Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:50:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius to the Rescue  (Read 1906 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 07:57:28 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2012, 08:16:24 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Taking for granted the reader is aware of Donate-a-Brick fundraising programs (http://www.bricksrus.com), I offer up a similar plan with Casascius creating the key product.

Forgive me for not going into greater detail, but I'm sure you'll figure out for yourselves the gist of this proposal. Key points: Casascius can make the coins and still enjoy a profit; fundraisers would enjoy a comfortable return; the donators have an opportunity to earn a return on their donation/investment. I like to refer to this aspect as making a donestment. You can't do that with a brick!

http://www.volunteertv.com/state/headlines/Donations_needed_to_finish_Rutherford_WTC_memorial_137416673.html

The overall budget for the memorial has been estimated at $30,000. Because fundraising has been slow, nearly half of that cost has been met by donated time and supplies.

Dotson and Sgt. Jimmy Cassidy expanded their efforts by selling commemorative coins that depict the monument, which have sold better than the bricks.

~Bruno~
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 02:28:32 PM

I am thinking of doing something similar with a bitcoin bingo game for charities. I'm still not sure how legal it is, and it's still too hard for Aunt Bessie to convert a private key to Bitcoin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 08:01:59 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2012, 11:37:52 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Even if this idea is a dead end, at least I'm putting effort in getting Bitcoin mainstream. That said, wait till you read my next idea.

~Bruno~
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

We could start a whole collection of commemorative Bitcoin medallions and coins. Howabout an "I Survived 2012" piece with the Mayan Calendar on the front?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 08:15:02 PM

We could start a whole collection of commemorative Bitcoin medallions and coins. Howabout an "I Survived 2012" piece with the Mayan Calendar on the front?

that would be cool
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:02:38 AM

A short list below expanding upon cbeast's idea, hopefully to get your creative juices flowing: http://ideas4writers.wordpress.com/

• 50 years ago (19 May 1962)
    American actress Marilyn Monroe famously sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to President John F. Kennedy during a birthday party/fundraiser at Madison Square Garden, New York City
  • 150 years ago (1 Jul 1862)
    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) was established in the USA, and the first national progressive rate income tax was introduced
  • 100 years ago (1 Jul 1912)
    Birth of David Ross Brower, American environmentalist, founder of several environmental organisations including Friends of the Earth
  • 75 years ago (5 Jul 1937)
    Spam luncheon meat was launched by Hormel Foods in Austin, Minnesota, USA
  • 70 years ago (6 Jul 1942)
    Anne Frank and her family went into hiding in a secret annex at her father’s workplace in Amsterdam
  • 65 years ago (2 Jul 1947)
    Roswell Incident, New Mexico, USA. A UFO apparently crash-landed on a ranch, and debris with strange markings and unusual properties was found. The U.S. Air Force claimed it was just a weather balloon
  • 50 years ago (2 Jul 1962)
    The first Wal-Mart store opened in Rogers, Arkansas, USA
  • 40 years ago (1 Jul 1972)
    The first Gay Pride march in Britain took place in London

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: