Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:56:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where would you prefer the VRC/VRM exchange pair be?
Bittrex
Poloniex
Both
Other

Pages: « 1 ... 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 [382] 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 ... 961 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VRC] VeriCoin Proof of Stake-Time Currency | New Roadmap Released  (Read 1355397 times)
chunkyjunkie

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 04:30:55 PM

So looks like BTC and LTC was also attempted on the mp security flaw.  Anyone confirm  that yet?

https://www.bitcoinlanding.com - Twitter - https://twitter.com/Bitcoinlanding - Bitcoin News, Video and more!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SkyValeey

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:31:21 PM

so what are we supposed to do? update the wallet? backup the wallet?

get high or get drunk or both  Wink
Fippy

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:33:49 PM

You all can FUD about this all you want, I don't care.

Assuming the devs successfully defend the integrity of VRC with this, then there will be no question as to the long term success of VeriCoin. And on that note, once the exchanges are back all up and running on the same page, I'm going on a buying spree.

You'll think 40k was cheap by the time this is done.

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
┨PRE-SALE  : 25th MAY - 25th JUNE ▌MAIN-SALE: 26th JUNE - 03rd JULY┠
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Telegram Medium Reddit
sdmathis

Activity: 546

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:35:30 PM

So looks like BTC and LTC was also attempted on the mp security flaw.  Anyone confirm  that yet?

Pat confirmed it a little while ago.

alwa1

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:36:14 PM

Time to chill out and quit crypto for today, returning tomorrow when everything will be fine  Wink
Profetu

Activity: 204

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:37:01 PM

Update from MintPal
13/07/2014 4:19 PM Announcements
Please read the entirety of this post.

A few hours ago we were unfortunately the subject of a successful attack against the exchange. Our investigations have shown that whilst our security was breached, VeriCoin was the target. We would like to stress that VeriCoin and the VeriCoin network has not been in any way compromised. We have worked to secure the exchange and the withdraw process from any further attack.

As it stands at the moment the following applies:

1) We lost a considerable amount of VeriCoin in the attack, however we have been working with the VRC developers and all major exchanges to hard fork the coin at a position before the attack. This will allow us to retrieve the stolen coins and facilitate all withdrawals. We are also working with various exchanges to accommodate any losses they may encouter as a result of the required fork.

2) We are currently processing withdrawals for all other coins.

As I'm sure you will appreciate, our support channels will most likely be very busy over the coming hours/days so please bear with us.

We would like to personally extend our thanks to the VeriCoin developers and the other exchanges who have pulled out all of the stops to ensure that your VRC funds are safe.

WHAT??

No. I'm sorry. No. Their security is breached and they are going to hard fork the coin to cover their asses?

Wow. That's... Wow. I had nothing but praise for mintpal before, but this is stunning.

I admit I haven't read past the post I just quoted, but it shocked me enough I had to post this. That's the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

Either that or let the coin die.

Also if they caught it within minutes (even hours) is stupid not to rollback.

Mintpal will pay whatever "damage" was taken in between.
arieq

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:37:04 PM

So, shouldn't everyone dump their VRC to BTC now? Then wouldn't they get all their previously sold coins back after the fork?

And the buyers will lose both their BTC and vericoin after the fork, it's cool, isnt it ?

pnosker

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:38:12 PM

People should take note of this. Not because of the hack, but because of the immediate step-up of the developers to defend the integrity of the coin.

Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe the bar has effectively been raised.

+10
But thing about it widely:

1) Conclusion is that VRC is valuable to 8m /27 *100%  = 30% attacks...not 51%

2) Big hit into decentralization image of VRC "rolbacks" - shows that crypto is not decentralized coin...
So fork BTC before MtGox that way...

51% of staking coins is all that is necessary to attack. Not 51% of all coins.

Support the VeriFund Endowment.
VRC: VFEndownxxnHea9mv59kZx8c7TysGbndYx
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:39:09 PM

Confirmation must come from those who manage these funds (announcement on Mintpal website, or announcement from someone of their staff). Did I miss any piece of news from them?
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:39:43 PM

The MtGox situation was, allegedly, a theft that occurred over many months, there would have been no way to hard fork to recover the funds and, let's be honest, we've yet to see evidence that what Karpeles claims happened is actually the case anyway.

According to Mintpal this attack happened a few hours ago and because VRC is still in its relative infancy it is feasible for hard fork to stop the thieves getting away with the coins.

It's not great, but it is a fix and one that had to be done. It is not a weakness in VRC, it is an issue with Mintpal.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
sdmathis

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:40:14 PM

Confirmation must come from those who manage these funds (announcement on Mintpal website, or announcement from someone of their staff). Did I miss any piece of news from them?

You don't think that the devs are in contact with Mintpal? Pat's word is good enough.

noerc

Activity: 248

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:40:29 PM

You all can FUD about this all you want, I don't care.

Assuming the devs successfully defend the integrity of VRC with this, then there will be no question as to the long term success of VeriCoin. And on that note, once the exchanges are back all up and running on the same page, I'm going on a buying spree.

You'll think 40k was cheap by the time this is done.

Stupid price talk, this is why people consider these projects here as ponzi schemes ... what happens here is a technical and philosophical issue. Nobody puts in question that pnosker and the others are great developers and good people. I would also assume that they have good motivations with this roll back move. But it will be in the history of VRC, forever. Something like this is was credit cards do, on a daily basis, and nobody cares because they are centralized.

But if one guy can trigger the roll back of a blockchain because there is a transaction that some other guy doesn't like, then this is a serious problem. I am confident that Patrick didn't think about that for 5 minutes only, so he will have good reasons to do it and, besides some people here, he has a very good understanding what consequences this has and might have.
yourstruly

Activity: 308

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 04:40:55 PM

Too bad about the hack.  But a rollback will do nothing but cause a loss of faith in this coin.

If the developers can start a rollback, then the blockchain's history is obviously worth nothing...

Dead coin now.  Too bad, so sad.

I believe that this can be summed up as.....NOT.

Is Bitcoin dead because of Mt Gox? It was an exchange. The exchange was weak. Bitcoin was solid. Take note!

The main difference being that Bitcoin did not try to roll back the blockchain to avoid the damage, they took it and moved on.

Excoin - Innovative Cryptocurrency Exchange - https://exco.in
jtbcoins

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:42:07 PM

Vericoin was probably targeted because it can be spent where bitcoin is accepted. Well thats what twitter is talking about. Free advertising Smiley
yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 04:42:12 PM

I personally am very excited by this. I know this may be a scary time for the people who currently have VRC missing, but think of the precedent this is setting!

Never in the history of money has there been the ability to just "Rollback" to a point prior to a theft. This is like if bank robbers got away with 2 million dollars, and the next day the money was back in their vault, while the robbers are now magically holding worthless monopoly money.

This really has the potential to change the way that the world sees crypto - it is a tangible benefit that fiat money will never be able to provide. If it goes off smoothly I have no doubt we'll see this in Forbes at the minimum, since they already are fairly crypto-friendly.

you need to think a bit more:

not only the "robber" is punished, but everyone else who bought coins for BTC/FIAT between the hack/whatever and the time of the rollback, and everybody who sold will still have their coins +  BTC/FIAT.
If you call that a good situation you should not be allowed to handle money at all.

This is without a question a terrible solution, and should not be done.

socal

Activity: 532

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:42:37 PM

LOLOLOL All you dumb FUDsters and Panic Sellers are gonna feed me TONS of cheap VRC as soon as the exchanges unfreeze, I think I may retire with the amount of VRC I'll be able to snatch up, oh and THINK for a min if the hackers targeted VRC there was a REASON, either 1) They know VRC is solid and is going places, 2) They are associated with some other bullshit coin and terrified of VRC and trying to crash it (but the wont) or 3) All of the above.  All I can say to the hackers is haha you stupid bastard nice try better luck next time. and to everyone else TRY NOT TO DUMP HODL AND PRICE WILL REMAIN STABLE DUR DUR DUR I FOR ONE WILL BE BUYING THE HELL OUTTA VRC ONCE ABLE TO!!!!!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
socal

Activity: 532

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:44:46 PM

Too bad about the hack.  But a rollback will do nothing but cause a loss of faith in this coin.

If the developers can start a rollback, then the blockchain's history is obviously worth nothing...

Dead coin now.  Too bad, so sad.

I believe that this can be summed up as.....NOT.

Is Bitcoin dead because of Mt Gox? It was an exchange. The exchange was weak. Bitcoin was solid. Take note!

The main difference being that Bitcoin did not try to roll back the blockchain to avoid the damage, they took it and moved on.

Are you really that fucking stupid? Bitcoin didn't have as many coins jacked as VRC did, seriously all your fucktarded efforts to FUD are getting annoying and nobody here gives a flying fuck about what you have to say because you constantly just talk shit.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
sdmathis

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:44:55 PM

I personally am very excited by this. I know this may be a scary time for the people who currently have VRC missing, but think of the precedent this is setting!

Never in the history of money has there been the ability to just "Rollback" to a point prior to a theft. This is like if bank robbers got away with 2 million dollars, and the next day the money was back in their vault, while the robbers are now magically holding worthless monopoly money.

This really has the potential to change the way that the world sees crypto - it is a tangible benefit that fiat money will never be able to provide. If it goes off smoothly I have no doubt we'll see this in Forbes at the minimum, since they already are fairly crypto-friendly.

not only the "robber" is punished, but everyone else who bought coins for BTC/FIAT between the hack/whatever and the time of the rollback, and everybody who sold will still have their coins +  BTC/FIAT.
If you call that a good situation you should not be allowed to handle money at all.

There are no good solutions. The devs had to choose the lesser of two evils.

yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 04:45:04 PM

Vericoin was probably targeted because it can be spent where bitcoin is accepted. Well thats what twitter is talking about. Free advertising Smiley

Then why not target BTC directly? Also there are many other coins that can be spent where BTC is spent, using Holy Transaction or BcBit or a ton of other services.

yourstruly

thrasher.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 04:46:20 PM

There are no good solutions. The devs had to choose the lesser of two evils.

No they picked the worse of two evils, they just proved this coin is completely centralized crypto and it will screw over countless innocent people.

Pages: « 1 ... 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 [382] 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 ... 961 »
  Print  

Jump to: