Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:27:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Sub-Forum out of control - SPAM  (Read 1677 times)
bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:42:54 AM

Some of you might recall, the old GAMBLING sub-forum and the amount of threads that were created for games....then THANKFULLY limited once they got out of hand.

It seems there is another sub-forum in the same state currently and only getting worse as time goes on.

The AUCTIONS sub-forum in the MARKETPLACE.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=73.0

At this point, it might as well be re-labelled the tiptopgemdotcom forum, as that is all that I notice when visiting it.
This is frankly nothing more than S P A M ........ 23 separate threads on the first page (last time I checked).
This user is OUT OF CONTROL and needs to consolidate things.

I would say that c0ffer is a close 2nd to tiptopgemdotcom in the grand scheme of things.

What do cheezy gems have to do with Bitcoin again ?

I would hope that the mods check this out and decide on an appropriate course of action, as this is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance.
bitlane.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 07:30:39 PM

The auctions are in Bitcoin.

You can still see back 6 days on page 1 alone, so I don't really see the problem.

bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 10:12:38 PM

The auctions are in Bitcoin.

You can still see back 6 days on page 1 alone, so I don't really see the problem.
That wasn't even the point.

The SPAM is the 50-odd posts by the same user for the same or atleast similar crap.

He should list it all in a single thread, AS WHAT THE GAMBLING FORUM WAS FORCED TO DO.

BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:46:55 AM

The SPAM is the 50-odd posts by the same user for the same or atleast similar crap.

He should list it all in a single thread, AS WHAT THE GAMBLING FORUM WAS FORCED TO DO.

I agree. He can have one thread for all his sales; taking half the threads in the Auction subforum is ridiculous.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:50:01 AM

I agree. He can have one thread for all his sales; taking half the threads in the Auction subforum is ridiculous.

That doesn't even make any sense I'm afraid. Spam or otherwise, the auction sub-forum was set up to be item-specific. Unless that is changed, each thread should be for a specific item, not item's, as it could get very complicated very fast.

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 02:58:36 AM

That doesn't even make any sense I'm afraid. Spam or otherwise, the auction sub-forum was set up to be item-specific. Unless that is changed, each thread should be for a specific item, not item's, as it could get very complicated very fast.

Hmm. I can understand how that would be a problem, guess that idea won't work. Looking on the subforum right now, ~75% of the auctions are gem-related. Could we create a sub-subforum for just those?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:00:32 AM

Hmm. I can understand how that would be a problem, guess that idea won't work. Looking on the subforum right now, ~75% of the auctions are gem-related. Could we create a sub-subforum for just those?

To be honest, it makes more sense to just ignore limit the amount of open auctions you can have at any given time. Either that or start charging to list items.

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:05:59 AM

To be honest, it makes more sense to just ignore limit the amount of open auctions you can have at any given time. Either that or start charging to list items.

I doubt charging would be well received or work; more likely we'd just see "variable-price/best offer sales" listed in the Marketplace. Limiting the amount of open auctions seems like it could easily be bypassed by creating multiple user accounts; though it would be easy to delete threads/users. Both options would require significant moderation, in any case.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:14:42 AM

As Matthew mentioned, topics in "Auctions" are item-specific, so this can't really be fixed without creating annoying restrictions or adding subsections for very specific things.

Solutions:
- You can post your auctions elsewhere. Auctions are not required to go in the "auctions" section.
- You can advertise your auction in another section so that people don't have to dig through many other auctions to see yours.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:24:28 AM

True enough, but both of those solutions essentially result in the Auction sub-forum turning into a tiptopgem.com advertising forum. I'm not insomuch concerned about auctioneers not being able to have visible threads as a subsection of the forum turning into uni-company advertising. The auction subforum was intended for auctions; if auctioneers will gain little exposure there due to it being purely advertising for gems, it seems to have lost its function.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 03:42:24 AM

The auction subforum was intended for auctions;
Its primary purpose was to be a place where people can't edit their posts. One thing I could see us doing is making a board to advertise auctions, and having the current board be the place for the "raw" individual auctions. But, I do not believe that this is yet a problem.

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:10:26 AM

Its primary purpose was to be a place where people can't edit their posts. One thing I could see us doing is making a board to advertise auctions, and having the current board be the place for the "raw" individual auctions. But, I do not believe that this is yet a problem.

Fair enough. We certainly could have one thread per seller in the "Auction Advertising" forum and then one thread per item in the "Raw Auction" forum.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:16:35 AM

Fair enough. We certainly could have one thread per seller in the "Auction Advertising" forum and then one thread per item in the "Raw Auction" forum.

Managing that individually would be a pain in the butt and I don't think any additions to the existing forum software would be worthwhile considering that's a feature already planned for the new code.

Let's just grin and bear it shall we?

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 04:22:41 AM

Managing that individually would be a pain in the butt and I don't think any additions to the existing forum software would be worthwhile considering that's a feature already planned for the new code.

Let's just grin and bear it shall we?

As long as that's a sure thing for the new code, I'm content. Just expressing my opinion, nothing more.

bitlane (OP)
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 07:50:38 PM

Solutions:
- You can post your auctions elsewhere. Auctions are not required to go in the "auctions" section.
- You can advertise your auction in another section so that people don't have to dig through many other auctions to see yours.
The only problem with THAT, is, the people that used your solution would then be considered cross-posting SPAM'rs in the process as well as OFF-TOPIC posters.....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: