Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:10:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pool shares and witholding blocks  (Read 917 times)
Costia (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 11:16:55 AM

what prevents me from submitting only low difficulty blocks to a pool as proof of work, and submitting a real block, if i find it, through my solo miner to get the entire 50BTC for myself?
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 11:19:31 AM

what prevents me from submitting only low difficulty blocks to a pool as proof of work

Nothing.

and submitting a real block, if i find it, through my solo miner to get the entire 50BTC for myself?

Alongside of other reasons, pool provide you only block HEADERS, so you don't have complete block to broadcast it to network. This has been discussed wildly here, use "Search" feature of this forum.

Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 11:21:42 AM

The block you're signing contains the payout to the pool's wallet.  If you change that to your private wallet your hash is no longer valid.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 11:51:02 AM

thanks
i actually didnt know what exactly to search for - so i didnt find any answers
I started wondering about this because of the p2pool
It seems to me that the miners there get the transaction data from their local bitcoind and not just the hash from the pool itself
But it seems the defense mechanism  there is a bit different:
The 50BTC of a new block in that pool do not go to the pool's address , but directly to the members.
If the attacker uses the modified version which does not include payments to the other members - his shares will be rejected by the members (and the separate shares block chain)since they dont include the payments. this way he is actually mining solo - getting the full 50BTC but no shares from the pool
If the attacker wants to get the pool shares - he will have to include the payments to the members in the transactions of all tested blocks. since the real difficulty block is random - it will contain those payments as well
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 07:30:24 PM

thanks
i actually didnt know what exactly to search for - so i didnt find any answers
I started wondering about this because of the p2pool
It seems to me that the miners there get the transaction data from their local bitcoind and not just the hash from the pool itself
But it seems the defense mechanism  there is a bit different:
The 50BTC of a new block in that pool do not go to the pool's address , but directly to the members.
If the attacker uses the modified version which does not include payments to the other members - his shares will be rejected by the members (and the separate shares block chain)since they dont include the payments. this way he is actually mining solo - getting the full 50BTC but no shares from the pool
If the attacker wants to get the pool shares - he will have to include the payments to the members in the transactions of all tested blocks. since the real difficulty block is random - it will contain those payments as well

This is true for regular pools too! The pool will only credit you for work matching a header they gave you.

Costia (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 08:35:22 PM

I i understood how it works correctly, while the idea is the same the wya it is done is different because the header is generated by the pool client and not he pool server. (merged mining is also possible there)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: