do on any exchange.  Except, with veribit, we are trusting VRC's dev team to handle security on their centralized servers.  I am not saying VRC dev's are untrustworthy at all, but I do question whether they are qualified to keep these services secure.  As for me, I would far more trust services like Mintpal to securely hold and exchange my altcoins for BTC to then use and make purchases.

The VeriBit servers don't "hold" your coins for more than 5 minutes. After they receive them and get 4 confirms, they send you your BTC. So the user will never lose. If we have a security flaw (which we are getting audited right now), our pot of BTC could be lost. But I don't think that's a concern since the developer running the server works for the cloud computing division of one of the top software companies in the world... and knows his security.

Saying he works somewhere and saying he knows his security when this is obviously untrue makes me even more skeptical.

There is no reason root login should be enabled on the server, there is no reason password authentication should even be enabled. You should be logging in through keys. I shouldn't have to say this to someone who "knows their security".

Dude, you are embarrassing yourself.  It's obvious that you have a little bit of knowledge but not much.  

You're saying the website is hosted on a nix box that isn't secure.  He is saying the apps aren't hosted on that box, even if the Linux box isn't secure the services aren't even hosted on that machine.

You are right, the site hosting the wallets is run on an insecure unix box. The centralized anonymity services and exchange are ran on a insecure windows machine. I don't think I'm the one embarrassing myself. Anyone involved with this project should be embarrassed for running anonymity services on windows.

ringsting

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:37:47 PM

You do realise that Microsoft's enterprise solutions are extremely secure and scalable?  They do more than just i.e.

Please just stop typing, you're making me cringe.
aciddbboy

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:38:29 PM

Hi , im kinda new to the cryptocurrency world so forgive me if my question sounds really stupid .

I just downloaded the vericoin wallet and i have been testing it and faced an issue .

I managed to deposit 0,1 VRC from mintpal to my wallet with no issues at all . Then decided to enchrypt it using a passphrase .

Then i created another adress where i had to type my passphrase . Worked fine .

Today somehow my passphrase does not work , it says incorrect all the time . i assume i fucked it up when i wrote it down .

My wallet is blocked and i cant do anything with it .  I know i lost my 0,1 VTC , i dont really care .  What bothers me is that i dont see how i can create another wallet .

With bitcoin wallets like Multibit is so easy to create new wallets  but with the vericoin wallet i just dont know how can i do it .  I tried to uninstall and install the new wallet version but it will always show up the wallet is locked and lost i assume , since the passphrase does not match .  So what do i have to do in order to create a new wallet where i can send/recive my vericoins?

Can u guys help me out ?  

Thank you very much !

Make sure you go in and clean out that wallet.dat file. That is what holds all your sensative info that makes your wallet unique.

Try to check and clear out that file, and delete / redownload wallet. Report back to me if that doesn't work.

Very smart that you only did a test first. Many people would go for the entire balance and come here with a horror story. My own personal wallet is roughly the same, just 1 VeriCoin for testing Smiley

Thank you very much !

im going to try it out now . I will let you know .
yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 01:38:48 PM

Are you serious? Windows is closed source (we here are an open source community), and often releases products to the market that fail horribly for months before they can manage to release patches to make it usable. It's recent track record has been only getting worse too.

HoodRich

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:38:52 PM

What's up
The hype is not over?
Why the price go up?

1. Veribit
2. Verisend
3. Buying BTC via VRC with USD (Soon with a Credit Card) - no more waiting on Coinbase for a week
4. Veribank
6. PR Firm

VRC on coinbase?
What is Veribank?
I heard some rumors with Microsoft

The Cryptobank...
http://cointelegraph.com/news/111921/vericoin-to-open-cryptobank-pay-interest-to-users-

With Vericoin allowing you to purchase VRC via your wallet, in a sense you are able to buy BTC instantly. For the moment, you cannot do that anywhere, accept at an ATM (one of the few in the world) after giving a palm print, etc... Coinbase makes you  wait 1 week. Even the instant purchase via a credit card is not instant.

yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 01:40:15 PM

You do realise that Microsoft's enterprise solutions are extremely secure and scalable?  They do more than just i.e.

Please just stop typing, you're making me cringe.

I realize microsoft enterprise solutions are not secure, could not provide the claim of anonymity from governments and are not nearly as good as open source alternatives. I know they do more than IE, they fail across many markets with their closed source crap.

yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 01:40:42 PM

What's up
The hype is not over?
Why the price go up?

1. Veribit
2. Verisend
4. Veribank
6. PR Firm

VRC on coinbase?
What is Veribank?

The Cryptobank...
http://cointelegraph.com/news/111921/vericoin-to-open-cryptobank-pay-interest-to-users-

With Vericoin allowing you to purchase VRC via your wallet, in a sense you are able to buy BTC instantly. For the moment, you cannot do that anywhere, accept at an ATM (one of the few in the world) after giving a palm print, etc... Coinbase makes you  wait 1 week. Even the instant purchase via a credit card is not instant.

The bank going to be ran on a windows server too?

tylerderden
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:41:25 PM

not to mention people who are going through a divorce or whatever and don't want to give half of their btc to the ex. I can think of several legitimate ways that anonymous transactions apply in the real world.

Just because you might not want to give half of your assets to an ex, it doesn't hold true that you are entitled to withhold half of your assets from them. Do you know what happens to people who refuse to cooperate with court orders? They get found 'in contempt of court', and liable to anything from a fine upwards to prison time, repeatedly, until they do cooperate.

The same goes for all the bleating about 'der gubmint' coming to 'take away' all that you possess by way of their grossly unfair system known as 'taxation'!!!1!1111111!!! Yes governments are predominantly inefficient bloated organisations that waste a large amount of the income collected from the people, but that does not entitle you to arbitrarily decide that you are going to refuse to pay taxes and, instead, will 'hide' all your monies in anonymous crypto. Did I explain what happens to people who refuse to cooperate with court orders?

If you hate your government and all they represent, do something about it by changing the system from within, not by fucking the rest of us over by your antics costing more expenditure (of tax monies received) and man-hours to deal with.

The US preponderance for paranoid and pot-stirring media pundits does it's people no favours when it comes to getting them to understand that 'The Government' is not the enemy. The enemy is the enemy.

your understand your in a cryptocurrency thread right?
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:45:14 PM

I realize microsoft enterprise solutions are not secure, could not provide the claim of anonymity from governments and are not nearly as good as open source alternatives. I know they do more than IE, they fail across many markets with their closed source crap.

So let me get this right, you came into this thread claiming something that was incorrect, namely, that the VeriBit service was running on a Debian server, only to be corrected on that fact. But now you want to focus, instead, on rubbishing Microsoft products because . . .what exactly?

Throwing a load of 'Microsoft is shit' around the place, doesn't actually support your claims of wanting to be all objective and reasonable about protecting the crypto community.

You do need to actually specify what the technical flaw is that you are implying is putting us all in danger of losing, what exactly, one Bitcoin or less from a VeriBit transaction were the server to be compromised and that is if anything you are saying is even true.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
leckey

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:48:14 PM

Are you serious? Windows is closed source (we here are an open source community), and often releases products to the market that fail horribly for months before they can manage to release patches to make it usable. It's recent track record has been only getting worse too.

Closed source ≠ bad computer scientist
Closed source ≠ embarrassment at working for one of the top tech firms on the planet

Use your brain please.

pnosker

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:48:54 PM

What's up
The hype is not over?
Why the price go up?

1. Veribit
2. Verisend
4. Veribank
6. PR Firm

VRC on coinbase?
What is Veribank?

The Cryptobank...

The bank going to be ran on a windows server too?

I think if you actually cared you would have PMed me by now to discuss your concerns with me. The fact that you haven't... despite replying several times, shows you don't ACTUALLY care about crypto in general but want to FUD VeriCoin. Our IIS server is very secure. You can say all you want but patched MS servers are secure.

Support the VeriFund Endowment.
VRC: VFEndownxxnHea9mv59kZx8c7TysGbndYx
aciddbboy

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:50:13 PM

Hi , im kinda new to the cryptocurrency world so forgive me if my question sounds really stupid .

I just downloaded the vericoin wallet and i have been testing it and faced an issue .

I managed to deposit 0,1 VRC from mintpal to my wallet with no issues at all . Then decided to enchrypt it using a passphrase .

Then i created another adress where i had to type my passphrase . Worked fine .

Today somehow my passphrase does not work , it says incorrect all the time . i assume i fucked it up when i wrote it down .

My wallet is blocked and i cant do anything with it .  I know i lost my 0,1 VTC , i dont really care .  What bothers me is that i dont see how i can create another wallet .

With bitcoin wallets like Multibit is so easy to create new wallets  but with the vericoin wallet i just dont know how can i do it .  I tried to uninstall and install the new wallet version but it will always show up the wallet is locked and lost i assume , since the passphrase does not match .  So what do i have to do in order to create a new wallet where i can send/recive my vericoins?

Can u guys help me out ?  

Thank you very much !

Make sure you go in and clean out that wallet.dat file. That is what holds all your sensative info that makes your wallet unique.

Try to check and clear out that file, and delete / redownload wallet. Report back to me if that doesn't work.

Very smart that you only did a test first. Many people would go for the entire balance and come here with a horror story. My own personal wallet is roughly the same, just 1 VeriCoin for testing Smiley

i might be a bit don but i cant find the file .  I use agent Ransack for searching and nothing shows up Sad
hellyeahent

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:52:10 PM

double top formed hard dump inc   Sad

Coin cant rise more than 600% in 10 days and more than 6000% in month (25 days ago 1 veri = 0,005$ and now 0,30$) its just pump which cant last forever.
Pages: « 1 ... 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 ... 961 »
  Print  

Jump to: