Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:52:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you buy a token that represents a managed service of hosted BTC Miners?
yes
no
i dunno

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Mining Managed Service Coin  (Read 793 times)
prophetx (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 06:11:03 PM

Imagine that you could anonymous buy multiples of a token (using bitcoin network) that represents 1 gigahash with btc.  the token would represent a virtual piece of an ASIC at 1 GH increments.  You would get paid in BTC based on the mining awards to the entire farm at the percentage of tokens you own divided by the total outstanding (assuming your payout reaches a minimum threshold).  The token would stop paying out when the cost of running the miners (people, power, space, etc) is higher than the gross mining award proceeds.

Also you would be easily able to buy and sell this token either peer to peer, send it to other addresses, or sell/buy on a regular exchange.

How much would you pay for 1 gigahash?

Theoretically some exchange could then offer a way to short this coin if you believe that difficulty is rising too high, too fast.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:32:03 AM

Well, I can't answer this "simply" question without involving more research about it with a lot of considerations/speculations, beside a good chunk of time and some maths.

But if you were only asking me if I could be interested in considering such a proposal, then yes, I surely would know more about it to understand if it's a good deal or not.
prophetx (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 01:08:33 PM

Well, I can't answer this "simply" question without involving more research about it with a lot of considerations/speculations, beside a good chunk of time and some maths.

But if you were only asking me if I could be interested in considering such a proposal, then yes, I surely would know more about it to understand if it's a good deal or not.

wait isnt this the mining speculation forum?  

shouldnt you all have some rough idea of how much a 1 GH miner would cost to operate and produce in profit? and then derive the expected present value of the risk adjusted income stream?

it has nothing to do with what I propose.  c'mon someone has to know??
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:59:46 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 09:44:23 PM by abacus

wait isnt this the mining speculation forum? 

shouldnt you all have some rough idea of how much a 1 GH miner would cost to operate and produce in profit? and then derive the expected present value of the risk adjusted income stream?

it has nothing to do with what I propose.  c'mon someone has to know??

Well, you started your thread with a poll asking "Would you buy a token that represents a managed service of hosted BTC Miners?" and I answered that Yes, but it depends by some factors. Are you sure it has nothing to do with what you propose?

Anyway, going more straight to your question "How much would you pay for 1 gigahash?", let's put some raw data into a mining calculator such as mining.thegenesisblock.com and see what happens.

Considering it is a managed mining service, I need to fill only the Cost of Hardware field and I can zero the following params:
- Power Use
- Shipping Costs
- Misc Costs
- Pool Fee
- Electricity Costs

Let's use 1TH instead of 1GH to improve the readability and also use only BTC to eliminate any BTC/USD change speculation.

Then, to answer your question, we have to define two major things: expected break-even point and expected monthly difficulty increase (only the latter has its own input field on the calculator). Of course small changes in these two input params would result in way different output. I think that defining these two params is not easy at all and it involves speculations, knowledge, personal convinciments and also some luck. I was mostly referring to them when I wrote "I can't answer without involving more research".

So when we want to reach break-even in our simulation? What about 6 months (180 days)? Is it fair enough? (not to me, considering how fast things can change in BTC world, I would like to have a shorter period, that can be obtained, in this case, only with a lower buying cost or a lower difficulty increase).

And what about monthly difficulty increase? Well, put in your own values, I really don't want to speculate on this endless matter. But just for a test purpose, what about a 30% as average monthly increase for the next months? The calculator shows 45% as monthly Historical Difficulty Increase, but let's insert 30%.

Well, all that considered, I can obtain the 180 day break-even when I fill the Cost of Hardware field with 5.8 or 5.9 BTC (for 1TH).

So to answer your question with some raw numbers, I would say 0.0058BTC for GH.
(I mean I would start to consider your offer if it's lower or equal to 0.0058BTC for GH)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: