Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:55:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 233 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] CureCoin 2.0 is live - Mandatory Update is available now - DEC 2018  (Read 696200 times)
cygnusxi (OP)

Activity: 397
Merit: 251

CureCoin Lead Dev

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2016, 08:17:45 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2016, 09:20:50 PM by cygnusxi

The new theme removes the old coin logo completely and will now be themed around this logo

Looks like some kind of prototype logo design for the original iMac.  A bit dated.  But honestly I wasn't a big fan of the original logo either.

Some say cure is too centralized.  In the past any discussion about an improved logo was ignored or perhaps overlooked.  If I recall correctly, a contest was held for a new logo and a winner was never chosen.

Have you considered allowing community designers to bring cure's look into the present?  Or will the centralization continue from every aspect, down to the logo and look of the coin?

Thanks for your consideration.  Smiley

As I recall the community voted for a purple teddy bear and some other things just as lame. Also I'd glady accept help but most "community members" act more like spectators with lots of opinions and offer zero real help.

Find me a logo that resonates with everyone else on the forum and I'll use it.

As far as centralization. Did btc not have an epic battle over 2mb blocks? Did ethereum spilt into 2 coins proving that they are so centralized they will go against contracts written in their own code? Decentralization is an illusion these developers want you to believe. Nothing can ever be completely decentralized because software has humans that write it and do things like fork ethereum into 2 chains showing the largest act of centralization power ever. Curecoin stuck to its coin parameters without human induced forks.

Curecoin is serving its purpose and we are about to break the world record for dcn computing once again. Plenty of people believe in this project and with good cause. I've been on this forum being honest with people for years. Sure honesty is crap in a trust less world unless you are willing to take that chance on what many agree is still one of the best alts around. The fact that we have stayed in the top 100 on market cap for over 2 years should speak for itself. So many "perfectly decentralized" coins have died while curecoin continues to move waves in the scientific community.

Fold Proteins, earn cryptos! CureCoin. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=603757 MergeFold with FoldingCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781352.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shaka256

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 12:02:52 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2016, 12:34:16 AM by shaka256

Also I'd glady accept help but most "community members" act more like spectators with lots of opinions and offer zero real help.

Well, you should see our opinions as real help. It gives you different insights from different vantage points on different topics. Then you can try to make the best decision...

Curecoin is serving its purpose and we are about to break the world record for dcn computing once again. Plenty of people believe in this project and with good cause. I've been on this forum being honest with people for years. Sure honesty is crap in a trust less world unless you are willing to take that chance on what many agree is still one of the best alts around. The fact that we have stayed in the top 100 on market cap for over 2 years should speak for itself. So many "perfectly decentralized" coins have died while curecoin continues to move waves in the scientific community.

Honesty is a great thing and I guess a bunch of Curecoin team members have a scientific/engineering background so we value it. But my feeling is that non-philantropic investors (i.e. sharks) who might be willing to put a lot of money (I mean millions and more) in a cryptocurrency (to make more money) will probably choose one that does not rely on honesty... And since their investment would significantly increase the coin's market cap and value and bring more people to folding, we should address in advance any reluctance they may have so they choose us!
shaka256

Activity: 103

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 12:47:07 AM

I compiled under Linux the new wallet and started it just copying my old wallet.dat file in the .curecoin folder.
Looks like there is a minor bug in the code as in the "Recent Transactions" area I get the last transactions from my previous wallet client and the area is not updated with recent transactions. Also in the "Transactions" tab I have 3 old PoS transactions staying on top with the "?" mark and the amount between [].

Try running -rescan on command line the next time you load your wallet, also there is a method here that will get rid of the gray stake orphan blocks > https://www.curecoin.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3875

The -rescan option didn't do anything.
Actually the old transactions I see in the "Recent Transactions" area are the 3 orphan ones from the "Transactions" tab.
I'll try the export wallet to see if it helps.
shai_

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 03:41:06 AM

I compiled under Linux the new wallet and started it just copying my old wallet.dat file in the .curecoin folder.
Looks like there is a minor bug in the code as in the "Recent Transactions" area I get the last transactions from my previous wallet client and the area is not updated with recent transactions. Also in the "Transactions" tab I have 3 old PoS transactions staying on top with the "?" mark and the amount between [].

Try running -rescan on command line the next time you load your wallet, also there is a method here that will get rid of the gray stake orphan blocks > https://www.curecoin.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3875

Actually the old transactions I see in the "Recent Transactions" area are the 3 orphan ones from the "Transactions" tab.

0. backup wallet
1. try to run with -salvagewallet
cygnusxi (OP)

CureCoin Lead Dev

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 04:55:39 AM

this is the solution for that https://www.curecoin.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3875 , easy to do, make sure you back up your wallet.dat first

Fold Proteins, earn cryptos! CureCoin. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=603757 MergeFold with FoldingCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781352.0
ryohazuki89

Activity: 66

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 07:45:16 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2016, 07:56:03 AM by ryohazuki89

The new theme removes the old coin logo completely and will now be themed around this logo

Looks like some kind of prototype logo design for the original iMac.  A bit dated.  But honestly I wasn't a big fan of the original logo either.

Some say cure is too centralized.  In the past any discussion about an improved logo was ignored or perhaps overlooked.  If I recall correctly, a contest was held for a new logo and a winner was never chosen.

Have you considered allowing community designers to bring cure's look into the present?  Or will the centralization continue from every aspect, down to the logo and look of the coin?

As I recall the community voted for a purple teddy bear and some other things just as lame. Also I'd glady accept help but most "community members" act more like spectators with lots of opinions and offer zero real help.

As far as centralization. Did btc not have an epic battle over 2mb blocks? Did ethereum spilt into 2 coins proving that they are so centralized they will go against contracts written in their own code? Decentralization is an illusion these developers want you to believe. Nothing can ever be completely decentralized because software has humans that write it and do things like fork ethereum into 2 chains showing the largest act of centralization power ever. Curecoin stuck to its coin parameters without human induced forks.

That's a good point, we all should recognize that there will always be a single point of failure/centralization with curecoin given that it at all relies on Stanford's provided data in the first place.

As for the new logo, I have to agree it is shiet.  I actually prefer the old coin logo, but perhaps just replace the kanji with a globe that looks somewhat like the United Nations symbol (but not exactly like the United Nations symbol, because today it seems like curecoin could outlive the UN Tongue ).

All the other coins represent greed, but what CureCoin should represent is that:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/harblimgs/ufc38-remedios-sudo.png
cygnusxi (OP)

CureCoin Lead Dev

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 08:38:55 AM

That's a good point, we all should recognize that there will always be a single point of failure/centralization with curecoin given that it at all relies on Stanford's provided data in the first place.

As for the new logo, I have to agree it is shiet.  I actually prefer the old coin logo, but perhaps just replace the kanji with a globe that looks somewhat like the United Nations symbol (but not exactly like the United Nations symbol, because today it seems like curecoin could outlive the UN Tongue ).

All the other coins represent greed, but what CureCoin should represent is that:

PM wuffy68 , he has a logo that is exactly as you seem to describe. I can't spend too much time debating about the logo.. FifthGB may also be able to jump into the logo discussion but if curecoin is going to excel, the developers need to pay attention to anything but the logo. Please contact my team mates if you feel like you can contribute to the logo.

There is a folding@home competition that will be starting soon (created by myself). Stay tuned.. it will be a lot more exciting than any logo as world records in computational research are not just going to be broken but redefined completely. This is something no other coin can claim with maybe the exception of Prime coin , but there is the obvious difference in what you achieve on the 2 different platforms.
Cheers and fold on!

wilding2004

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 02:01:38 PM

Now I'm certainly not an expert in the world of cryptocurency, not even a particularly interested amateur, and it is very much my own opinion - but it seems to me that most crypto enthusiasts are obsessed with the idea of decentralisation.

I understand that is one of the cornerstones of Bitcoin - but so what? When you actually look at what Curecoin has achieved and what it represents, and you look at Stanfords record on security and robustness - it's clear that the Curecoin ecosystem is secure, robust, fair, viable, and most importantly contributes to the understanding and development of real science and medicine.
DevShuster

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 07:09:51 PM

Per Cygnusxi: "I've been on this forum being honest with people for years. Sure honesty is crap in a trust less world unless you are willing to take that chance on what many agree is still one of the best alts around. The fact that we have stayed in the top 100 on market cap for over 2 years should speak for itself."

I, for one, really appreciate the apparent honesty and relative transparency of the Curecoin team.  I also appreciate that there are almost never any technical glitches in the CC 1.0 network and wallet. 

Regarding Market Cap, I am afraid that I have contributed to it not reaching its potential.  See, I have kept my coins on exchanges, and the exchanges probably get the Proof of Stake "interest" on them, then sell those coins earned.  I currently leave my coins on exchanges because I trust the exchanges more than I trust my own ability to secure the coins, even though I am well aware of the significant risks of another Mt. Gox/Mintpal wiping out my coins on Bittrex and Poloniex.  If someone could come up with a recipe for a low-tech person like myself to get them off of the exchange, it would be greatly appreciated.  I am open to both a paper wallet and to securing the computer.  Perhaps the recipe or manual could reside on Google Docs or other place accessible to the public. 

My particulars are as follows: I have two types of computers, one is Windows 2012 R2 servers with RDP access, and one is a Windows 10 laptop that is not used as a server.  I would appreciate a list of steps to protect the laptop, and, if possible, the additional steps required to protect the servers.

My hope is that someone other than the CC devs could produce these steps initially as I know that they are already doing a lot of volunteer work for the coins, and that the CC devs might be willing to "bless" the solution(s) presented.
ryohazuki89

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 12:45:17 AM

PM wuffy68 , he has a logo that is exactly as you seem to describe. I can't spend too much time debating about the logo.. FifthGB may also be able to jump into the logo discussion but if curecoin is going to excel, the developers need to pay attention to anything but the logo. Please contact my team mates if you feel like you can contribute to the logo.

There is a folding@home competition that will be starting soon (created by myself). Stay tuned.. it will be a lot more exciting than any logo as world records in computational research are not just going to be broken but redefined completely. This is something no other coin can claim with maybe the exception of Prime coin , but there is the obvious difference in what you achieve on the 2 different platforms.
Cheers and fold on!

Cool man. You're right, forget about the logo right now. Lowest priority. Thanks for the response.
NoobKidOnTheBlock

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

FLY DONATION ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 12:46:15 AM

So what exactly is the premise behind curecoin? Like are they using it to help find cures for diseases? I love the coin I'm just wondering what the deal is behind it Smiley Cheers

▇▇▇

▇▇

▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇
............NoobKidOnThe.BLOCK.....

ryohazuki89

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 02:13:25 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2016, 07:13:12 AM by ryohazuki89

So what exactly is the premise behind curecoin? Like are they using it to help find cures for diseases? I love the coin I'm just wondering what the deal is behind it Smiley Cheers

Aside from mining, the most popular way to be rewarded curecoin is by folding proteins with Stanford University's protein folding distributed computing project software https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home , which has a lot of benefits for humanity aside from medical science. You can watch this kind of boring Ted Talk if you're really curious about its benefits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-3kovWpNQ&feature=youtu.be&t=636 (I skipped the video URL to 10:36 to where it really gets interesting).
Here is a list of diseases that occur due to protein misfolding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteopathy

With protein folding - just like mining cryptocurrencies - the stronger your GPU is the more curecoin you are rewarded as it is directly proportional to the amount of scientific research you are contributing.

At its current total combined computing power, curecoin is the most powerful protein folding "team" in any given 24 hours, by nearly double. As seen here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=
Currently there are only around 640 "curecoin folders", which makes it even more interesting.

The idea of CureCoin is to detract the "wasteful" amount of resources being spent on mining the useless puzzles of other cryptocurrencies for profit, at the cost of, well, centralization. Currently, curecoin is premined and being rewarded (with transparency) according to the stats that Stanford University's reports, all of which is being automated.

CureCoin 2.0 is in the works to make this centralization more trust-worthy, I suppose. Everyone will able to convert their curecoin to curecoin 2.0 when the time comes.

Fun Fact: You can also configure you folding@home client to be rewarded in both CureCoin and FoldingCoin http://foldingcoin.net/ (another cryptocurrency with the same ideals) simultaneously, without lowering your reward for the other. It is the consensus of this thread that "merge folding" in this way is currently the most profitable thing to put your GPUs toward (at the current price exchange).
paramind22

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 03:57:03 AM

If you're already Folding at Home for Curecoin, how do you adjust your software config file to add Foldingcoin as well?

FifthGhostbuster

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 04:06:03 AM

If you're already Folding at Home for Curecoin, how do you adjust your software config file to add Foldingcoin as well?

You would have to create a new name with a counter party bitcoin address. Something like  name_ALL_btc address

Here is a video for a how to. Cut me some slack this was the first time i've ever attempted something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hUyJDRDwc

Go CureCoin!
ryohazuki89

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 08:30:28 PM

^ Nice. According to this article http://jasondrowley.com/2015/12/04/the-bitcoin-network-is-11000x-faster-than-the-top-500-supercomputers-combined/
and Folding@Home's website, Folding@Home's entire computing power is at 99 petaflops whereas bitcoin is 7 million petaflops. I guess that's including ASICs, but wow. Long way to go for this coin. Tongue

I wonder what % the CureCoin folders are contributing to that 99 petaflop stat.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 11:31:15 PM

It is the consensus of this thread that "merge folding" in this way is currently the most profitable thing to put your GPUs toward (at the current price exchange).

It depends on the GPU.

Given my mixed farm, I refigure the numbers fairly frequently, most recently last night.

For many GPUs, especially ALL AMD GPUs, even with "merge folding" it is still more profitable to mine Ethereum.

For pre-9xx series NVidia GPUs specifically including the 750 Ti, merge folding is not very good at all but most of those cards aren't good Ethereum miners either. The 750 TI seems to be best off right now as an XMR (Monero) miner, pre-Maxwell NVidia cards are probably best to sell off to help pay for an upgrade to something much more recent and efficient in the same or lower power-consumption range (or a bit more if you have excess PS capasity).

For 9xx series NVidia GPUs, it depends - lower end ones like the 960 and down (and probably the 970 but I don't have any of those so I didn't figure the details) are ALSO more profitable on mining Ethereum - but it's getting fairly close, 'till the Foldcoin having in a bit less than 2 months looks like it will possibly put Ethereum firmly in the lead again for a while.

For the 980/980ti and Maxwell Titan, merge folding wins, but mostly because those cards aren't very good at Ethereum mining compared to their FAH PPD production.
 The one up side is that the 980 and 980ti have dropped in price on used cards to the same ballpark or sometimes less than a 1070 new costs, while they are competative on PPD abet at rather higher power consumption (980 seems to be a bit lower than the 1070 on long-term PPD, 980ti is a little better).

The 1060 3GB and 6GB are a question mark, but overall they're not all that good of folders while they're also not all that good at Ethereum and they should probably be avoided entirely in favor of either the 1070 or the AMD RX series based on the numbers I've seen reported for them so far. Note that I don't personally own any of these cards.

The 1070, 1080, and Titan X Pascal are better off merge folding. The Titan X Pascal in particular is a VERY impressive folder, but the cost makes it a fair bit less efficient overall than the 1070 and 1080 on a PPD/$ basis.

This all can easily change in a day if there is a major price movement on any of the respective coins, or in month as more GPU power gets directed at the various coins.

Merge folding profitability has dropped by almost HALF in the last month alone as the huge surge of Curecoin/merge folders have moved into it after the price jump, that surge has now dropped profitability to about a tossup with where the profitability was at in the week before the price kicked up over 3 cents per CureCoin. It is set to drop by about a quarter instantly at the Foldcoin halfing point in appx. 55 days from now.

In that same timeframe, Ethereum hashrate has kicked up enough to drop Ethereum earned by about a third for a given card while Ethereum price has been pretty much flat thus dropping the profitability by over a third.

All of this is also very depending on your electric cost - I have VERY VERY cheap electric where I live now, if your electric is more expensive *ALL* of the profitability numbers get worse than what I see out of a given card.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ryohazuki89

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 12:38:21 AM

It is the consensus of this thread that "merge folding" in this way is currently the most profitable thing to put your GPUs toward (at the current price exchange).

It depends on the GPU.

Given my mixed farm, I refigure the numbers fairly frequently, most recently last night.

For many GPUs, especially ALL AMD GPUs, even with "merge folding" it is still more profitable to mine Ethereum.

For pre-9xx series NVidia GPUs specifically including the 750 Ti, merge folding is not very good at all but most of those cards aren't good Ethereum miners either. The 750 TI seems to be best off right now as an XMR (Monero) miner, pre-Maxwell NVidia cards are probably best to sell off to help pay for an upgrade to something much more recent and efficient in the same or lower power-consumption range (or a bit more if you have excess PS capasity).

For 9xx series NVidia GPUs, it depends - lower end ones like the 960 and down (and probably the 970 but I don't have any of those so I didn't figure the details) are ALSO more profitable on mining Ethereum - but it's getting fairly close, 'till the Foldcoin having in a bit less than 2 months looks like it will possibly put Ethereum firmly in the lead again for a while.

For the 980/980ti and Maxwell Titan, merge folding wins, but mostly because those cards aren't very good at Ethereum mining compared to their FAH PPD production.
 The one up side is that the 980 and 980ti have dropped in price on used cards to the same ballpark or sometimes less than a 1070 new costs, while they are competative on PPD abet at rather higher power consumption (980 seems to be a bit lower than the 1070 on long-term PPD, 980ti is a little better).

The 1060 3GB and 6GB are a question mark, but overall they're not all that good of folders while they're also not all that good at Ethereum and they should probably be avoided entirely in favor of either the 1070 or the AMD RX series based on the numbers I've seen reported for them so far. Note that I don't personally own any of these cards.

The 1070, 1080, and Titan X Pascal are better off merge folding. The Titan X Pascal in particular is a VERY impressive folder, but the cost makes it a fair bit less efficient overall than the 1070 and 1080 on a PPD/$ basis.

This all can easily change in a day if there is a major price movement on any of the respective coins, or in month as more GPU power gets directed at the various coins.

Merge folding profitability has dropped by almost HALF in the last month alone as the huge surge of Curecoin/merge folders have moved into it after the price jump, that surge has now dropped profitability to about a tossup with where the profitability was at in the week before the price kicked up over 3 cents per CureCoin. It is set to drop by about a quarter instantly at the Foldcoin halfing point in appx. 55 days from now.

In that same timeframe, Ethereum hashrate has kicked up enough to drop Ethereum earned by about a third for a given card while Ethereum price has been pretty much flat thus dropping the profitability by over a third.

All of this is also very depending on your electric cost - I have VERY VERY cheap electric where I live now, if your electric is more expensive *ALL* of the profitability numbers get worse than what I see out of a given card.

Thanks QuintLeo. Good to know that the 1070 is a good folder, I was considering getting that if I were to get a gaming rig.
kopija

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 04:51:55 AM

Here is an excellent PPD/$/watt gpu comparison:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v5gXral3BcFOoXs5n1M6l_Uo3pZpQYogn6gVlxRPnz0/edit#gid=0

we are nothing but a smart contracts on a cosmic blockchain
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 09:09:22 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2016, 09:26:01 AM by QuintLeo

Can't trust that spreadsheet.

The GTX 1070 IS NOT a consistent 675k PPD performer, more like 600k based on my FARM of them (mix of Gigabyte and EVGA models at this point).
 150 watts is ALSO not right - more like 170 with the overclocking needed to get *TO* 600k PPD fairly consistantly, per Nvidia-SMI (and backed up reasonably closely by watttmeter readings).
 They CAN be found in a few cases for $400 (usually higher for most but not by a lot, and NewEgg USUALLY has at least one mid-to-high end version on sale for $399).

Makes me wonder if ANY of the numbers in that spreadsheet for PPD or watts can be trusted, but I can't speak to THOSE from significant personal experience.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 05:22:58 PM

Hi Quint,
don't you know, what's more important for folding, gpucore, or gpumem?
cheers

This is my signature...
Pages: « 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 233 »
  Print  

Jump to: