Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:15:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: profiting on mgtox while mining?  (Read 1388 times)
Costia (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 05:46:10 PM

I started mining on my GPU a few days ago and transferred 0.1BTC to MTgox to play on the market.
tried short selling , and lost about 5% since the BTC went up.
Which got me thinking. I started mining because i believe that the value of BTC will go up with time.
If i were a trader that would mean I should buy BTC for a long term profit, but since i am a miner it basically means I dont need to do a thing - i am already getting BTC, and all i need to do for a profit is not to sell them - a.k.a. do nothing. this is kinda boring...
So, If i believe the value of BTC will go up, is there any sense for a miner to trade on MTgox at all?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 05:48:55 PM

I started mining on my GPU a few days ago and transferred 0.1BTC to MTgox to play on the market.
tried short selling , and lost about 5% since the BTC went up.
Which got me thinking. I started mining because i believe that the value of BTC will go up with time.
If i were a trader that would mean I should buy BTC for a long term profit, but since i am a miner it basically means I dont need to do a thing - i am already getting BTC, and all i need to do for a profit is not to sell them - a.k.a. do nothing. this is kinda boring...
So, If i believe the value of BTC will go up, is there any sense for a miner to trade on MTgox at all?

Yes. If you think BTC is currently overvalued, you can sell and wait till it drops a bit, only to buy back more BTC. That way, even if in the longterm BTC goes up, you will have more BTC, thus more profit.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 05:50:50 PM

Just don't do that. It is speculation and it's a zero sum game whereas investing is not.
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 05:54:00 PM

Just don't do that. It is speculation and it's a zero sum game whereas investing is not.

True, and because he's asking, he's probably not good enough to beat the market. But if he is good enough to have an edge on the market, he could consider doing it.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:16:22 PM

quote author=wachtwoord link=topic=60444.msg704008#msg704008 date=1327081850]
[/quote]
Never thought about it this way.
Playing the market on the short term means the asset doesnt actually change its value and i am using bubbles to profit
While in the long term its the asset itself that changer its actual value

Thanks
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:26:08 PM

That's why I posted it. To avoid you trying to beat other people in a game they are very likely to be better at. Most people will end up losing, a few will win and the bank (aka MT Gox/Bitcoinica/Tradehill etc) will always win.

If you'd like to read a good book about investing in general (and how it is completely different from speculation) I'd recommend "The Intelligent investor" by Benjamin Graham (http://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Investor-Book-Practical-Counsel/dp/0060155477).
Twister Trojan

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 09:11:26 PM

It doesn't matter what you call it, profit is the only reason to do it. I've traded stocks and options for some years and the less I thought about investing the more money I made. Sometimes people ask me "What's a good stock to buy?" when they mean "to buy and hold?" and I have to tell them I don't know of any.
Goomboo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 09:12:15 PM

My background is finance and your question is "does this make sense"

Sense = the present value of all future cash flows is greater than your cost of capital

In other words:

If you think you can MAKE money trading adjusted for the risk of uncertainty, then you should trade as well as mine.

So the question is thrown back at you: can you make money trading?
Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:18:42 AM

In the current situation the profit i can possibly make from short term trading is not enough to justify the effort - i.e. I can make more money by spending this time working , writing software, rather than betting on unknowns. In other words - i don't think I can make money just by trading in a speculative zero-sum environment.
The only investment that makes sense for me is long term. Assuming financial bubbles don't last forever i need to evaluate if the current cost of BTC is more than it's worth now, and/or if it is greater than what it will be worth in the future.

So i guess that my current decision should be to invest a small amount of time/money into BTC now for these 2 reasons:
1) BTC might be actually worth something in the future
2) In the process itself of trying to figure out how currency works i am learning a lot about economy/money/trading - and actually getting some practical experience with investments without much risk.

I think that the only logical step for me is to buy some BTC for real money as a long term investment. But currently, I will not do it since I don't feel comfortable investing any sum of money due to my lack of knowledge in trading and economics.
jekker

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:01:17 PM

I trade bitcoins in small amounts and make a few bucks here and there. I've simply recognized the pattern of when bitcoins go down in price and when they go up. So i just buy low and sell high. I'm not very good at it, but it does make me some money.
coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 07:08:26 PM

I trade bitcoins in small amounts and make a few bucks here and there. I've simply recognized the pattern of when bitcoins go down in price and when they go up. So i just buy low and sell high. I'm not very good at it, but it does make me some money.

Maybe. It's a fun game, but liquidity really limits the amounts you can put to use this way, and your time is most certainly better rewarded (financially) doing something else.

Also, some small gains can easily be set off by a big loss, so I don't think you have evaluated your true risk yet. I made this mistake in the past too. Pattern based methods are quite like reading tea leaves.

-coinft.
Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 10:04:25 PM

Maybe. It's a fun game, but liquidity really limits the amounts you can put to use this way, and your time is most certainly better rewarded (financially) doing something else.

Also, some small gains can easily be set off by a big loss, so I don't think you have evaluated your true risk yet. I made this mistake in the past too. Pattern based methods are quite like reading tea leaves.

-coinft.

I dont quite agree with this. the lessons taught here by loosing a few cents/dollars on mgtox can save you a lot of money in the long run
While he doesn't get rewarded much in terms of actual money - it will teach him how volatile a forex market can be - thus saving him a lot of losses in the future
i.e. free economical education , some institution charge quite a lot for that Smiley
codymanix

Activity: 203
Merit: 121

Gir: I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now..

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 08:56:06 PM

I do not really understand the question. If you have lots of coins, you cannot do anything with it unless you make money from it, right?
And to make money from bitcoin you need an exchange like MtGox or Tradehill, right?

Also you do not have to speculate. You can also long term invest your bitcoins, given the (99%) fact that bitcoin will rise, as seen in long term.

Programming tutorials, Tools, Games & Humor http://deutronium.de.vu
My Vircurex referral code for persistant 0.05% trade discount: 750-33267 or use
https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=750-33267
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: