Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:23:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion-Bitcoin fundraiser tools/methods  (Read 2066 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 06:16:44 PM

I've got a suggestion.You know when charities and people try to raise money for either good causes or for other things like kick starting projects (reminds me of kickstarter.com)? The issues that always seems to get in the way is all the bank details and personal details that seem to be required just for handling transactions.I would like someone to be able to create a version of this where:
1.It's easy to accept bitcoins
2.Feature a fund raiser gauge (to show the target and what is currently raised so far,helps people gauge their efforts)
3.Easy to embed into most websites (HTML as wordpress.com is a pain about certain forms of coding)

If such a solution already exists or if someone is working on it,can it be mentioned here? Thanks.I feel it's high time that BTC are used in more traditional situations like fundraisers (as I think charities and other people will benefit from this).

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 08:14:48 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 12:42:34 AM by Stephen Gornick

I've got a suggestion.You know when charities and people try to raise money for either good causes or for other things like kick starting projects (reminds me of kickstarter.com)? The issues that always seems to get in the way is all the bank details and personal details that seem to be required just for handling transactions.I would like someone to be able to create a version of this where:
1.It's easy to accept bitcoins
2.Feature a fund raiser gauge (to show the target and what is currently raised so far,helps people gauge their efforts)
3.Easy to embed into most websites (HTML as wordpress.com is a pain about certain forms of coding)

If such a solution already exists or if someone is working on it,can it be mentioned here? Thanks.I feel it's high time that BTC are used in more traditional situations like fundraisers (as I think charities and other people will benefit from this).

Bit-Pay specifically provides a service for charities -- with no fees for those in the U.S. which are on the IRS's Pub 78 list:
 - http://bit-pay.com/forCharities.html

There is a service that will convert bitcoin donations to fiat and forward those donations on to the charity, though that is run anonymously apparently which, to some, raises a caution flag:
 - http://www.bitcoin-charity.com

There are a number of donation-accepting organizations already:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Donation-accepting_organizations_and_projects

I'm not aware of any embeddable widget that anyone has created yet to assist with this.  For those organizations which have a static Bitcoin address such a widget and host service would be fairly easy to create may use the widget here:
  http://ecdsa.org:8080/widgets

Accepting bitcoin using a static address is not the wisest thing for a charity though. For instance, suppose the person holding the wallet for a charity leaves the organization and the charity wishes to change the address.  There could be donations that would continue going to the old address -- especially if the old address appeared on printed material or the address on the updates aren't timely on the various web sites where that address appears.  In other words, charities that wish to accept bitcoin should either incorporate it in their ecommerce system or use an intermediary like Bit-Pay.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 09:18:51 PM

That solution looks good Stephen.Can you help me embed it to my blog please? I need the code to make it happen.Find me a code that works with wordpress.com blogs.If nothing works,I'll embed it on another site I own that will usually work.

Keep up the good work. :-)

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 11:37:48 PM

More info.I mainly intend to run a fundraiser for a film project like those on kickstarter.com e.t.c as I really wish to get something out of BTC to help me produce a film without too much hassle as mining and other orms of getting BTC hasn't worked for me.I want to sell digital goods on these forums as none of the shopping cart options work the way I want them to and I don't wish to waste anymore time with unsuitable solutions.How to sell e-Goods on these forums.I once saw a guy who sold stock photos through the market place on here.

I joined BTC expecting to get something out of it and to help with my filmwork but so far I haven't been able to succeed other than mining.I wish to learn how people can be successful with BTC and trading as well as fundraising.

Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 11:39:18 PM

I do believe PirateMyFilm, Max Keiser's little pet project is attempting to do this.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 11:40:24 PM

I do believe PirateMyFilm, Max Keiser's little pet project is attempting to do this.

How does piratemyfilm work? What does it do exactly? Is it a solution to my issue?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 01:51:28 AM

I need the code to make it happen.Find me a code that works with wordpress.com blogs.

I don't know any reason this wouldn't work on a Wordpress site.  Here's a simplified example:
 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/696520/x.html

You can either View Source in your browser, or access it here:
 - https://gist.github.com/03a81770123ec4e9a7cc

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 02:01:27 AM

How does piratemyfilm work? What does it do exactly? Is it a solution to my issue?

PirateMyFilm projects are under the Creative Commons model.  So if you get funds pledged from your fans and the PirateMyFilm community you then produce and release the film to the public.  The funds pledged are not sent as bitcoins though.  PirateMyFilm's terms specificially read: "The project owner links a paypal email address to the project. This will be the address that all payments will go to."

If you have digital content that you would like to sell on your site, consider using StrongCoin's micropayments offering.

Here are examples:
- http://strongdemo.herokuapp.com/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 10:00:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.I've now managed to test the widgets steven.They work like a charm.I need someone to send a very small amount of BTC to test that I can recieve the payment and that I embeded the code properly. It is hosted on here:http://film2240.webs.com/projects.htm  as wordpress.com makes it impossible to add any sort of code.I'm using this as a fund raiser for a film project.I'll need some takers.I can't use other sites as they expect me to upload the film in a way that can breach my IP rights where as here I can choose when,where and how I make my film available without breaching my IP rights (as I'm the creator of the film and owner of it's copyright,not anyone else).I feel that these solutions let me maintain my IP rights while fundraising and using new mediums for distribution which is why I like this system. :-) 

Even though I want to protect my IP rights,I don't agree with the over aggressive approach that MPAA/RIAA seems to like using against the consumers and this lets me do that in a moderate/liberal way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: