Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:32:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a Client with merged mining support?  (Read 1312 times)
Costia (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 05:33:41 PM

I am currently in a pool that doesn't mine namecoins
Is it possible to make the client mine bitcoins with the pool while simultaniously solo mining name coins (or conncting to a seperate namecoin pool)?
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 05:50:30 PM

Is it possible to make the client mine bitcoins with the pool while simultaniously solo mining name coins (or conncting to a seperate namecoin pool)?

That's not possible. The pool supplies the block that needs to be hashed. In order to do merged mining, the header of the NMC block has to be included in that block for merged mining to be possible.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:13:39 PM

That's not possible. The pool supplies the block that needs to be hashed. In order to do merged mining, the header of the NMC block has to be included in that block for merged mining to be possible.
so currently there are blocks in the bitcoin chain that include name coin information/transactions?
namecoin and bitcoin use the same blockchain?
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 07:51:56 PM

so currently there are blocks in the bitcoin chain that include name coin information/transactions?

No, they use separate blockchains. I'm not 100% sure how merged mining is done, but AFAIK the Bitcoin blockchain contains headers of the Namecoin blocks, but not the Namecoin blocks themselves. So the Bitcoin blockchain does not contain any information/transactions from the Namecoin network.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 08:09:58 PM

from what i have read now it seems that for smerged mining to work the namecoin block hash is inserted into the bitcoin block
the bitcoin clients will ignore this hash
And the namecoin block contains the bitcoin block's header
So to allow parallel mining on bitcoin and namecoin pools, the pool servers need to allow the client to add things to the block:
1) Bitcoin pool server sends a block of transactions
2) Namecoin pool server sends a block of transactions
3) Client creates the merged block and tries to solve it
4) Client need to send the entire block to the pool server and not just the solution - since the client changed the block
5) pool server must make sure that the block returned by the client is valid and contains all the transactions (and set some restrictions so the client wont add garbage to load the network)
so i think it is possible...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 08:41:09 PM

Little more complicated than that.

Bitcoin & Namecoin have different blockchains.

How merged mining works is a hash for the namecoin block header is put INTO the coinbase transaction for the Bitcoin block.  Thus when bitcoin block is hashed it can be checked against both bitcoin and namecoin difficulty.

Since the pool server creates the blockheader if it doesn't contain the namecoin block hash in the coinbase transaction then any resulting hash can only be used for Bitcoin.

Your choices:
1) pick a new pool.  Bitminter is a 0% fee PPLNS merged mining pool.
2) use p2pool.  W/ p2pool you created your own block headers and thus could merge mine anything you want.
3) solo mine.  Obviously w/ solo mining you have complete control over what you mine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: