Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:53:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2.8 btc transaction fee paid, help please. Final update: REFUNDED by GHash.IO!  (Read 10195 times)
btcxchg (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:38:14 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 05:52:06 PM by btcxchg

Hi community,
I have made the worst mistake of my life and I am here asking for help of any kind.

A couple of hours ago I was selling 2.8 bitcoins to a guy and made the mistake in the blockchain.info wallet of fill the fields of bitcoins amount and transaction fee inverted. The result is a transaction of 0.0003 btcs with a fee of 2.8 btcs.

This is the transaction:
https://blockchain.info/es/tx/80477c3a1129cb81bc783d483999b0fa307c3f3398ce5b783475eac36b3bb0e0

GHash.IO found that block, I have the hope they could understand the situation and help me returning some bitcoins.

Those where the savings for live a couple of months.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:43:17 PM

I thought the latest Bitcoin update had a fix to disallow such huge fees. Hope you get them back.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:51:16 PM

Hi community,
I have made the worst mistake of my life and I am here asking for help of any kind.

A couple of hours ago I was selling 2.8 bitcoins to a guy and made the mistake in the blockchain.info wallet of fill the fields of bitcoins amount and transaction fee inverted. The result is a transaction of 0.0003 btcs with a fee of 2.8 btcs.

This is the transaction:
https://blockchain.info/es/tx/80477c3a1129cb81bc783d483999b0fa307c3f3398ce5b783475eac36b3bb0e0

GHash.IO found that block, I have the hope they could understand the situation and help me returning some bitcoins.

Those where the savings for live a couple of months.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot

The only thing you can do is contact GHash.IO and hope that the pool operator is willing to help you.

There are no other suggestions possible.

Good luck.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:54:09 PM

I thought the latest Bitcoin update had a fix to disallow such huge fees. Hope you get them back.

I believe the Bitcoin Core reference client might have been changed so that it wouldn't allow you to create transactions like that.  However, he wasn't using Bitcoin Core.  He was using blockchain.info.

There is nothing that prevents peers from relaying such a transaction or miners from confirming such a transaction if you use a service that allows you to make the mistake.

People should probably contact blockchain.info support and ask them to implement a safety feature to prevent such mistakes ASAP.

If enough people contact them and demand such a feature, I suspect they will implement it pretty quickly.  It doesn't seem to be a very difficult thing to do.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:57:31 PM

I think Gash should do the right thing and return your coins.

This is an opportunity for them to look good (or bad).

btcxchg (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 05:02:19 PM

Thanks!

I submitted a ticket to them pointing to this thread.

I will inform here about any update.
btcxchg (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 05:10:54 PM

I believe the Bitcoin Core reference client might have been changed so that it wouldn't allow you to create transactions like that.  However, he wasn't using Bitcoin Core.  He was using blockchain.info.

There is nothing that prevents peers from relaying such a transaction or miners from confirming such a transaction if you use a service that allows you to make the mistake.

People should probably contact blockchain.info support and ask them to implement a safety feature to prevent such mistakes ASAP.

If enough people contact them and demand such a feature, I suspect they will implement it pretty quickly.  It doesn't seem to be a very difficult thing to do.

What I saw at the transaction confirmation step in blockchain.info was a warning popup noticing about the big transaction fee amount. The first time it appears I was paying a transaction fee of 0.0005 btc, so when I saw that popup I reduced to 0.0003. It appears again and submitted the transaction anyway thinking it was very strange and don't analyzing the situation a lot cause I was hurry.
I will contact them to inform this.

Thanks

ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 05:14:08 PM

What I saw at the transaction confirmation step in blockchain.info was a warning popup noticing about the big transaction fee amount. The first time it appears I was paying a transaction fee of 0.0005 btc, so when I saw that popup I reduced to 0.0003. It appears again and submitted the transaction anyway thinking it was very strange and don't analyzing the situation a lot cause I was hurry.
I will contact them to inform this.

Thanks

It's a strange circumstance, and I hope you get your coins back! I do agree that it's a bit weird that you could even do that, but I guess making limitations would be worse.

Be thankful a large pool found it so that you can still ask them.
thecoinjournal

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 05:29:17 PM

There's chance you can get back your coins, I remember someone paid 20ish bitcoins as tx fee, and was included in a block found by p2p pool.

Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:05:21 PM

I do think that you have an extremely good chance of getting your tx fee back Smiley Made the same mistake, and the same pool refunded me.
btcxchg (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:09:34 PM

I do think that you have an extremely good chance of getting your tx fee back Smiley Made the same mistake, and the same pool refunded me.

What a good news!

Now the ticket was forwarded to the CEX.IO supervisor.
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:21:56 PM

What a good news!

Now the ticket was forwarded to the CEX.IO supervisor.

Forwarded up the chain, pretty awesome.

I'm curious to see their reaction.

niktitan132
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:27:15 PM

I hope you will get the BTC back.  Smiley
And be more careful next time!
FFrost

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 06:44:23 PM

There shouldn't be any problems since no one really pays that much in transaction fees  Wink
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:26:32 PM

There shouldn't be any problems since no one really pays that much in transaction fees  Wink
The problem's that it can't be legitimately collected by GHash. They can't just take away their clients' funds, so they have to pay out of pocket if the OP or GHash can't successfully petition users to refund the fee. It's a bad situation because either the OP's a victim of himself or GHash is a martyr -- or, the OP accepts a partial refund from GHash miners who happened to stumble across (or were directed to) the news and were kind enough to figure out and return their share of the fee.
eatingtic

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:31:11 PM

wait 2.8 btc in fee?

Thats so wrong... wtf..

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:40:26 PM

The problem's that it can't be legitimately collected by GHash. They can't just take away their clients' funds, so they have to pay out of pocket if the OP or GHash can't successfully petition users to refund the fee. It's a bad situation because either the OP's a victim of himself or GHash is a martyr -- or, the OP accepts a partial refund from GHash miners who happened to stumble across (or were directed to) the news and were kind enough to figure out and return their share of the fee.

Well im sure they have something in their terms of service giving them certain discretions.
Besides, they are not "taking away" their clients funds -- that extra 2.8 coins shouldnt
have been in there to begin with.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:42:41 PM

They have done it in the past on more than one occasion.  They may have changed their policy, all the OP can really do is ask them.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:44:28 PM

Well im sure they have something in their terms of service giving them certain discretions.
Besides, they are not "taking away" their clients funds -- that extra 2.8 coins shouldnt
have been in there to begin with.

Yes, they are, since mining fees are paid out to miners on Ghash, so yes, they would be taking their money.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:47:42 PM

Yes, they are, since mining fees are paid out to miners on Ghash, so yes, they would be taking their money.

There's a lot of room for debate on that one.

Would GHash be taking money that belongs to the miners to pay back btcxchg?

Or would the miners be taking money that belongs to btcxchg if GHash pays them with these funds?

On the one hand you could say that once it is sent, it belongs to the receiver regardless of intent.

On the other hand, some could argue that an accidental payment to an unintended recipient carries a moral, ethical (and possibly? legal) requirement to return the payment to the sender.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: