Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:43:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-05-09] The Market Oracle: Bitcoin Price Up Move Might Be Less Bullish Than  (Read 810 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 05:39:07 PM

Bitcoin Price Up Move Might Be Less Bullish Than You Think

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article45531.html

Bitcoin is sometimes viewed as a highly disruptive innovation with the potential to change the payment system. While it surely provides a lot of opportunities, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it will cut the banks out of the system. Bloomberg posted a piece yesterday in which it argues that the very banks that would feel any kind of threat from Bitcoin are currently studying the innovative nature of Bitcoin to possibly come up with their own kinds of seamless payment systems:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:29:14 PM

First, the article doesn't live up to the tagline - there is no long-term trend discussion, just Daily trend analysis.

Second, the point that banks are "studying Bitcoin" somehow casually implies that they'll come up with their own game-changing competitor/alternative is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure the movie studios and the RIAA/MPAA have "studied bittorrent" and wanted to compete, but so far haven't come up with any idea that could prevent the bleeding from their decades-old distribution systems being trumped by decentralized technologies.

The same with Bitcoin. Even if banks manage in some capacity to internalize the concept for some tokenized transfer system, it doesn't do anything about the external threat to their business of simply being a middle-man to transactions. If they can't be flexible enough to compete, and given the extremely low fee-structure of Bitcoin it seems highly unlikely, they'll have to make some rather hard and painful choices about the types of business they involve themselves in.

In short, Bitcoin is competition, it isn't going away, and banks can study it all they want - in the end all that matters is if they learn anything from it. Personally I doubt they'll have the foresight to adapt, and most likely will flounder in indecision until the segments of their business that relies on transferring money start to push into the red enough for them to contemplate drastic defensive measures.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:47:49 PM

First, the article doesn't live up to the tagline - there is no long-term trend discussion, just Daily trend analysis.

Second, the point that banks are "studying Bitcoin" somehow casually implies that they'll come up with their own game-changing competitor/alternative is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure the movie studios and the RIAA/MPAA have "studied bittorrent" and wanted to compete, but so far haven't come up with any idea that could prevent the bleeding from their decades-old distribution systems being trumped by decentralized technologies.

The same with Bitcoin. Even if banks manage in some capacity to internalize the concept for some tokenized transfer system, it doesn't do anything about the external threat to their business of simply being a middle-man to transactions. If they can't be flexible enough to compete, and given the extremely low fee-structure of Bitcoin it seems highly unlikely, they'll have to make some rather hard and painful choices about the types of business they involve themselves in.

In short, Bitcoin is competition, it isn't going away, and banks can study it all they want - in the end all that matters is if they learn anything from it. Personally I doubt they'll have the foresight to adapt, and most likely will flounder in indecision until the segments of their business that relies on transferring money start to push into the red enough for them to contemplate drastic defensive measures.

And then banks become obselete. Because
People and campony's no longer need to exchange
And the same with tax supernational offshore exchanges
Will always be there.
Its like the old bbs system it stil exsist but is no longer the defacto
Standard.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:24:23 PM

Will always be there.
Standard.

Perhaps try that again with actual grammar structure and coherent thought. If you're going to be *THAT* lazy typing a reply, don't bother doing it at all...

notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:55:54 PM

Will always be there.
Standard.

Perhaps try that again with actual grammar structure and coherent thought. If you're going to be *THAT* lazy typing a reply, don't bother doing it at all...

It was  written from a phone Smiley what I said is basicly , banks will be replaced like the horses smith is replaced in the 20th century.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:03:42 AM

It was  written from a phone Smiley what I said is basicly , banks will be replaced like the horses smith is replaced in the 20th century.

Well... if banks don't want to die out, then they will have to integrate revolutionary and innovative new ideas such as Bitcoin and improve their reputation in front of the general public.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 05:38:42 PM

I have a full keyboard on my phone, and it doesn't prevent me from typing complete thoughts. I find that excuse to be rather lazy. I get your point about technology replacing older things, though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: