Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:45:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where would you prefer the VRC/VRM exchange pair be?
Bittrex
Poloniex
Both
Other

Pages: « 1 ... 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 ... 961 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VRC] VeriCoin Proof of Stake-Time Currency | New Roadmap Released  (Read 1355397 times)
ofp

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:41:41 PM

A detail that few have discussed is the fact that the hackers didn't even try to make money out of the stolen coins. They targeted solely Vericoin @ MP and they were clearly trying to destroy the coin.

Why and when did Vericoin become target of the crypto-criminals?

Why so many crypto-angered-fanatics are coming here to bash the devs who took a stance in favor of the people?

I guess Vericoin's success has angered these people and the more they attack the coin, the stronger it becomes. They had a great shot at MP but, you know what, it was simply not enough.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shinraven

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:01:09 PM

It is not like the developer team decided to hardfork the blockchain for personal gain.

Let's imagine a scenario when the developer team or a government did it for personal gain or political reasons. What would be the consequence?

What would you do if you own that coin?

Would the majority refuse to update the wallet?

Would a group of people to come forth and take over the development of the coin?

This is the nature and beauty of decentralised & open source network.

If you try to dictate and insist what a coin should do or not do, isn't that contradicting?

Maybe you should ask the devs how much vrc they hold? You might be surprised Smiley I don't have more facts than pnosker showed some screenshot of his 500k+ wallet some weeks ago.
That might blur how objective they were just a "tad" Wink

This was of course the true reason to do the rollback, not to lose any profits they have made. This is also the reason why most of VRC holders cheer the rollback. Or have you seen anyone not holding vrc, that would defend the rollback?

I had VRC on mintpal, but I would rather have lost my coins, tried to get MP to reimburse me than having a rollback that goes against everything in crypto

Uhm, if vericoin holders didn't like it, you think you'd see a little more volume and panic?

No, I think you're finding aside from the few that are vocally mad, the majority of normal folks will look at this as a huge step forward.

You spam the thread so hard that you dont take time to read.
Or have you seen anyone not holding vrc, that would defend the rollback?

Yes, you don't have to look back very far. A lot of sensible people agree with the thought, THEFT SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED to anyone in a civilized society.

Ok so it will be easy task for you to link me to some of these neutral non vrc holding ppl that think the rollback was a good idea?

Thank you

I had VRC on mintpal, but I would rather have lost my coins  Really Huh

Yes let's lose all our coins. Whatever you are holding now, let's see how you feel when it is your ass that is hanging out in the wind. Give me a break ! A crime was committed you would rather let someone get away with all your earning & hard work. Not just only you by the way, all other investors will be screwed too. Not to mention a Major exchange would tank too.

I don't know what fantasy world you live in, this won't happen. How much are you willing to lose in the name of this belief ? 1 coin, 1000, 10000 ?  

it is so easy to judge someone who acted to protect his property.  Does a man not have the right to protect himself ?  Whomever stole these coins, did not do this for profit. this was sabotage. aka dirty tactic to cripple a promising coin.

I agree with you, Mintpal and all other exchanges need to be more transparent. They have been less coming with info on what they will do to prevent this.

if crypto is to move into mainstream, there will have to be security measures in place. Exchanges need to provide proof that cold storage is in place. Set a % on how many coins they all can hold at any given point.  

The real lesson to learn from this. Do not leave your coins overnight on ANY exchanges.. period.

CodeHunter

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:06:41 PM

I had VRC on mintpal, but I would rather have lost 8 MILLION, FAILED to get MP to reimburse me than having a rollback that goes against everything in crypto

Grin Roll Eyes

Don't mind him, look at his sig, he's one of those blackcoin aspies.

Shinraven

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:12:27 PM

I had VRC on mintpal, but I would rather have lost 8 MILLION, FAILED to get MP to reimburse me than having a rollback that goes against everything in crypto

Grin Roll Eyes
lol
keshuker

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

aka. dibdab

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:14:01 PM

It is not like the developer team decided to hardfork the blockchain for personal gain.

Let's imagine a scenario when the developer team or a government did it for personal gain or political reasons. What would be the consequence?

Would a group of people to come forth and take over the development of the coin?

If you try to dictate and insist what a coin should do or not do, isn't that contradicting?

Maybe you should ask the devs how much vrc they hold? You might be surprised Smiley I don't have more facts than pnosker showed some screenshot of his 500k+ wallet some weeks ago.

This was of course the true reason to do the rollback, not to lose any profits they have made. This is also the reason why most of VRC holders cheer the rollback. Or have you seen anyone not holding vrc, that would defend the rollback?

I had VRC on mintpal, but I would rather have lost my coins, tried to get MP to reimburse me than having a rollback that goes against everything in crypto

Uhm, if vericoin holders didn't like it, you think you'd see a little more volume and panic?

No, I think you're finding aside from the few that are vocally mad, the majority of normal folks will look at this as a huge step forward.

Yes, you don't have to look back very far. A lot of sensible people agree with the thought, THEFT SHOULD NOT BE REWARDED to anyone in a civilized society.

Ok so it will be easy task for you to link me to some of these neutral non vrc holding ppl that think the rollback was a good idea?

Thank you

Yes let's lose all our coins. Whatever you are holding now, let's see how you feel when it is your ass that is hanging out in the wind. Give me a break ! A crime was committed you would rather let someone get away with all your earning & hard work. Not just only you by the way, all other investors will be screwed too. Not to mention a Major exchange would tank too.

I don't know what fantasy world you live in, this won't happen. How much are you willing to lose in the name of this belief ? 1 coin, 1000, 10000 ?  

it is so easy to judge someone who acted to protect his property.  Does a man not have the right to protect himself ?  Whomever stole these coins, did not do this for profit. this was sabotage. aka dirty tactic to cripple a promising coin.

I agree with you, Mintpal and all other exchanges need to be more transparent. They have been less coming with info on what they will do to prevent this.

if crypto is to move into mainstream, there will have to be security measures in place. Exchanges need to provide proof that cold storage is in place. Set a % on how many coins they all can hold at any given point.  

The real lesson to learn from this. Do not leave your coins overnight on ANY exchanges.. period.

I had only some 3200 VRC on MP so I can understand that the greed would probably blind me too if I had, lets say 500k.

keshuker

aka. dibdab

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:14:54 PM

Grin Roll Eyes

So I was not allowed to own VRC too? Or have an opinion?
buy4crypto

Activity: 434

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 01:19:01 PM

Grin Roll Eyes

Your opinion has worked out well for bitcoin so far. 8 billion dolllar market cap in 4 years. With how potent this technology is, it could be in the TRILLIONS by now if civilized people would accept it.

The fact of the matter is theft is uncivilized. Theft is what took bitcoin off most civilized peoples investment radar. In the coming months and years more civilized investors will come to a choice. Do I invest in Bitcoin / every other crypto and (allow theft) Or do I invest in vericoin (protects theft) You tell me what civilized people would say.

This simple differentiating factor will be what brings VeriCoin to the top of the "alt" scene, and then past BITCOIN in my opinion. Because lets face it, those people championing bitcoin, are not the same people who have the ability to bring the technology mainstream.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
Ed4252

Activity: 204

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:20:46 PM

Why does it say not staking because you don't have mature coins?

when I have spendable coins in my wallet
chunkyjunkie

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 01:21:10 PM

The devs on the hangout couldn't have explained it better.

VRC will come out of this a lot stronger then it was before.

Basically there was one vulnerability in vrc that had nothing to do with vrc and it hit.  Not due to vrc itself but solely to do with a 3rd party and bad habits of crypto users and how they store coins.

Again, going forward, vrc will come out stronger with greater support from people who hadn't previously heard of vrc and never would have.  In a seedy crypto world vrc is probably the one success story for the small investors that have been constantly beaten up over and over.

This hack was probably one of the best things to happen to vrc and at a perfect time. Had this happened when vrc was more mature it would have been a lot more damaging. The few bad habits of the crypto community and exchanges will be a lot better in the future and we already are seeing that with the amount of coins staking!  I also highly doubt mintpal will ever keep a irresponsible amount of coins in any hot wallet again.  Better yet in regards to vrc, with the amount of coins staking in personal wallets, the community is saying we will not give an exchange the chance to.

https://www.bitcoinlanding.com - Twitter - https://twitter.com/Bitcoinlanding - Bitcoin News, Video and more!
keshuker

aka. dibdab

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:22:15 PM

Grin Roll Eyes

Your opinion has worked out well for bitcoin so far. 8 billion dolllar market cap in 4 years. With how potent this technology is, it could be in the TRILLIONS by now if civilized people would accept it.

The fact of the matter is theft is uncivilized. Theft is what took bitcoin off most civilized peoples investment radar. In the coming months and years more civilized investors will come to a choice. Do I invest in Bitcoin / every other crypto and (allow theft) Or do I invest in vericoin (protects theft)

This simple differentiating factor will be what brings VeriCoin to the top of the "alt" scene, and then past BITCOIN in my opinion. Because lets face it, those people championing bitcoin, are not the same people who have the ability to bring this mainstream.

You tell me what civilized people would say.

So are you saying that VRC will protect me again from theft and rollback the blockchain if needed?
buy4crypto

Activity: 434

freecrypto.top

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 01:24:51 PM

Grin Roll Eyes

The fact of the matter is theft is uncivilized. Theft is what took bitcoin off most civilized peoples investment radar. In the coming months and years more civilized investors will come to a choice. Do I invest in Bitcoin / every other crypto and (allow theft) Or do I invest in vericoin (protects theft)

This simple differentiating factor will be what brings VeriCoin to the top of the "alt" scene, and then past BITCOIN in my opinion. Because lets face it, those people championing bitcoin, are not the same people who have the ability to bring this mainstream.

So are you saying that VRC will protect me again from theft and rollback the blockchain if needed?

They said NO, NEVER. You are missing this point. Its the public perception. Those people who have been on the sidelines, and that will now come into crypto viewing vericoin as a safe investment, one that will protect money. As upposed to the headline of gox that made most people think bitcoin was unsafe.

Think about the headlines of GOX. Now, think about the headlines of MP, and not from your view, from a random joes view. They dont care about centralization, most have never heard what it is, They see the big picture, THEFT IS PREVENTED. Where as typical protocol before this event, and to some community still is to let thieves go in the name of decentralization? These people hold bitcoin back from practical uses.

████ - freecrypto.top - btcinfo.top - DIGITAL CURRENCY DIRECTORIES - freeMonero.comfunbtc.xyz  ████
derBruchpilotPro

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:25:16 PM

My Mac Wallet doesn't sync, is there a list of nodes or is this a other know issue?

Cannot find a list on the OP or the website...

NEM/XEM!!!
Shinraven

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:25:34 PM

Thank you

I had only some 3200 VRC on MP so I can understand that the greed would probably blind me too if I had, lets say 500k.

Since you are so giving, willing to lose all, and as you put it, Please give away all your holding, Not just VRC to a faucet, or let us have your keys..since after all, you don't mind.  Roll Eyes  let's us see how really dedicated and willing you are. go on now ~  
btminer8

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:28:07 PM

3200 or 500k it doesn't matter. As far as i am aware, those coins are purchased legitimately from an exchange.

CodeHunter

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:28:15 PM

Basically there was one vulnerability in vrc that had nothing to do with vrc and it hit.  Not due to vrc itself but solely to do with a 3rd party and bad habits of crypto users and how they store coins.

Again, going forward, vrc will come out stronger with greater support from people who hadn't previously heard of vrc and never would have.  In a seedy crypto world vrc is probably the one success story for the small investors that have been constantly beaten up over and over.

This hack was probably one of the best things to happen to vrc and at a perfect time. Had this happened when vrc was more mature it would have been a lot more damaging. The few bad habits of the crypto community and exchanges will be a lot better in the future and we already are seeing that with the amount of coins staking!  I also highly doubt mintpal will ever keep a irresponsible amount of coins in any hot wallet again.  Better yet in regards to vrc, with the amount of coins staking in personal wallets, the community is saying we will not give an exchange the chance to.

Vericoin investors have become so careful now since the incident. And because of that, no other alt coin is as safely away from these exchanges, and therefore as decentralized in containment.

Because of this incident, Vericoin has become stronger than before. The typical ironies of the crypto world.

Shinraven

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:30:23 PM

My Mac Wallet doesn't sync, is there a list of nodes or is this a other know issue?

1) make sure you are using v1.3.3.0 on the mac
2 ) make sure the vericoin.conf file is in the same folder as bootstrap http://www.vericoin.info/downloads/vericoin.conf
3 ) make sure your wallet data is backed up ( Im sure you know that )
4 - remove all files in that folder you place the bootstrap, conf file.

Can take up to 1hr to get back to normal
derBruchpilotPro

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:31:25 PM

I bet you don't care. Most of you don't care. Most people here only care about profits and the coin they baghold.

I have to admit, after all the blackcoin bagholders trolling this thread, I now hate blackcoin, which is a coin I didn't care about before. If blackcoin loses more value than it already has, I would be okay with that. Whereas before I would not.

I'm a blackcoiner too, but I hate this Coin VS Coin fights... (yeah, except about some scamcoins)

No need to hate a coin, just hate the BS-posters...

NEM/XEM!!!
derBruchpilotPro

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:33:37 PM

1) make sure you are using v1.3.3.0 on the mac
2 ) make sure the vericoin.conf file is in the same folder as bootstrap http://www.vericoin.info/downloads/vericoin.conf
3 ) make sure your wallet data is backed up ( Im sure you know that )
4 - remove all files in that folder you place the bootstrap, conf file.

Can take up to 1hr to get back to normal

Thank you, now it finds some network nodes!

NEM/XEM!!!
MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:34:29 PM

Grin Roll Eyes

They said NO, NEVER. You are missing this point. Its the public perception. Those people who have been on the sidelines, and that will now come into crypto viewing vericoin as a safe investment, one that will protect money. As upposed to the headline of gox that made most people think bitcoin was unsafe.

Think about the headlines of GOX. Now, think about the headlines of MP, and not from your view, from a random joes view. They dont care about centralization, most have never heard what it is, They see the big picture, THEFT IS PREVENTED. Where as typical protocol before this event, and to some community still is to let thieves go in the name of decentralization? These people hold bitcoin back from practical uses.

+1

Meanwhile banksters literally get away with Murder, Terrorist & Murderous Drug Lord Money Laundering,
Fomenting War on a Global Scale and collapsing the entire World Economy while raping and pillaging
entire Countries and peoples wealth.
Stolen peoples money from their accounts in CYPRUS and now have Negative Interest Rates.

It might be good to keep things into perspective.

The Hard Fork was CC's Extremely Effective Community Effort to Provide an FDIC type Insurance
AND there will be Innovations to come...

chunkyjunkie

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 01:37:05 PM

Vericoin investors have become so careful now since the incident. And because of that, no other alt coin is as safely away from these exchanges, and therefore as decentralized in containment.

Because of this incident, Vericoin has become stronger than before. The typical ironies of the crypto world.

Exactly my point.  Ironic like you said.

https://www.bitcoinlanding.com - Twitter - https://twitter.com/Bitcoinlanding - Bitcoin News, Video and more!
Pages: « 1 ... 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 ... 961 »
  Print  

Jump to: