Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:25:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin were Gold  (Read 1828 times)
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:13:59 PM

If all Apple trees go extinct and you held the last apple on earth and there was no possible way to reproduce it.  How much would that Apple sell for? 

Infinity or world's entire money supply.  But only to a true apple fancier Cool
cbutters (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:22:29 PM

So 5,507,295,000 troy ounces vs 12,730,000 bitcoins means that bitcoin is 432 times MORE RARE than gold.

You are comparing different units here (like apples to oranges). Both Bitcoin and gold are sub-dividable.

Bitcoin happens to be lighter and harder to counterfeit (and probably easier to steal).

There is 1 goldsupply, there is 12.7 mil bitcoin supply. Bitcoin is 12.7 mil less rare than 1 goldsupply

Your logic is impeccable!   Roll Eyes

You guys miss the point..... Bitcoin is commonly sold and the price is quoted in units of 1BTC, gold is commonly sold and the price is quoted in units of troy ounces.

How rare is one bitcoin compared to one troy ounce of gold?  Please do tell me the proper method for coming up with an answer to that question. I would love to see if you come up with something different than what I did.

Also, I am attempting to establish rarity based on the total existence of something.

Lets say for example you are locked in a room... outside the room nothing exists, the only thing that exists is what is inside the room... follow me? good...

Now lets say in this room you have 100 oranges and 10 apples. How much more rare are apples than oranges? Apples are ten times rarer than oranges right? Does it matter that you can cut an apple into pieces? Does it matter that you can stack 100 oranges into a crate? no... there are 10 times more oranges in existence than apples.

I'm comparing quantities in existence, doesn't matter if gold and bitcoin can be combined or melted down, I'm talking one troy ounce of gold, how many exist on the planet, and one bitcoin on the bitcoin network how many exist on this planet.

All you logic geniuses please show me the proper way to establish a baseline of how rare one bitcoin is to one troy ounce of gold if you think I'm so wrong.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:51:59 PM

Plus, those insisting bitcoin has no intrinsic value - that's incorrect and overlooking the obvious.

At the end of the day, regardless of store of value and currency, bitcoin is computer code and data. Computer code that performs any useful task is inherently valuable. Would we argue the code running the entire internet has no value when we can't get online? When something malfunctions and we have no idea how to fix the code? When entire governments can be held hostage to 1s and 0s at the whim of a "techno 4chan nerd" (no offense to the 4channers, hugs).

Computer code IS gold of the digital age. It's not a metal, it's another element entirely...but to say it has no intrinsic value compared to gold's intrinsic value is nonsense. Water is an element. Air is an element. We take those for granted and might insist water and air can't be used as currency but that is also wrong. People literally trade goods and services for air and water as a commodity...a value exchange. Ever paid a quarter to air up your tires? Ever bought bottled water? Ever been stuck in a room with limited air supply? You start rationing intake and oxygen in a hurry.

Code is digital and code pretty much runs everything we do, our entire lives at this point...so a code that has been programmed to work, solve problems, store value, provide inherent security and transparency, and includes units of currency does more in utility than gold ever hoped to do, but both are equally valuable.

We take 1s and 0s for granted way too much until our computers crash and our phones don't make calls and our downloads are interrupted and our games lag.

A piece of code that provides financial security and can't be regulated or controlled by anyone but those who use it themselves is genius.

The programmers and coders should step up and try to figure out a non geeky way of explaining just how valuable code is to their entire lives these days Smiley

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:16:09 PM

Rarity also depends on demand.

If 110 people want an orange and 9 people want an apple you are 10 oranges shy while there is still 1 apple left.
The issue here is that these are consumables so but you understand my point.  Cheesy
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:24:40 PM

I know that many believes that bitcoin should be "the internet cash" ... I'm really sorry but can't see it as cash ... in my mind cash is something to pay bills, salary, tax, and should be easy as possible to use like fiat ... for me bitcoin is be like gold and a financial instrument of investment ... crazy but when I buy a miner hardware is more like a buy a bond ... when I go to exchange for day trade .. it's like stock ... but the last thing I think of is bitcoin as money ... maybe I am blind .. I dont know ..

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
NotLambchop

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:30:56 PM

You guys miss the point..... Bitcoin is commonly sold and the price is quoted in units of 1BTC, gold is commonly sold and the price is quoted in units of troy ounces.

In that case, I'm 100% against switching to bits or Satoshi -- Bitcoin would suddenly become much more common.  If units like BTC and Satoshi exist side-by-side like they do today, Bitcoin remains a paradox -- Incredibly rare and incredibly common at the same time. Smiley

How rare is one bitcoin compared to one troy ounce of gold?  Please do tell me the proper method for coming up with an answer to that question. I would love to see if you come up with something different than what I did.

You determine the amount of radiation in the number "5," multiply that by obesity, and factor out love.  Seems obvious.

Also, I am attempting to establish rarity based on the total existence of something.

Lets say for example you are locked in a room... outside the room nothing exists, the only thing that exists is what is inside the room... follow me? good...

Now lets say in this room you have 100 oranges and 10 apples. How much more rare are apples than oranges? Apples are ten times rarer than oranges right? Does it matter that you can cut an apple into pieces? Does it matter that you can stack 100 oranges into a crate? no... there are 10 times more oranges in existence than apples.

The problem with this analogy is you're comparing numbers to numbers -- countable apples to countable oranges.  This is handy if you hand them out to kids, but becomes irrelevant if you do other stuff, like sell them by weight or make jam.  Then you no longer care about count and start worrying about weight.  If the apples in the room are huge, and oranges puny, then apples suddenly become more common.

I'm comparing quantities in existence, doesn't matter if gold and bitcoin can be combined or melted down, I'm talking one troy ounce of gold, how many exist on the planet, and one bitcoin on the bitcoin network how many exist on this planet.

Then what you established is the ratio of arbitrary units, the number of BTC vs. oz. of gold.  Since both units are arbitrary, this relationship has rather limited usefulness.

All you logic geniuses please show me the proper way to establish a baseline of how rare one bitcoin is to one troy ounce of gold if you think I'm so wrong.

Not all well-formed formulas have solutions, but that's not relevant here.  You start with a formula that is not well-formed, and you demand an answer.
How many 6 yellow is with forty-five then inside?
cbutters (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:53:52 PM

Then what you established is the ratio of arbitrary units, the number of BTC vs. oz. of gold.  Since both units are arbitrary, this relationship has rather limited usefulness.

I agree that that my entire comparison is extremely limited in its usefulness, and in no way has really any applicable usage except as a thought exercise about the potential growth case for bitcoin. It has never been the point of this thread to make any sort of actual real world prediction.

To your argument about arbitrary units; BTC and troy ounces of gold are the exact opposite of arbitrary, they are measurable and verifiable. In the case of bitcoin it is mathematical / programmatical fact. (to see what an actual arbitrary unit is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrary_unit )

In that case, I'm 100% against switching to bits or Satoshi -- Bitcoin would suddenly become much more common.  If units like BTC and Satoshi exist side-by-side like they do today, Bitcoin remains a paradox -- Incredibly rare and incredibly common at the same time. Smiley

Don't you realize that 1 Bitcoin = 1,000 mBTC, 1 Bitcoin = 1,000,000 bits? 1 Bitcoin = 100,000,000 satoshis?
These aren't interchangable terms, if you don't understand what a bitcoin is and how it is generated, and how many will be generated, I recommend you read up on it because it is fascinating.

My argument is 100% factual, verifiable, measurable and non-arbitrary. Let me put it in different words and see if you still have a problem with my statement.

For every 1 unit of Bitcoin (that is 1 BTC, 100,000,000 satoshis) in existence,  there are 457 troy ounces of gold in existence.

I don't think I can construct a sentence less arbitrarily than that.
NotLambchop

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:49:03 AM

Re. "arbitrary unit":
Not intended as technical jargon, simply as "arbitrarily chosen unit."  I'm from Russia, we use the metric system, the troy ounce sounds as archaic and anachronistic to me as cubit would (i'm guessing here) sound to you.  Further, unlike gram, which is the basic unit of mass in the metric system, the ounce is one of many units of mass in the imperial system (you don't have miliounces, kiloounces etc,. etc -- you have grains, pounds etc., etc).

So you might as well go for grains.  Or pounds.  Or cubits.

Re.  "For every 1 unit of Bitcoin (that is 1 BTC, 100,000,000 satoshis) in existence,  there are 457 troy ounces of gold in existence.":
That's fine.  For every Satoshi there's 470/100,000,000 troy ounces.  The equation remains correct, it represents the same thing, only with Satoshi as the basic unit of Bitcoin, Bitcoin is suddenly 100,000,000 times more common.  See why I want to keep BTC instead of bit as a standard?

Don't devalue muh Bitcoin Angry

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 03:58:04 AM

In that case, I'm 100% against switching to bits or Satoshi -- Bitcoin would suddenly become much more common.  If units like BTC and Satoshi exist side-by-side like they do today, Bitcoin remains a paradox -- Incredibly rare and incredibly common at the same time. Smiley

I had to re-read the second page of this thread 3 times to catch the sarcasm here.

Your comparison was correct, but arbitrary.

Using your logic (but with a different unit for gold), 171,300 Tonnes of gold exist for every 12,730,000 Bitcoins. This makes one ton of gold 74.3 times more rare than one Bitcoin.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: