Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:35:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone received funds from bitcoinica recently?  (Read 2693 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:43:28 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2012, 08:16:17 AM by zby

My withdrawal has been 'pending approval' for 2 days - it seems that Zhou does not approve withdrawing money from bitcoinica.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
antoineph

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:47:05 AM

cancel it and try again. that worked for me the one time i used bitcoinica.

i don't know though.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 01:07:17 PM

I've pulled BTC out.

I had to use bitcoin-based withdrawl rather than MTGOX code though.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 01:29:33 PM

I've pulled BTC out.

I had to use bitcoin-based withdrawl rather than MTGOX code though.

Did it go through the 'approval' stage as well?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:13:05 PM

as long as the * is up, no one gets USD's  Grin
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:49:54 PM

Shocked !!! That's not how it's supposed to work, is it?

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:55:13 PM

Yeah - that would mean mixing client funds with company funds (MF Global anyone).  Not that this would be especially shocking after mybitcoin.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 05:15:20 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2012, 05:40:51 PM by Bigpiggy01

What do you expect from a 17 year old running a bucket shop from Singapore.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that CITI had seized or cancelled his account or something similar as they've been very publicly anti bitcoin both with Th and at that show late last fall or was it early winter where Donald Norman debated them.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 05:32:38 PM

as long as the * is up, no one gets USD's  Grin

that IS how it works.  the * on the ask price (BUY button) means all USD reserves have been depleted and used to buy Bitcoins on mtgox.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 05:43:22 PM

as long as the * is up, no one gets USD's  Grin

that IS how it works.  the * on the ask price (BUY button) means all USD reserves have been depleted and used to buy Bitcoins on mtgox.

Reserve does not mean client money - but yeah - on this wild west this should not be a big surprise.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 05:56:15 PM

look at it from Z's perspective

folks are screaming to be allowed to go long on margin

and screaming for instant access to their fiat

whats he supposed to poop USD out his ass??

I do not use his service, though the show is amusing, but there is no real indication I have seen that he is a bad actor or is ripping anyone off.

You play in the bucket shop and they get low on funds?  Cross your fingers and hope they do not fold up altogether.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:05:43 PM

I do not use his service, though the show is amusing, but there is no real indication I have seen that he is a bad actor or is ripping anyone off.

You play in the bucket shop and they get low on funds?  Cross your fingers and hope they do not fold up altogether.

I remember him claiming many times, in this forum, that bitcoinica is not a bucket shop, but yeah - why should I believe that?
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:15:43 PM

just to clarify, I do not use the term disparagingly

I believe there is a place in a free market for bitcoinica's services, I see no indication as yet that Z is operating counter to his client's interests...though that danger is always present

the simple fact that some orders are settled internally without any formal transactions in the underlying makes it a bucket shop under US law, which is fine with me, people are assumed to be adults and nation states and their antiquated legal structures are obsolete

it is a brave new world, all the warning labels and safety restraints have been removed, have fun, play at your own risk

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 06:16:07 PM

I remember him claiming many times, in this forum, that bitcoinica is not a bucket shop, but yeah - why should I believe that?

If Bitcoinica is a bucket shop then you'll not see the asterisk and instead we let you buy whatever you want and then dump coins in the market to force liquidate you and pocket all your money.

This is not what it happened. So we are not a bucket shop.

There's no better way to prove it either. We have already disclosed the daily hedging volume.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 06:22:08 PM

Fair enough. But what of the OP's question, then? Is there any particular situation currently in play that's preventing payouts? Surely settled client USD aren't counted as part of the reserve...

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:22:50 PM

If Bitcoinica is a bucket shop then you'll not see the asterisk and instead we let you buy whatever you want and then dump coins in the market to force liquidate you and pocket all your money.

This is not what it happened. So we are not a bucket shop.

There's no better way to prove it either. We have already disclosed the daily hedging volume.

That's nice (you could also reveal al transactions like MtGox - but this is just a side note).   The more important question is - what is the problem with withdrawals!?  Why you don't approve them?   Is that related to MtGox limits?  Or you have mixed client funds with company reserves?
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 06:23:25 PM

Fair enough. But what of the OP's question, then? Is there any particular situation currently in play that's preventing payouts? Surely settled client USD aren't counted as part of the reserve...

Mt. Gox withdrawal limit is the only thing right now. Bitcoin withdrawals have always been fine.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:28:04 PM

OK.  I have some BTC bought on leverage - plus the pending withdrawal.  Assuming that my marging should cover the BTC at the current price without leverage - how could I withdraw the BTC instead of USD?
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 06:36:16 PM

(you could also reveal al transactions like MtGox - but this is just a side note)
My impression was that this would greatly increase the danger of squeezes, since anyone could calculate how much money a squeeze would cost them.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:37:58 PM

(you could also reveal al transactions like MtGox - but this is just a side note)
My impression was that this would greatly increase the danger of squeezes, since anyone could calculate how much money a squeeze would cost them.

bingo

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: