Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:32:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where would you prefer the VRC/VRM exchange pair be?
Bittrex
Poloniex
Both
Other

Pages: « 1 ... 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 ... 961 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VRC] VeriCoin Proof of Stake-Time Currency | New Roadmap Released  (Read 1355397 times)
raffern

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:35:37 PM

Yum! Cheap VRC! and you sold into my 15k wall too cheers!  Grin
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:36:55 PM

Is there something wrong with VeriCoin, again?
Ya - nobody will ever trust a blockchain that was rolledback under the circumstances that happened with VRC and MintPal.
libertynow

Activity: 145

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 04:39:04 PM

so tell me.. is this coin being dumped into oblivion? is still there hope for this coin? honest question

Just read the last few pages. Dev's are still here working hard and promoting the coin.  I don't know why it's dumping, but I've been buying all the way down.  I have a small 25k buy wall on Bittrex right now @ 15008 if anyone wants to join me to shore up Bittrex a little bit.

ill join you

Crap, we're taking heavy fire.  Half by wall just got blasted.  Anybody else join us?  Need reinforcements!

Liquid Tech, Asset #17750387231635486778, http://www.liquidtech.info
Taurenchief

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:43:03 PM

There are hard-forks, forks, and blockchain rollbacks (essentially, large blockchain re-organizations).

Hard-forks are performed because there is a bug in the software that needs fixing - a fault in the software itself.
Bitcoin has had a few emergency hard-forks; 2 to be exact.  These are positive changes - they show that the developers and community are on top of things, and capable of fixing the protocol or protocol implementation when necessary.

Forks are when there are two competing blockchains - this is usually a bad thing.  Simple forks are often caused when there are protocol version conflicts, and the longer chain stops getting accepted by a set of nodes, who then branch into their own chain.  Forks are almost always a bad thing.

Blockchain rollbacks and re-orgs happen when someone 51% attacks the network, or for the first time with VRC, when devs decide to force a revert to a previous checkpoint.  Blockchain re-organizations (rollbacks) are VERY BAD.  They show that the network has NO orphan security, and that you very simply should not trust your money on that blockchain.

A fork is not a fork.  Anyone that says that has no idea what they are talking about, and you probably shouldn't believe anything else they claim to know.

Nothing I'm saying is untrue, nor attacking a specific coin.  I would make these statements about any blockchain that was re-organized like VRC was.

It's not FUD if it's true - it's sharing knowledge.  
FUD has become the most ridiculously overused buzz word in this thread.  And it's being used to discredit people who's points cannot otherwise be disproven.  So, please, keep shouting FUD at me... it's obvious you're the only one spreading bullshit when you do so.

After reading your explanation of the fork vs hard fork vs block chain roll back, I recalled the early days of vericoin.
In the first day of mining, at around 1500 blocks, there was a fork (pow stage of vericoin was a fork heaven), the developer used a hard fork to hardfork the block chain to a early block before the fork happens.

I lost about somewhere between 10000 and 12000 coins in that hard fork (I was in the hero pool, the long and main block chain, and the 0feepool was on shorter chain, and in the first day, diff was very very low). At that time, I didn't think much about the hard fork (or we can now call it a rollback). After reading this explanation, that hard fork is just a mistake and should never be done. What the developers should have done is to find the long block chain, and use that right block chain to ask miners go to miner on that chain, rather than rolling it back.

Those forks happened multiple times and i remember it was rolled back multiple times. I was always mining in the hero pool and also lost some coins during those rollbacks.

Now I think it back, the rollback after mintpal hack is not alone(it has been done multiple times before), it has shown the incompetence of the developers, looks like they don't know what they were doing and just do what they want to do, rather than following the right thing in the community.

I don't want to FUD, but I am trying to say the fact. You guys can look at my post history and tell.

Nobody care to reply to my post, except one guy sees what i said as FUD
Anybody want to comment on it?
FryguyUK
Legendary

Activity: 801
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:51:18 PM

There are hard-forks, forks, and blockchain rollbacks (essentially, large blockchain re-organizations).

Hard-forks are performed because there is a bug in the software that needs fixing - a fault in the software itself.
Bitcoin has had a few emergency hard-forks; 2 to be exact.  These are positive changes - they show that the developers and community are on top of things, and capable of fixing the protocol or protocol implementation when necessary.

Forks are when there are two competing blockchains - this is usually a bad thing.  Simple forks are often caused when there are protocol version conflicts, and the longer chain stops getting accepted by a set of nodes, who then branch into their own chain.  Forks are almost always a bad thing.

Blockchain rollbacks and re-orgs happen when someone 51% attacks the network, or for the first time with VRC, when devs decide to force a revert to a previous checkpoint.  Blockchain re-organizations (rollbacks) are VERY BAD.  They show that the network has NO orphan security, and that you very simply should not trust your money on that blockchain.

A fork is not a fork.  Anyone that says that has no idea what they are talking about, and you probably shouldn't believe anything else they claim to know.

Nothing I'm saying is untrue, nor attacking a specific coin.  I would make these statements about any blockchain that was re-organized like VRC was.

FUD has become the most ridiculously overused buzz word in this thread.  And it's being used to discredit people who's points cannot otherwise be disproven.  So, please, keep shouting FUD at me... it's obvious you're the only one spreading bullshit when you do so.

After reading your explanation of the fork vs hard fork vs block chain roll back, I recalled the early days of vericoin.
In the first day of mining, at around 1500 blocks, there was a fork (pow stage of vericoin was a fork heaven), the developer used a hard fork to hardfork the block chain to a early block before the fork happens.

I lost about somewhere between 10000 and 12000 coins in that hard fork (I was in the hero pool, the long and main block chain, and the 0feepool was on shorter chain, and in the first day, diff was very very low). At that time, I didn't think much about the hard fork (or we can now call it a rollback). After reading this explanation, that hard fork is just a mistake and should never be done. What the developers should have done is to find the long block chain, and use that right block chain to ask miners go to miner on that chain, rather than rolling it back.

Those forks happened multiple times and i remember it was rolled back multiple times. I was always mining in the hero pool and also lost some coins during those rollbacks.

Now I think it back, the rollback after mintpal hack is not alone(it has been done multiple times before), it has shown the incompetence of the developers, looks like they don't know what they were doing and just do what they want to do, rather than following the right thing in the community.

I don't want to FUD, but I am trying to say the fact. You guys can look at my post history and tell.

seen these fud names before too many times

P.S it would be incompetent of the devs to do nothing. All these coins are bitcoin tech with new features or other bullcrap, it's the most active and progressive devs that make the worth. Vericoin devs try things and aren't afraid of criticism.
pingdigi

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:53:46 PM

Happy to see the panic building by the price drop. Please continue to dump your Vericoins so I can buy them at bargain prices!

Look, the whole rollback debate is moot. Any coin can do it. To those who spout nonsense like "philosophically it's wrong", you are being naive. Only when it's technically impossible to rollback the blockchain will the problem be solved. Until then we are no better than governments who promise not to print more money, but then do because of political pressure.

Vericoin is the only coin I'm aware of that has all of these features:
  - the developers are public with their identities
  - the coin pays interest when you're saving coins (Staking)
  - truly anonymous transactions (VeriSend)
  - can be sent via SMS to any one of the billions of cellphones on the planet (VeriSMS)
  - can be used wherever BitCoins are accepted (VeriBit)

There are coins that have some of the things on this list, but not all. As other coins try and play catch-up, do you think the devs are going to stand still? No, I don't think so either. This list is going to get longer and longer, and the reasons to hold most other coins fewer and fewer.
phzi

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:55:39 PM

It's definitely not FUD.  This blockchain has evidently been plagued with issues from the start. The MintPal fiasco is just such a huge poor decision that it almost trumps the other bad history of the blockchain.

It's significant to remember that Satoshi's important invention wasn't bitcoin, it was the decentralized trustless blockchain ledger. VRC is like a centralized bitcoin at this point, and a centralized blockchain isn't trustless, so it has almost no value...

You can have all kinds of nifty "features" in your wallet, but if you can't trust the blockchain, then forget it.
sdmathis

Activity: 546

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:56:16 PM

If you're saying that there was a rollback earlier in VeriCoin's history, sorry dude. Never happened. What did happen was that there were a number of forks (as happens to many young coins with heavy mining action) and some people were mining on the wrong fork. This caused them to THINK that they lost money, but they never really had the money in the first place because they were on the wrong fork. There was no early rollback however.

FryguyUK
Legendary

Activity: 801

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:02:34 PM

It's definitely not FUD.  This blockchain has evidently been plagued with issues from the start. The MintPal fiasco is just such a huge poor decision that it almost trumps the other bad history of the blockchain.

It's significant to remember that Satoshi's important invention wasn't bitcoin, it was the decentralized trustless blockchain ledger. VRC is like a centralized bitcoin at this point, and a centralized blockchain isn't trustless, so it has almost no value...

People think it's a poor decision if you didn't have money saved in it. The community is fully backing it, sorry you didn't get cheap coins from a hardcore hacker dump fella, truly sorry.

Saving coins life, prospects, peoples 100s of 1000s $/£, evading money in hands of a notorious person, proof devs act fast and actualy act   >>>>>   "centralized rollback criticism" most other coins have gone through in some form regardless of the fact you have some coins in the top 10 that are centralized from day 1.... bitcoin is becomes more centralized and only then will govs let it be.
brightlight
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:03:42 PM

Sadly an epic dump has happened! So much hopes and work involved! Sorry to all, who got in at much higher price, myself included...

Have a good investments in future!
phzi

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:07:19 PM

People think it's a poor decision if you didn't have money saved in it. The community is fully backing it, sorry you didn't get cheap coins from a hardcore hacker dump fella, truly sorry.

Saving coins life, prospects, peoples 100s of 1000s $/£, evading money in hands of a notorious person, proof devs act fast and actualy act   >>>>>   "centralized rollback criticism" most other coins have gone through in some form regardless of the fact you have some coins in the top 10 that are centralized from day 1.... bitcoin is becomes more centralized and only then will govs let it be.
The community isn't fully backing it - that's just ignorant.  By saying that, you're either lying to yourself or you haven't done any research.  I never would have bought into VRC after the MintPal fiasco either way, and I don't buy coins just to sell them at a profit over a short period...  But, feel free to sling mud around that doesn't exist, it only proves you have nothing of value to contribute.

Most other coins have NOT gone thru anything like VRC did.  How the VRC devs handled the situation was a complete first.  Even the devs said as much; plenty of other high-profile community members (bitcointalk community, not the non-existent "VRC community") have said as much.  Just seems to be a few sore VRC investors saying otherwise.

Bitcoin is becoming more centralized?  You just lost all credibility, buddy, unless you can back that statement up?  Hm?  Is this your own bullshit interpretation of the NY legislation or something?
mayne

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:09:24 PM

what's up with the newest version giving constant network alerts?
barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:14:10 PM

Most people wont care, all businesses will though. Who's going to take a chance and ship a product for cryptcoin when the devs have shown that they're willing to bend over, take it in the ass from mintpal and rollback to bail them out.

Businesses won't even know what a mintpal is. They'll be like "is that a mouth wash or something?"

And when you explain the rollback to your average business, they would have learned that it saved the investors' money. And businesses only care about money, not anti-Bernanke ideology. In fact, they love the fed, they made a fortune thanks to QE.

wrong.. fortune 500 companies like the FED and made a fortune thanks to QE and BB. Small to medium sized business got fucked over.
And as for not knowing what mintpal is or was is possible, but dont delude yourself and think payment processors wont be an integral part of CC's in the future and they will know about the rollback and mintpal (bigbank bailout).

You are so full of shit that the only explanation for the amount of raw, smoking turdish crap you disseminate is that you are somewhat connected to -or simple are- the thief himself.

But merchants, if told about the rollback, would definite applaud since they are GUARANTEED -as the ones affected were- to get their money back. No such guarantee exists in crypto -and, mind you, merchants wants REPEATED and SATISFIED customers, not customer demonstrating at their doors because they got shafted... but what the fuck do you know about vendors or customer, you are just a tool and quite probably a thief-. Vericoin, rolling back to avoid a theft AND protecting both investors and merchants, has set itself apart from the pack of theft and fraud supporting coins  which, by such support, have alienated the crypto world from making inroads into the mass market.

One again setting standards MUCH higher.

Oh and pretending this debacle in price is caused by the rollback is just idiocy, plain and simple. Of which you are a pathetic exponent.
sdmathis

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:16:29 PM

what's up with the newest version giving constant network alerts?

Network alerts is a feature that has been built into the wallet from the beginning. It's being used right now to alert those who have not upgraded their wallets since the fork that it's very important to do so. The entire network receives the alert, so if you've already upgraded, you're fine.

sdmathis

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:19:05 PM

Oh and pretending this debacle in price is caused by the rollback is just idiocy, plain and simple. Of which you are a pathetic exponent.

I agree. If the current price drop had anything to do with the rollback, it would have happened a week ago.

Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 05:22:35 PM

Facts:

1) Price fluctuations happen for every altcoin. There is nothing to panic about. In fact if you go back, Vericoin originally went up close to 0.003, then dropped to 0.001 for a while, before the recent up-trend to 0.005 began. Once again, normal price fluctuations.

2) Vericoin has one of the best Dev teams in the cryptoworld, and they are still communicating regularly with their users.

3) 90% of altcoins die within a month, either because they are a scam, or the devs don't care. Vericoin is still here and shows no signs of disappearing.

4) The devs have shown their faces and actually done things in the real world, not just sitting behind a computer. Once again, this proves they are not scamming anyone and actually want the coin to succeed.

5) There are no negative news to cause the downtrend.

6) The rollback after the Mintpal hack saved the coin. I can't fathom why so many people in here actually argue that the hackers should have gotten away with millions of stolen dollars...

7) The same few users keep posting FUD and trolling this thread. They are either newbie accounts with sub 100 posts, or the same people like phzi and bobsurplus. They do not represent the coin's actual community and certainly do not represent the majority.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
raffern

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:22:47 PM

LOL @ the 15k 5 btc sell wall. The whales are manipulating the price for cheap vrc. Then the next thing that happens is big buys, people buy back in again.. The whales already sold around 45/46k and the stupid ones push the prices back down for the whales to buy again! lol well i just bought more!
barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:24:45 PM

I think the most important and encouraging in the VeriCoin operation is that the devs are still interested in the project and working on adding new features. The price goes up and down, right now is down, but the hard work and the release of usable features will take care of the price increase. This is a legit dev team, as PNosker said they are real people building a real money. This transparency is a very unique attribute in the scam driven alt coin market.

Right now people are upset, but 50-100% price swing happens all the time even with real business operation. In the place Russia where I have been dealing/trading/funding IT, telecom and software companies I had experienced with a few 3000% price drop in the last 25 years, there were dead bodies all over the offices, so this is a very calm environment compared to that one, here is even the crypto-history maker scummer pumper WizRig is alive, so nothing dramatic happened here. Price drops are part of the business, even bitcoin has gone through several swing. Again, the hard work from the devs will take care of the price and the future of the coin still very bright.

Which is very encouraging to me that it seems the Devs are finally working on what really matters, the decentralized app feature. No one cares about VeriBit (why would anyone want it when we can pay with bitcoin, no wonder there is only 6 VeriBit users worldwide), the FIAT feature could be useful for a few people but nothing is innovative nor exciting in the FIAT feature, but a decentralized market place or exchange could be a game changer. Please focus on that and try to roll out at least a basic app that implements decentralized features. As you know there are incredible capable and smart people working on decentralized apps, Ethereum, Skycoin, even ViaCoin with the Counterparty inegration, etc., so the competition is fierce, that's why would be important that the Devs try to release at least a very basic but working decentralized app as soon as it is possible. As you know better than I do you compete with very smart guys like Dr. Wood from Ethereum http://www.gavwood.com/Paper.pdf , but if you have something that works (even if it is a very basic app) you can be the winner in this race.

There are many people like myself who invested a lot into VeriCoin, we are not overly worry about short term price changes and willing to invest lot more if things are going in the right direction. Please implement the decentralized feature and I guaranty you many more investment will come not from pumpers but from real investors.

That is a terrible mistake for nothing can lose more than 100%. That's tops.

You would understand that reading your post after that would be a waste of time, wouldn't you?
raffern

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:27:26 PM

barabbas
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

BTC Had a rollback in 2010 and look at it now, please people do not listen to the FUD Bobsurplus is spewing all over the forum. If you have concerns please post on Veritalk.info and get real anwsers if you would like to continue watching the FUD entertainment then please stay, I think I heard somewhere that FUD is sometimes good for a coin.. any thoughts ?
This is such bullshit...  You cannot compare the hard-fork that bitcoin devs and miners initiated to fix a PROTOCOL FLAW back in 2010 with VeriCoin dev's decision to bail out an exchange.

God...  some people are just so ignorant it's sad.   It's not FUD if it's true - it's a warning.

The community that fought for their coin and fought against the theft of $2 million dollars worth of investors money.

Hmmmm.....
You mean the community that was stupid enough to have 30% of a coin on one exchange? 
Rather than MintPal pay everyone back, they leaned on the devs to rollback the chain.  It is disgraceful that the devs even considered it - period.

They didn't do it to bail out an exchange. That was a symptom of the rollback, designed to save the coin from certain death. 7.5mill staking at time of attack vs 8 million stolen. Coin is dead if they don't roll back. There is an argument to "let it die then" on philosophical grounds, but they made the only decision possible for a coin with a $6million economy at the time.

So if you and your friends want to "spread the truth about vericoin" or whatever reason you choose to believe to validate you posting here every 2 minutes - spread the one I've just explained to you.

He is not interested in the truth. It doesn't serve his agenda at all.
Pages: « 1 ... 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 ... 961 »
  Print  

Jump to: