Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:44:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: lool just when i was starting to love bitcoins  (Read 1547 times)
prolinx (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:51:21 PM

i bought 4 bitcoins last month and decided to be a spartan  Roll Eyes  i come home after my afternoon class on tuesday and see my iphone dock my bloody guitar and  my laptop are all gone, guess which one i'm crying over.....not the iphone dock thats for sure, i hope the asshole who has my laptop sells it at a pawnshop around here...........yeah dont keep your bitcoins on your computer, just use a offline storage or a brain wallet #fml

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 12:05:40 AM

Do you not have any backups? I tend to follow the IT adage "if you have one copy, you have nothing; if you have two copies, you have one". It makes things like this far easier to recover from.

I currently make nightly backups to a second internal drive, and copy a disk image from that backup to a drive sitting in a safety-deposit box in a bank every once in a while (though it's been a while, and I should do that more often). Online backups and cloud storage are good too, so long as you encrypt everything sensitive (such as a bitcoin wallet) before it leaves your computer.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 02:31:17 AM

Paper wallets created offline for the bulk of your holdings
Small amounts in online wallets backed by 2 FA

Propulsion

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 04:56:51 AM

Even easier would be the encrypted wallet on a usb stick. 
batmanbad

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:42:13 AM

You didnt do a back up at all? I would of uploaded the balance on another usb stick or something, if its that much.

Esp 4 btc..
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 07:42:09 AM

i bought 4 bitcoins last month and decided to be a spartan  Roll Eyes  i come home after my afternoon class on tuesday and see my iphone dock my bloody guitar and  my laptop are all gone, guess which one i'm crying over.....not the iphone dock thats for sure, i hope the asshole who has my laptop sells it at a pawnshop around here...........yeah dont keep your bitcoins on your computer, just use a offline storage or a brain wallet #fml

Sorry for your loss.
You should have made a few backups (encrypted with good long password) and put them in different places, say one in USB, one in computer, one on dropbox, etc.

Mightycoin

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 08:27:08 AM

I feel sorry for you, 4 bitcoins isn't a disaster but yes It's about $2000 so It's a good pile of money. Hope you'll get your laptop back. And I sure there is ways to find out where your laptop Is when It gets another internet connection but It's probably not worth It for $2000.
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 09:46:56 AM

Your main problem is you didn't do any backup. You can do backup on dropbox email and many other places. So it has nothing to do with offline storage or a brain wallet Smiley

mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 10:31:12 AM

I think people don't understand the importance of wallet, you have your money there for gods sake. I've backed up my wallet on my usb and have the file on my phone. just in case. Everyone who didn't bac up their wallet I suggest you do it asap.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

oureptsC

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 11:26:57 AM

Sad that you didn't keep the private keys on a flash or something  Cry you might find it in a pawn shop.

prolinx (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 03:17:23 PM

Sad that you didn't keep the private keys on a flash or something  Cry you might find it in a pawn shop.
yeah at least now i know alot more about bitcoins then i did before loool
batmanbad

Activity: 270

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:07:45 PM

I think people don't understand the importance of wallet, you have your money there for gods sake. I've backed up my wallet on my usb and have the file on my phone. just in case. Everyone who didn't bac up their wallet I suggest you do it asap.

So what happens if they didnt do a back up, and their computer crashes.

Is that bitcoin lost forever?
Dare

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 12:03:17 AM

So what happens if they didnt do a back up, and their computer crashes.

Is that bitcoin lost forever?

Unless it can be recovered with a drive recovery tool or service, then effectively yes. That's why backups are so important.

How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Harlbatr

Activity: 34

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:56:05 AM

You can never learn to do backup until you actually lose something, so better late than never.
Dare

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 11:05:40 PM

You can never learn to do backup until you actually lose something, so better late than never.

One more note on this; backups aren't backups until they've been tested. If you back up to an external hard drive every day and find out a year later that nothing actually got written to it because your backup software was turned off by someone else, the drive was unplugged, the drive appeared to work but never actually saved the data to the disk, etc., you have nothing. Regularly tested backups are important, not just backups in general.

This isn't as critical for basic stuff like miscellaneous old files, but for bitcoin wallets, work projects and the like it's a good idea to check on it every once in a while to make sure it's still working properly. On the other hand, I lost my old bitcoin wallet (and every trace of the address, I don't think I had much if any in there but I'm not certain and I can't find it to check) from a few years ago when deleting an old backup that I didn't think I needed anymore, so you may want to hang on the the other stuff too. Storage is cheap, ~$100 every year or two is worth it to make sure you never lose anything that you might want later.

How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
JDLundy87

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:35:47 AM

I use an online wallet, but keep backups of the export file on both of my computers and in my Google Drive (not public, of course). This seems to work for me, but would love any feedback as to whether storing on Google Drive is a good idea.
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:44:03 AM

Sad to hear, I use an online wallet nowadays to store my btc (blockchain.info) they haven't given me a single reason not to trust them and I really think they will keep on being one of the biggest online wallets there is out there.
lda1000

Activity: 581
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:33:09 PM

Encrypt your wallet in the future. Try using keepassx for storing passwords. Then make backups.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:44:33 PM

if you fail at backuping, at least put your coins in a desktop computer that can't be more easily lost or stolen, like mobile devices are
OleOle

Activity: 532

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:32:43 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Bitcoins are always getting lost or stolen, this forum is built on tales of theft, swindles, hacks and dubious investments.

Although it's not great news, in a rather ironic way, you're now a fully-fledged member of the community.

Undecided

devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:28:18 PM

Paper wallets created offline for the bulk of your holdings
Small amounts in online wallets backed by 2 FA

Paper wallets created offline with BIP38 Encryption.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:56:42 PM

it's important to know how to safely store your assets before even buying the bitcoins itself. i don't know how you could be comfortable with knowing that your bitcoin is sitting in only one location; nothing in life is guaranteed.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:23:42 PM

Sorry to hear your money got stolen. How much did you lose?

You may be able to get it back. There is tons of tracking software on the web. If the thief uses Google, Facebook, Gmail, Youtube or others using your actual software they actually know where and who you are. Maybe you have friends there who could look it up for you  Smiley You mentioned iphone dock.. did it include the iphone?  If so : the iPhone has spyware which transmits lots of data all the time - even if it is off. So the phone company / NSA / CIA actually knows where your phone (and thief) is.

In the future make copies of your wallet.

Shogen
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 10:14:59 PM

Sorry to hear the loss. It is definitely painful to lose 4 btc. Sad
It is very important to not only encrypt your wallet but also make multiple backups.
And even for offline wallet or paper wallet, you should still make backups...

gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:10:44 AM

What I have is a wallet backup on 2 computers, a USB and a paper wallet.

thats 4 Backups.

Sorry to hear bro!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: