Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:38:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Feature that tracks purchasing power?  (Read 801 times)
inBitweTrust (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:05:16 PM

A thought came to me and I wonder if anyone has incorporated this into any wallet as of yet?

One undeniable weakness with Bitcoin right now is its volatility and how this negatively impacts pricing things directly in Bitcoin as BTC isn't a stable unit of account for valuation of a good or service.

If you are receiving lots of inputs from payments or purchases of bitcoins and each one comes in at a different valuation with purchasing power depending upon the whim of the volatile market it is difficult to track every individual price of BTC.

Some hot wallets like coinbase has incorporated a feature that allows you to automatically buy back the same BTC you spend. This has a few shortcomings like forcing you to use a hot wallet, not allowing you to automatically track BTC received values from money coming in, and not tracking independent investments automatically.

What If a wallet was designed with a separate database table that queried a composite exchange rate and tracked all money coming in so you know from an accounting perspective when is the best time to make a purchase is?

Example-
Received Funds---
2 BTC bought when Bitcoin is valued at 600 USD
0.11 BTC received for payment when Bitcoin is valued at 500 USD
0.3 BTC bought when Bitcoin is valued at 700 USD
0.5 BTC received for a tip when Bitcoin is valued at 495 USD

So the wallet would track this accounting automatically behind the scenes and than show your total amount of BTC and the Total spendable BTC separately(from the sense that you won't lose money if you spend it)

If you go to purchase something and BTC is worth 500 USD you would see this-
Total - 2.91 BTC
Spendable - 0.61 BTC

If you go to purchase something and BTC is worth 605 USD you would see this-
Total - 2.91 BTC
Spendable - 2.61 BTC

This way you would never lose money and always be purchasing items at a discount by making BTC's volatility work for you.

Is their a wallet that does this or one in the works?
Would you find this feature useful?
"Total Spendable" isn't the perfect description of what that value should be called because everything is technically spendable ... any better ideas?

Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:11:29 PM

Wouldn't be overly difficult to do.  You're just storing an extra value with each send / receive, then developing the reporting tools for it.

Loads of developers around here that can quite easily do that.  If you'd like a quote, feel free to PM me.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 07:28:21 PM

electrum already does this Smiley

inBitweTrust (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:06:40 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 09:21:50 PM by inBitweTrust

thnx... are you sure ?

I looked through all their documentation , installed the wallet and sent money to it and looked everywhere and I see no evidence of this feature.

the only thing I see under tools> plugins> Exchange rates = shows the total USD of my whole wallet balance and nothing more....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: