Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2016, 12:09:11 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box  (Read 176624 times)
kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:04:18 AM

Is there any risk to having a device sit on a cooler? While my room isn't very warm, the cooler is very cool and seems like it'd be a nice place for the single to sit. Could this hurt it at all?
What sort of cooler, do you mean a small air conditioning unit or something? I can't imagine that cold temps would cause any issues, and BFL has said that you could potentially get better performance from a cooler unit.

Uhh basically it would be on top of a vent for a house cooling system.

Just keep an eye out for condensation,that would be bad,hmm-kay Smiley

Do you ever see condensation on the outside of a cup of hot coffee? What about on the outside of a glass of ice cold soda? Please, get your physics straight.

There is absolutely no danger of condensation in this situation. It would actually cause the opposite.

You ever see a vent sweat??? Due to leaks where the can meets the ceiling?? Very cold air meets hot air or something very warm.Get a job in the A/C field................................................. Roll Eyes

Yes. I have seen it.

The A/C vent in my storage room:

Any time the dew point / weather conditions are right for rain, air conditioning makes the vent quite wet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1330

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:34:25 AM

If anyone is interested is selling their mini rig position -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92917.0
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:17:49 PM

Is there any risk to having a device sit on a cooler? While my room isn't very warm, the cooler is very cool and seems like it'd be a nice place for the single to sit. Could this hurt it at all?
What sort of cooler, do you mean a small air conditioning unit or something? I can't imagine that cold temps would cause any issues, and BFL has said that you could potentially get better performance from a cooler unit.

Uhh basically it would be on top of a vent for a house cooling system.

Just keep an eye out for condensation,that would be bad,hmm-kay Smiley

Do you ever see condensation on the outside of a cup of hot coffee? What about on the outside of a glass of ice cold soda? Please, get your physics straight.

There is absolutely no danger of condensation in this situation. It would actually cause the opposite.

You ever see a vent sweat??? Due to leaks where the can meets the ceiling?? Very cold air meets hot air or something very warm.Get a job in the A/C field................................................. Roll Eyes

Yes. I have seen it.

The A/C vent in my storage room:

Any time the dew point / weather conditions are right for rain, air conditioning makes the vent quite wet.

Thank you,just makin sure I got my physics straight. Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Acejam

Activity: 283

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:15:55 PM

Question:

If I buy an SC single - will I need a computer to hook it up to for mining? I understand that one might be needed to re-flash firmware and such - but what about for everyday mining? I assume it doesn't have an ethernet port - so I'm not sure how it would download block data without an PC.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 917

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 09:06:42 PM

If I buy an SC single - will I need a computer to hook it up to for mining? I understand that one might be needed to re-flash firmware and such - but what about for everyday mining? I assume it doesn't have an ethernet port - so I'm not sure how it would download block data without an PC.

Short answer: yes, a computer is required.

The SC Single works the same way as BFL's current Single. That is, you need a host PC running mining software (Windows, Linux, Mac). The PC provides work to the Single and processes the results coming back. The SC Single, like the current Single, does not have an ethernet port; it communicates to the PC via USB (the appropriate cable is provided, BTW).

BTC: 1DJVUnLuPA2bERTkyeir8bKn1eSoRCrYvx
NMC: NFcfHSBBnq622pAr1Xoh9KtnBPA5CUn6id
kano
Legendary

Activity: 1932

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 11:09:06 PM

Thanks for clearing that up! One last question, is EasyMiner supposed to support mining, as the radio buttons for that are greyed out...

We're working on that part as we speak.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
Sigh - wasted effort for a company that never seems to have time to fix anything.
It will only ever be a 2nd class miner compared to .... others ....

Why not do something useful like:
1) make a better bitstream that doesn't use polling
2) make a bitstream that allows changing the clock
3) Did the 792 bitstream ever get fixed?
4) Make a faster bitstream again for people who are running fine on the fastest one
5) Fix the MiniRig nonce range ............

Creating a miner that can handle 8TH of processing power without being hit by network
latency is a tough task. Also, we'll be releasing a couple of new firmwares this weekend.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
So that weekend is over.
In fact twice that time has now passed if we allowed for a last minute, 11th hour release, at the end of the weekend.

Are these new bitstreams due soon?

I hope this isn't setting some sort of precedent of either
1) Support of non-ASIC has been effectively dumped - bad luck for BFL FPGA ... and those still waiting on BFL FPGA delivery ...
2) Like ALL previous BFL deadlines, this one was meaningless ... and the ASIC dates are similarly meaningless.

Oh hang on, 2) wouldn't be a new precedent ...

A VERY reasonable request:
since BFL have already stated that they are literally killing the BFL FPGA's in about 3 months so that they are no more than a half price trade in on ASIC (and when ASIC is released, using a BFL FPGA will be pointless - like CPU mining is now)
Can you now please release the details of AT LEAST how to upload bitstreams to the device?
... still no sign of these bitstreams/firmwares/whatever ...

Pool: https://kano.is BTC: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb
CKPool and CGMiner developer, IRC FreeNode #ckpool and #cgminer kanoi
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with Stratum, the best protocol to mine Bitcoins with ASIC hardware
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 11:39:34 PM

they're busy shipping 50 singles a day and answering their 200 emails.

Nevermind that I still haven't gotten a reply to my email from two weeks ago and the forum tracking list only seems indicate about 10 singles are shipping per day

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
cuz0882

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:07:04 AM

they're busy shipping 50 singles a day and answering their 200 emails.

Nevermind that I still haven't gotten a reply to my email from two weeks ago and the forum tracking list only seems indicate about 10 singles are shipping per day
Judging from the wait list, I would say they are shipping zero a day right now. Also you wouldn't have a technician returning emails regarding sales.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 01:23:54 AM

Also you wouldn't have a technician returning emails regarding sales.

You're right.. It's nobody answering emails.

What "I would do" and what "bfl would do" are two very different things.

EIEIO:

rjk

Activity: 420

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:49:28 PM

I got a response saying they are too busy to make a change to my order's shipping address. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall there to see what's actually going on; if you are really getting so many orders per day that you can't help out customers that have already ordered... well I think any sane business owner would halt sales until the problem is fixed. The volume of orders for an entire month should be enough to make estimates and targets for production far into the future.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
heavyb

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 02:09:53 PM

I got a response saying they are too busy to make a change to my order's shipping address. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall there to see what's actually going on; if you are really getting so many orders per day that you can't help out customers that have already ordered... well I think any sane business owner would halt sales until the problem is fixed. The volume of orders for an entire month should be enough to make estimates and targets for production far into the future.

You never stop taking orders. You hire more workers to keep up with the demand. I cant imagine they aren't making buckets of money everyday with how excited people are over their products. Imagine how much more $ they would be making if customers didn't need to have thousands of dollars sitting idle on their orders before being able to mine with their products. If I only had to wait 2 weeks instead of 8-10, I would have quite a few more of their products.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 03:45:28 PM

I just now got a reply back from my June 29th email requesting a change of address.  Alicia from BFL confirmed that they would change the shipping address.

I got a response saying they are too busy to make a change to my order's shipping address.

Sad

EIEIO:

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:14:33 PM

I just now got a reply back from my June 29th email requesting a change of address.  Alicia from BFL confirmed that they would change the shipping address.

I got a response saying they are too busy to make a change to my order's shipping address.

Sad
Left hand, meet right. Right, this is left. Oh look, some feet too! Do we have a brain?

Internal communication seems to be about as good as bitcoinica et al. I only got my response to the office@ address after CCing sonny.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 04:16:15 PM

Sad
Left hand, meet right. Right, this is left. Oh look, some feet too! Do we have a brain?

Internal communication seems to be about as good as bitcoinica et al. I only got my response to the office@ address after CCing sonny.

Only bitcoinica has the excuse of different countries and timezones.  BFL staff sit next to each other.

EIEIO:

kano
Legendary

Activity: 1932

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 11:08:08 PM

Sad

That assumes that there are more than 2 people at BFL: Sonny and the old lady who builds everything with a soldering iron ... Cheesy

Pool: https://kano.is BTC: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb
CKPool and CGMiner developer, IRC FreeNode #ckpool and #cgminer kanoi
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with Stratum, the best protocol to mine Bitcoins with ASIC hardware
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 11:51:31 PM

the old lady who builds everything with a soldering iron ... Cheesy
Derp, that's not a soldering iron, it's a hot-air SMD rework system.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 11:55:54 PM

the old lady who builds everything with a soldering iron ... Cheesy
Derp, that's not a soldering iron, it's a hot-air SMD rework system.

Are you sure.. that's not a curling iron? ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system. - GA
It is being worked on by smart people. -DamienBlack
BFL

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 12:12:25 AM

RJK, sorry you had trouble getting an address change for delivery.  We're switching into a CRM system to handle the volume more gracefully.  Depending on the state of your account, some address changes are easier to adjust than others.  In the case of PayPal, shipping anywhere other than the original verified address is frowned upon (by PayPal).  In non PayPal cases, we can/do change the address.  However, if it's not yet converted into our newer system then an address change might introduce some risk of confusion.  I don't know who you are to look you up, but I expect this is what happened with your address change request.  The CSR was just being overly careful.

These are necessary growing pains and not a sign of indifference to our customers.  Thanks for your patience.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:16:00 AM

RJK, sorry you had trouble getting an address change for delivery.  We're switching into a CRM system to handle the volume more gracefully.  Depending on the state of your account, some address changes are easier to adjust than others.  In the case of PayPal, shipping anywhere other than the original verified address is frowned upon (by PayPal).  In non PayPal cases, we can/do change the address.  However, if it's not yet converted into our newer system then an address change might introduce some risk of confusion.  I don't know who you are to look you up, but I expect this is what happened with your address change request.  The CSR was just being overly careful.

These are necessary growing pains and not a sign of indifference to our customers.  Thanks for your patience.
Sounds good, going from a spreadsheet to a system with a database will certainly do wonders for any business. It was a Bitcoin order and shall I just re-submit in a few days? Perhaps by then you will have completed the switch.

sinkillerj

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:33:22 PM

Got my Single the other week, wondering if they even look at these things before they ship, there is a screw falling out of the top of the case, looks like its because a bolt is missing, and its causing the fan to hang down inside. The usb and power are so misaligned I cant actually plug it in to see if it even works. I've sent two emails which they have failed to respond to, and I have now opened a PayPal case. If they are going to warranty against manufacturing defects for 6 months, they could at least honour that when its fresh out of the box.

Long story short, I cant honestly recommend purchasing from BFL.
Pages: « 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.