Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:42:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Devs: Blockchain Explorer/Obelisk Server/Wallet for BTC/LTC/etc  (Read 1382 times)
bardi.harborow (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:13:44 AM

Hi BitcoinTalk,

Thought I might see if there is any interest in creating a new blockchain explorer like Blockchain.info for Bitcoin, Litecoin and any other big alt-coins. It would have a wallet system similar to Blockchain.info, but with one crucial difference, it would support multiple crypto-currencies. This allows you to stop lugging around ten (or more) different damons and blockchains for all your favorite altcoins, but most of all, it stops dumb/lazy (I'm the latter Grin) people having all your money in Crypsy, just waiting for another Inputs.io fiasco.

Before you say that blockchain explorers already exist, I've yet to come across one with pushtx functionality (other that Blockchain.info).

And before the alt-coin haters come and throw rocks, I'd just like to say that all the alt-coins are interesting experiments with different parameters and algorithms, and I'd hate to see a alt-coin that could have been the future fall over from lack of support. All coins should have access to the same services like pools, blockchain explorers and wallets.

From my research, an obelisk server seems to do what we need it too. Add that to a Node.js front end and you have your service. The trickiest part is porting Libbitcoin and Obelisk to Litecoin/etc. SHA256 coins should be relatively simple as I think it's just some genesis block, magic byte and address prefix changes.

I'm thinking that starting the Bitcoin one first would be a good idea, as it would give us experience with Obelisk before we tackle the challenge of

If anyone is interesting in helping, don't be shy, post below. Oh, and the other thing is what sort of specs would you need for hosting? I would assume we could cope with a DigitalOcean $10/month (1GB RAM, 1 Core, 30GB Disk, 2TB Transfer) for now (for Bitcoin). Hopefully someone will fund us to get better servers (hint hint). Hope this all made sense, late at night here but thought I should get this out sooner than later.  Wink

TL;DR: I want to create something like Blockchain.info for multiple crypto-currencys (BTC/LTC/DOGE/maybe more?).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:16:05 AM

I want to add Litecoin and Dogecoin to libbitcoin. Might be a month or so before it happens, but we want this in DW and SX.

Right now I have to focus on optimising the blockchain.
bardi.harborow (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:29:54 AM

I want to add Litecoin and Dogecoin to libbitcoin. Might be a month or so before it happens, but we want this in DW and SX.

Right now I have to focus on optimising the blockchain.

Great to hear from you. If you need any help, just say the word. I'm going to try and con someone into paying for a VPS. =)
WildCrescent

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:50:58 AM

Are you dreaming? Cheesy Minimum 4 GB per coin and perhaps more. And use load balancing Smiley

I would assume we could cope with a DigitalOcean $10/month (1GB RAM, 1 Core, 30GB Disk, 2TB Transfer)
spring.yu

Activity: 115

Cryptocurrencies is future

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:54:17 AM

What are the qualifications for this job?
And how much would you pay ?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:56:08 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 05:10:12 AM by gweedo

I current run https://apicoin.io, and we have push tx functionality (https://apicoin.io/api/v1/doc/#pushtx). We are also the currently the only ones that can do it in batch, up to 100 signed transactions in one api call. We use special technology that we designed to do that, so you aren't going to load up any premade software to do that.

Are you dreaming? Cheesy Minimum 4 GB per coin and perhaps more. And use load balancing Smiley

I would assume we could cope with a DigitalOcean $10/month (1GB RAM, 1 Core, 30GB Disk, 2TB Transfer)

Also this impossible, you would need at least 75GB. But then I wouldn't also use that same VPS for the frontend otherwise you will be running very slow.
Pleasantel

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:06:38 AM

75 GB ram. Post a screenshot of top output  Cheesy
bardi.harborow (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 03:41:57 AM

I current run https://apicoin.io, and we have push tx functionality (https://apicoin.io/api/v1/doc/#pushtx). We are also the currently the only ones that can do it in batch, up to 100 signed transactions in one api call. We use special technology that we designed to do that, so you aren't going to load up any premade software to do that.

Also this impossible, you would need at least 75GB. But then I wouldn't also use that same VPS for the frontend otherwise you will be running very slow.

Blockchain is 17.3GB. Even with a indexes and everything it shouldn't need more than 30GB, or am I wrong. Not sure what "special technology" you use, but submitting txs to the network is very simple. I'm aware that there is not much " premade software" for blockchain explorers, at least not very good ones, hence the "Need Devs" title. At this rate it seems I'll just have to develop it myself.

What are the qualifications for this job?
And how much would you pay ?

Not sure if I was explicit enough in the OP. I'm looking for some people who want to be part of the project and get a share of profit or donations. (I am broke.)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:02:33 AM

Blockchain is 17.3GB. Even with a indexes and everything it shouldn't need more than 30GB, or am I wrong. Not sure what "special technology" you use, but submitting txs to the network is very simple. I'm aware that there is not much " premade software" for blockchain explorers, at least not very good ones, hence the "Need Devs" title. At this rate it seems I'll just have to develop it myself.

I was just basing it off you are looking to do more than just bitcoins. That is why I said 75gb to support all three, doge, btc, and ltc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: