Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:44:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Subscription payment cronjob-like area for the Bitcoin GUI?  (Read 1303 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 09:47:12 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2011, 07:10:34 AM by gigabytecoin

One of PayPal's and the Banks' most popular products is "repeat billing" or "subscription payments".

Customers love it for it's ease of use and businesses love it for the constant income.

I should be able to enter a bitcoin address into my bitcoin client and pay it the exact same amount of bitcoins however often I so choose.

Imagine having all of your subscription payments easily accessible from a single program on your desktop?

Right now I have to make sure I top up my cell phone every month with my credit card through their website. I have an automatic payment setup to withdraw money from my bank account for a dedicated server I rent. I have care insurance payments that can only be dealt with via fax+phone being charged to by checking account. And I have some forum subscription payments that go through PayPal. It's a nightmare to change any of them. If I could just click "cancel subscription" or uncheck a box on my desktop to cancel a subscription I would be thrilled!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kristofferR

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 10:54:24 PM

Yeah, I've suggested this too. It's absolutely necessary for BitCoin to succeed in making PayPal users switch.

The protocol should not be changed. The default client should just get a tab called Recurring/Regular or something like that where the chosen amount of BTC are sent to a Bitcoin address every day/month/year. The payments should be cancelable with a click of a button.  The recurring money sendings could be sent to any bitcoin address. If you want to donate 10BTC to the faucet/EFF/grandma/other thing every week automatically you could do that. You could use it to pay for hosting, services, rent, donations, funds, savings - basically anything you want. It would be great and make BitCoins even more useful and easy to use.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 11:12:50 PM

One of PayPal's and the Banks' most popular products is "repeat billing" or "subscription payments".

Customers love it for it's ease of use and businesses love it for the constant income.

I should be able to enter a bitcoin address into my bitcoin client and pay it the exact same amount of bitcoins whenever I so choose.

Imagine having all of your subscription payments easily accessible from a single program on your desktop?

Right now I have to make sure I top up my cell phone every month with my credit card through their website. I have an automatic payment setup to withdraw money from my bank account for a dedicated server I rent. I have care insurance payments that can only be dealt with via fax+phone being charged to by checking account. And I have some forum subscription payments that go through PayPal. It's a nightmare to change any of them. If I could just click "cancel subscription" or uncheck a box on my desktop to cancel a subscription I would be thrilled!!!

It's a good idea, but probably not a deal breaker right now.  There are lower hanging fruit to go after.  At least in my opinion.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 01:58:55 AM

I like it ... worth working on imo.

Submit a patch when you get it together.

gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 07:11:39 AM

I should be able to enter a bitcoin address into my bitcoin client and pay it the exact same amount of bitcoins whenever I so choose.

It's a good idea, but probably not a deal breaker right now.  There are lower hanging fruit to go after.  At least in my opinion.

Sure, not a deal breaker. But it's a pretty simple implementation (windows already has scheduled tasks, and linux cronjobs) for a major improvement in the client imho.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: